Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

Recent Bilardo image

More new images here. He's "fine" but "not the same as before" and under 24/7 care 

• Like 2

George Cohen dead at 83.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 25/11/2021 at 09:03, whoismakoto said:

I've listed living footballers who played in 1970 World Cup. If a living player is missing, it means the player has played in a previous World Cup

Mexico
Francisco Montes
Mario Pérez
Marcos Rivas
Horacio López Salgado
José Vantolrá
Héctor Pulido
Javier Valdivia
Juan Ignacio Basaguren
Francisco Castrejón

Soviet Union
Leonid Shmuts
Revaz Dzodzuashvili
Evgeny Lovchev
Valeri Zykov
Nikolay Kiselyov
Vladimir Muntyan
Anatoliy Byshovets

Belgium
Paul van Himst
Christian Piot
Georges Heylens
Jean Thissen
Nicolas Dewalque
Léon Semmeling
Johan Devrindt
Maurice Martens
Erwin Vandendaele
Odilon Polleunis
Jan Verheyen
Raoul Lambert
Frans Janssens
Jacques Duquesne

El Salvador
Salvador Mariona
Pipo Rodríguez
Jorge Vásquez
Juan Ramón Martínez
Salvador Cabezas
Ernesto Aparicio
Mario Monge
Tomás Pineda
Mauricio Manzano
David Cabrera
Genaro Sermeño
Jaime Portillo
Guillermo Castro
Gualberto Fernández

Italy
Fabrizio Poletti
Comunardo Niccolai
Giorgio Puia
Mario Bertini
Gigi Riva
Dino Zoff
Angelo Domenghini
Giancarlo De Sisti
Lido Vieri
Sergio Gori
Roberto Boninsegna
Giuseppe Furino
Pierluigi Cera

Sweden
Ronnie Hellström
Hans Selander
Björn Nordqvist
Roland Grip
Tommy Svensson
Bo Larsson
Leif Eriksson
Ove Kindvall
Örjan Persson
Sven-Gunnar Larsson
Claes Cronqvist
Krister Kristensson
Leif Målberg
Thomas Nordahl
Ronney Pettersson
Jan Olsson
Inge Ejderstedt
Sten Pålsson

Uruguay
Julio Montero Castillo
Atilio Ancheta
Roberto Matosas
Ildo Maneiro
Rodolfo Sandoval
Francisco Cámera
Dagoberto Fontes
Rúben Bareño
Alberto Gómez
Oscar Zubía
Julio César Cortés
Walter Corbo
Julio Morales
Julio Losada

Israel
Itzhak Vissoker
Menachem Bello
Shraga Bar
David Primo
Itzhak Shum
Giora Spiegel
Yehoshua Feigenbaum
Mordechai Spiegler
Rachamim Talbi    
Yochanan Vollach
Eli Ben Rimoz
Moshe Romano
Roni Shuruk
Yechiel Hameiri
Yair Nossovsky
Zvi Rosen
Shmuel Rosenthal
George Borba
Yehezkel Chazom
Moshe Romano
David Karako

Brazil
Brito
Piazza
Clodoaldo
Tostao
Rivellino
Ado
Roberto
Baldocchi
Caju
Dario
Ze Maria
Leao

England
Alan Mullery
Francis Lee
Alex Stepney
Tommy Wright

Czechoslovakia
Ivo Viktor
Karol Dobias
Ladislav Petras
Alexander Horvath
Bohumil Vesely
Ján Pivarník
Anton Flešár
Ivan Hrdlička
Josef Jurkanin
Milan Albrecht
Ján Čapkovič
Alexander Vencel

Romania
Radu Nunweiller
Vasile Gergely
Răducanu Necula
Lajos Sătmăreanu
Cornel Dinu
Emerich Dembrovschi
Mircea Lucescu
Ion Dumitru
Marin Tufan
Flavius Domide

West Germany
Berti Vogts
Klaus Fichtel
Peter Dietrich
Manfred Manglitz
Horst Wolter

