themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Feel good for 2013 boys. So close to a top 10 this year and that's still not out of the question yet.

Imagine a boxer prior to the first bell, prowling nervously around his corner, menacingly staring down his opponent, occasionally banging the side of his head with his gloves.

well that's me, Long golden robe adorned with a diamante cluster across the back spelling out the name 'Going Underground'. Prepared and ready for the DDP 2013 battle.

For me, it's always been a combination of studying form hereabouts and adding hunches. To date the consistent approach has produced inconsistent results - though the form studying used to pay off in the days when the complex scoring system applied on the HPDP and points changed depending on the order in which the picks died. There's an unexpected window of opportunity at work tomorrow and I thought I'd appaul my Daily Mail reading middle-Englander workmate by devoting the time between morning coffee and lunch to putting the DDP team together.

Remember folks, DDP can double as Deathrace teams (current 2013 Deathrace entries = 0).

For me, it's always been a combination of studying form hereabouts and adding hunches. To date the consistent approach has produced inconsistent results - though the form studying used to pay off in the days when the complex scoring system applied on the HPDP and points changed depending on the order in which the picks died. There's an unexpected window of opportunity at work tomorrow and I thought I'd appaul my Daily Mail reading middle-Englander workmate by devoting the time between morning coffee and lunch to putting the DDP team together.

Remember folks, DDP can double as Deathrace teams (current 2013 Deathrace entries = 0).

My attempt to retain the deathrace crown will be sent to you, as I suspect many others will, on the 31st December.

I keep a longlist throughout the year on a Google Document and jot down anyone mentioned here, or that I see mentioned as being sick elsewhere, on it, along with a few words about why they're ill. December is then spent chasing up every single entry and seeing what the news has been since then. I have an "actually could be selected" longlist of about 50 names, and I have a rough idea of who 15 of my 20 picks will be.

I think the number one mistake DDP entries make is overestimating the usefulness of the unique bonus.

Feel good for 2013 boys. So close to a top 10 this year and that's still not out of the question yet.

Imagine a boxer prior to the first bell, prowling nervously around his corner, menacingly staring down his opponent, occasionally banging the side of his head with his gloves.

well that's me, Long golden robe adorned with a diamante cluster across the back spelling out the name 'Going Underground'. Prepared and ready for the DDP 2013 battle.

I see myself right now as more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258k70qnNM8

My attempt to retain the deathrace crown will be sent to you, as I suspect many others will, on the 31st December.

I keep a longlist throughout the year on a Google Document and jot down anyone mentioned here, or that I see mentioned as being sick elsewhere, on it, along with a few words about why they're ill. December is then spent chasing up every single entry and seeing what the news has been since then. I have an "actually could be selected" longlist of about 50 names, and I have a rough idea of who 15 of my 20 picks will be.

I think the number one mistake DDP entries make is overestimating the usefulness of the unique bonus.

Aha!

Wondered if people were thinking like that. Have a looksie at the DR Rules, an an attempt to get it live for the start of the year the closing date this year is 30 December, I should be putting the final touches to the masterlist on 31 December and load it once I crawl out from the festivities that night.

I see myself right now as more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258k70qnNM8

I thought that was Jimmy Savile at first ... :o

Well i had picked 20 names at the start of december about 5 or 6 have died so need to pick some more and three spares.

Shall be entering this again after Christmas. We always need cannon fodder after all.

As long as David Blaine manages to off himself somehow between now and the 31st, that unique bonus will have done me proud this year!

I've gone from 50 names to 25 in the last few weeks, getting rid of Borgonovo, SeungEun Lee, Hallenga, Nolan, and all of my current DDP entry save 3 names.

Interesting - why Borgonovo and Nolan - I would've said they are pretty strong candidates?

I've got 16 of my 20 locked in, so I've got space for last minute entries and to weigh up between Nolan, Buell, Presley and Talabani...

