The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

Former field hockey and cricket legend, Michael F. “Mike” Shepherdson, died last night at his family home in Lucky Garden, Bangsar, The New Straits Times reported. He was 85.

The report said Shepherdson represented Malaya in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics and went on to represent Malaysia at the Asian Games in Tokyo in 1958 and in Jakarta in 1962 where Malaysia won a bronze medal.

SC

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/former-hockey-olympian-mike-shepherdson-043901547.html

• Like 1

Andy Ganteaume, the former West Indies and Trinidad & Tobago wicketkeeper-batsman, has died at the age of 95. He passed away on Wednesday in Santa Margarita, St Augustine, T&T. Ganteaume was West Indies' oldest living Test cricketer, and the world's second oldest, behind South Africa's Lindsay Tuckett.

SC

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/973485.html

Of note here is the name of the oldest living cricket player *grabs notebook and pencil*

Former Maharashtra legspinner Sunil Gudge, 56, passed away on Tuesday at his residence in Pune, following a heart attack. “He was watching TV at home when he suffered the heart attack,” according to informed sources. Born in Pune on December 31, 1959, the legspinner and handy lower-order batsman played 55 first-class matches during a career lasting a decade and a half.

OK what the fucking hell is a legspinner and I mean apart from a strip club? There's no way in hell a position on the cricket field is 'legspinner' please say it ain't so.

SirC

http://www.cricketliveguide.com/2016/05/04/former-maharashtra-legspinner-gudge-dies/

Former Maharashtra legspinner Sunil Gudge, 56, passed away on Tuesday at his residence in Pune, following a heart attack. “He was watching TV at home when he suffered the heart attack,” according to informed sources. Born in Pune on December 31, 1959, the legspinner and handy lower-order batsman played 55 first-class matches during a career lasting a decade and a half.

OK what the fucking hell is a legspinner and I mean apart from a strip club? There's no way in hell a position on the cricket field is 'legspinner' please say it ain't so.

SirC

http://www.cricketliveguide.com/2016/05/04/former-maharashtra-legspinner-gudge-dies/

There is no position on a cricket pitch called legspinner. Happy now? :D

• Like 3

It's not a position its a type of delivery (read pitch). The closest baseball equivalent is perhaps a knuckleballer, somebody who doesn't do fast deliveries/pitches and is named after what he throws not where he stands. Thus a legspinner throws legspin deliveries.

SirC

There is no position on a cricket pitch called legspinner. Happy now? :D

That said, there are some delightfully named fielding positions in cricket.

800px-Cricketfieldingpositions.jpg

• Like 3

The silly being so named because you'd have to be silly to stand that close to a bloke smashing a cricket ball at you :P.

• Like 1

The silly being so named because you'd have to be silly to stand that close to a bloke smashing a cricket ball at you :P.

My grandfather was a wicket keeper, so he must have been quite silly too :P

Absolutely not, wicket isn't a foreign term to those who have scant knowledge of cricket. Spinner/legspinner otoh....

SC

It's not a position its a type of delivery (read pitch). The closest baseball equivalent is perhaps a knuckleballer, somebody who doesn't do fast deliveries/pitches and is named after what he throws not where he stands. Thus a legspinner throws legspin deliveries.

Perhaps Sir Creep would also like to know that one of a leg spinner's most lethal (in a cricket not a death list sense) balls is a googly.

• Like 1

Absolutely not, wicket isn't a foreign term to those who have scant knowledge of cricket. Spinner/legspinner otoh....

SC

Not my point, which was that the wicket keeper is in a fairly dangerous spot as well, and when my grandfather was playing they only had caps and moustaches as head protection.

• Like 1

J J Warr, who played in two tests for England, has died at 88. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36250157

Just in case someone thought of picking him for the Scavenger Hunt DP.

Born just too late for the Bodyline Warr.

best I can do with it, I'll get my coat...

Tony Cozier, West Indian commentator, has died after an illness.

Deepak Shodan the oldest Indian Test cricketer has died

Which was a disappointment to the person who had picked him for the Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool.

Half way through swearing I checked my team and found it wasn't actually me.

• Like 1

Deepak Shodan the oldest Indian Test cricketer has died

Which was a disappointment to the person who had picked him for the Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool.

Half way through swearing I checked my team and found it wasn't actually me.

The individual, who must be congratulated for getting close, has been informed via PM.

Deleted

Former New Zealand off-spinner Peter Petherick, a late-bloomer who became one of only three cricketers to take a hat trick on his test debut, has died. He was 72. Petherick died in Perth, Australia on Sunday, New Zealand Cricket said. The cause of death was not disclosed.

SC

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-zealand-spinner-peter-petherick-dies-72-202445620.html?ref=gs

Died in June 2015. Read the articles properly before you cut and paste them onto here.

Hamza Ali , a 20 year old Hampshire prospect, drowns..

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36488232