Peru
Luis Rubinos
Eloy Campos
Orlando de la Torre
Ramon Mifflin
Roberto Challe
Hugo Sotil
Teofilo Cubillas
Oswaldo Ramirez
Rubén Correa
Pedro González
José Fernández
Félix Salinas
José del Castillo
Eladio Reyes
Jesus Goyzueta
Héctor Chumpitaz

Bulgaria
Stefan Aladzhov
Georgi Popov
Hristo Bonev
Stoyan Yordanov
Asparuh Nikodimov
Todor Kolev
Bozhidar Grigorov
Georgi Kamenski

Morocco
Moulay Khanousi
Mohammed El Filali
Boujemaa Benkhrif
Mohammed Mahroufi
Said Ghandi
Ahmed Faras
Maouhoub Ghazouani
Jalili Fadili
Ahmed Alaoui
Abdelkader El Khiati
Abdelkader Ouaraghli

Genaro Sermeño died on 12/23 at the age of 74, he wore shirt number 16 in the 1970 cup and is the ninth to die on that team, out of a total of 23, counting the coach

he died as a result of complications from diabetes

https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Fallecio-el-ex-mundialista-salvadoreno-Genaro-Antonio-Sermeno-20221223-0006.html

• Like 1

Andrzej Iwan has died aged 63. He was on the Polish Team for the 1978 World Cup and also the 1982 World Cup at which Poland finished third.

• Like 7

On 25/12/2022 at 13:27, Sinbabad said:

he was the first member of the 24 team of Uruguay from the 2002 cup to die, he wore the 10 in that cup
And the third of the Uruguayan team in the 1993 Copa America (he wore shirt number 19), out of a total of 23 (technicians included)

On 27/12/2022 at 10:38, Thatcher said:

Andrzej Iwan  morreu aos 63 anos. Ele estava na seleção polonesa na Copa do Mundo de 1978 e também na Copa do Mundo de 1982, na qual a Polônia terminou em terceiro.

wore shirt number 7 in 78 and was the 7th to die among 23 of the selection (technician included), in 82 he wore the 19th and is the 3rd to die among the 23 of that selection

UPDATE following Pele's death.

Last surviv[or(s)/ing] (and still living) footballers of winning teams between 1958 and 1986:

1958 - Dino Sani, Mario Zagallo, Pele, Moacir, Jose "Mazzola" Altafini, Pepe (5 of 22)
1962 - Pele, Pepe, Mengalvio, Jair da Costa, Amarildo, Mario Zagallo (5 of 22)
1966 - Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan, George Eastham (5 of 22)
1970 - six footballers (Felix, Carlos Alberto Torres, Pele, Fontana, Everaldo, Joel Camargo) are dead so far
1974 - three footballers (Juergen Grabowski, Gerd Mueller & Heinz Flohe) are dead so far
1978 - three footballers (Ruben Galvan, Rene Houseman & Leopoldo Luque) are dead so far
1982 - only two footballers (Gaetano Scirea & Paolo Rossi) are dead so far
1986 - three footballers (Jose Luis Brown, Jose Luis Cuciuffo, Diego Maradona) are dead so far

• Like 1

20 hours ago, P94 said:

UPDATE following Pele's death.

Last surviv[or(s)/ing] (and still living) footballers of winning teams between 1958 and 1986:

1958 - Dino Sani, Mario Zagallo, Pele, Moacir, Jose "Mazzola" Altafini, Pepe (5 of 22)
1962 - Pele, Pepe, Mengalvio, Jair da Costa, Amarildo, Mario Zagallo (5 of 22)
1966 - Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan, George Eastham (5 of 22)
1970 - six footballers are dead (Felix, Carlos Alberto Torres, Pele, Fontana, Everaldo, Joel Camargo) so far
1974 - three footballers (Juergen Grabowski, Gerd Mueller & Heinz Flohe) are dead so far
1978 - three footballers (Ruben Galvan, Rene Houseman & Leopoldo Luque) are dead so far
1982 - only two footballers (Gaetano Scirea & Paolo Rossi) are dead so far
1986 - three footballers (Jose Luis Brown, Jose Luis Cuciuffo, Diego Maradona) are dead so far

Zagallo the only survivor of Brazil’s starting line up in the 1958 final. Him and Amarildo the last two of their line up in 1962. 