I've gone from 50 names to 25 in the last few weeks, getting rid of Borgonovo, SeungEun Lee, Hallenga, Nolan, and all of my current DDP entry save 3 names.

Interesting - why Borgonovo and Nolan - I would've said they are pretty strong candidates?

I've got 16 of my 20 locked in, so I've got space for last minute entries and to weigh up between Nolan, Buell, Presley and Talabani...

They certainly are strong candidates, but not as strong as the people I replaced them with. Borgonovo is currently one of my alts, due to the death of Andrew Andre.

5 year medium survival rate, diagnosed 2008, wasn't Borgonovo?

ALS and motor neurone type diseases get folk in the end. Del Deanus, the former Edgware Town manager mentioned a few times on here, died last month, but he seemed to have disappeared off the radar. Mind you, I only remembered him because I stumbled across CP's old mega post the other day looking for hints...

As it stands I got 15 "definitely gonna be on" picks. 9 others I'm debating on including Borgonovo and Nolan who will more likely than not end up on my team, but won't regard as shoe-ins just yet in case some other names turn up...

It's always contemplating the last couple of names and making transitions until the final days. The game of death can be very misleading and judging by the multitude of hits over the last year or two it seems anything can happen. If you wait it can be too late .. fortune favors the gambler.

5 year medium survival rate, diagnosed 2008, wasn't Borgonovo?

ALS and motor neurone type diseases get folk in the end. Del Deanus, the former Edgware Town manager mentioned a few times on here, died last month, but he seemed to have disappeared off the radar. Mind you, I only remembered him because I stumbled across CP's old mega post the other day looking for hints...

Joost van der Westhuizen was given 2-5 years with ALS. Gianluca Signorini survived for 4 years with it. So yeah, Borgonovo's definitely staying on mine, even though I've heard nothing on his health. Might even make him joker if my current one doesn't make it, although I have a couple of candidates for that. The only caveat is that there is a small chance he might not get an obit

I sent in one of my theme teams using the form on the DDP site a couple of days ago. Should I have had an acknowledgement of any kind? Only I kept getting a pesky box popping up asking for passwords or some such nonsense, so am not sure if the thing went off successfully or not.

I sent in one of my theme teams using the form on the DDP site a couple of days ago. Should I have had an acknowledgement of any kind? Only I kept getting a pesky box popping up asking for passwords or some such nonsense, so am not sure if the thing went off successfully or not.

Which team was that then?

Nearer My God To Thee ;)

Nearer My God To Thee ;)

Hmmm nothing.

That thing popping could well be the default Outlook. although I did have an issue with it the other day.

Send an email with the mail service you're using to ddp2013@derbydeadpool.co.uk

On its way. Glad I checked!

The die is cast. I just sent in my DDP 2013 main team, The Grey Horde.

Now it's research time for my theme team.

regards,

Hein

I'm a bit concerned that I have not received confirmation that my team (Death grips await) has been accepted into the DDP 2013.

I'm a bit concerned that I have not received confirmation that my team (Death grips await) has been accepted into the DDP 2013.

Well I got it. I wasn't going to send individual confirmation emails as that takes up time, however I will send a mass email to the ones who have entered so far before Xmas and one after Jan 1st for the later arrivals...

• Like 1

Thanks, I am new to this and after reading previously that a message had gone astray, I thought it best to check.

After my original bravado about my 2013 chances i now feel somewhat deflated. Just been right through my provisional list of possibilities and am none too convinced.

Giving each possibility a 1-5 rating of dying (5 being the best chance), i only have two picks that even warrant a 4 let alone a 5

In the run up to this years comp there were loads of 5's on my list that all delivered Obits. Etta James, Robin Gibb, Geoffery Hughes, Jim Stynes. And the rest of my hits were solid 4's

Unless my research has been seriously waning I don't see too many glaringly obvious picks this year. Biggsy, Mandela, Castro and the like have proved they have far too much resilience to be classed as bankers nowadays.

For 2013 I predict the lowest scoring DDP since the new scoring system came in to play.