• Like 1

Horst-Dieter Hottges as some of you might already know, has severe dementia. Earlier this month it seems that his collectibles and memorabilia have been auctioned off according to this German article. Hottges himself looks to have no involvement in this, it's his family who is doing all the work here.

I've not actually heard anything recent about a lot of the players in the Germany 1966 squad. I'll try and do an investigation to see the latest status of these players.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Horst-Dieter Hottges as some of you might already know, has severe dementia. Earlier this month it seems that his collectibles and memorabilia have been auctioned off according to this German article. Hottges himself looks to have no involvement in this, it's his family who is doing all the work here.

I've not actually heard anything recent about a lot of the players in the Germany 1966 squad. I'll try and do an investigation to see the latest status of these players.

It might be worth starting by looking at who did or didn't give a tribute to Pele as they are all contemporaries. Beckenbauer in particular was close to Pele given they both played in the US together at the end of their careers. 

11 hours ago, Deathrace said:

It might be worth starting by looking at who did or didn't give a tribute to Pele as they are all contemporaries. Beckenbauer in particular was close to Pele given they both played in the US together at the end of their careers. 

If I remember correctly, Beckenbauer arrived at New York Cosmos when Pelé left the club.

But they did crossed path at the 1966 and 1970 World Cups

• Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 08:14, TheSpinosaurus said:

I've not actually heard anything recent about a lot of the players in the Germany 1966 squad.

It’s odd to see that of the starting lines-up of the 1966 final, only Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst are alive for England whereas Germany has 7 survivors !

And for the whole squads, only 5 are still standing for England when Germany has  14 !

Even though England and Germany had and still have similar standards of life.

The « George Best » syndrome for England maybe ?

17 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

It’s odd to see that of the starting lines-up of the 1966 final, only Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst are alive for England whereas Germany has 7 survivors !

And for the whole squads, only 5 are still standing for England when Germany has  14 !

Even though England and Germany had and still have similar standards of life.

The « George Best » syndrome for England maybe ?

In fairness, the Germans don't have a Tory-run NHS to contend with. 

After some research this is what I could find on the Germany squad of 1966.

Horst-Dieter Hottges - Suffering from severe dementia, requiring nursing home care and all. His football collectibles and memorabilia were auctioned off by his family in December last year
Franz Beckenbauer - Couldn't fly to Qatar for the World Cup because of his poor health. Beckenbauer's had a ton of health issues over the last couple of years, including heart surgeries and becoming fully blind in his right eye now. I see good chances that he will reach immortal status before he dies.
Wolfgang Overath - All recent pics indicate he's doing well, plus he made a statement on Pele's death.
Karl-Heinz Schnellinger - No news in forever.
Sigfried Held - Looking well in recent appearances and seems to be somewhat involved in football still, attending Bundesliga matches once in a while.
Willi Schulz - 84 years old. Looked well in photos taken of him in 2018 when he was 80, but anything could have happened as Uwe Seeler (also in good shape at the time) was there with him in some of the photos and he's dead now.
Wolfgang Weber - No updates in a while, most recent pic I could find of him was from 2016 where he looked okay.
Sepp Maier - Still quite actively involved in the world of football and seems to be doing very well.
Heinz Hornig - 85 years old. Looks okay in photos in 2018. No news since then.
Max Lorenz - Looked well for his age in public appearance in 2021 at a Bundesliga match.
Friedel Lutz - Again no news in forever.
Bernd Patzke - Still somewhat around in public life and seems to be doing okay.
Gunther Bernard - Just like Schnellinger and Lutz, no info or news at all.

England pretty much doesn't stand a chance, at least 6 or 7 members of this squad are in okay shape or better. Only Hottges and Beckenbauer I know of who are confirmed to be in poor health. Would be interested if there's any info on Schnellinger, Lutz or Bernard that you can find.
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:
Would be interested if there's any info on Schnellinger, Lutz or Bernard that you can find.

I received a letter from Bernard last September so he's probably fine. Schnellinger is an introvert and recluse as I found an article where he only requested a phone interview and no pictures of him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:
After some research this is what I could find on the Germany squad of 1966.

Horst-Dieter Hottges - Suffering from severe dementia, requiring nursing home care and all. His football collectibles and memorabilia were auctioned off by his family in December last year
Franz Beckenbauer - Couldn't fly to Qatar for the World Cup because of his poor health. Beckenbauer's had a ton of health issues over the last couple of years, including heart surgeries and becoming fully blind in his right eye now. I see good chances that he will reach immortal status before he dies.
Wolfgang Overath - All recent pics indicate he's doing well, plus he made a statement on Pele's death.
Karl-Heinz Schnellinger - No news in forever.
Sigfried Held - Looking well in recent appearances and seems to be somewhat involved in football still, attending Bundesliga matches once in a while.
Willi Schulz - 84 years old. Looked well in photos taken of him in 2018 when he was 80, but anything could have happened as Uwe Seeler (also in good shape at the time) was there with him in some of the photos and he's dead now.
Wolfgang Weber - No updates in a while, most recent pic I could find of him was from 2016 where he looked okay.
Sepp Maier - Still quite actively involved in the world of football and seems to be doing very well.
Heinz Hornig - 85 years old. Looks okay in photos in 2018. No news since then.
Max Lorenz - Looked well for his age in public appearance in 2021 at a Bundesliga match.
Friedel Lutz - Again no news in forever.
Bernd Patzke - Still somewhat around in public life and seems to be doing okay.
Gunther Bernard - Just like Schnellinger and Lutz, no info or news at all.

England pretty much doesn't stand a chance, at least 6 or 7 members of this squad are in okay shape or better. Only Hottges and Beckenbauer I know of who are confirmed to be in poor health. Would be interested if there's any info on Schnellinger, Lutz or Bernard that you can find.

Probably England's only chance of having the last survivor from the actual match barring the remaining Germans meeting up and all dying of food poisoning is if Geoff Hurst makes it into his 90s. Possible but odds against. It's totally down to Geoff. 

4 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

I received a letter from Bernard last September so he's probably fine. Schnellinger is an introvert as I found an article where he only requested a phone interview and no pictures of him.

That first sentence sounded like a line from Blackadder. 

On 19/12/2022 at 00:00, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Or worse, secret pancreatic cancer...

Gianluca Vialli, who played for Italy at the 1986 and 1990 World Cup has died from pancréatic cancer https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/06/football/gianluca-vialli-death-spt-intl/index.html

He was one of the nine players who have won the three UEFA competitions : Champions League, Cup winner’s Cup and UEFA Cup

As a coach/player, he led Chelsea to the victory, becoming the youngest coach to win a UEFA club competition. However his record was beat by Andre Villas Boas in 2011 with Porto

Edited by Sinbabad
  • Shocked 1

Gianluca has one c for fuck's sake! 

And no obvious jokes about the Big C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Gianlucca Vialli, que jogou pela Itália nas Copas do Mundo de 1986 e 1990, morreu de câncer no pâncreas https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/06/football/gianluca-vialli-death-spt-intl/index. html

Ele foi um dos nove jogadores que venceram as três competições da UEFA: Liga dos Campeões, Taça das Taças e Taça UEFA

Como treinador/jogador, levou o Chelsea à vitória, tornando-se no treinador mais jovem a vencer uma competição de clubes da UEFA. No entanto, seu recorde foi batido por André Villas Boas em 2011 com o Porto

in the 86 cup he was shirt number 17 and is the 4th to die, in the 90 cup he was shirt number 21 and is the 2nd to die, only the coach had died until today, he was Watford coach in 01-02, the technicians after these years are still alive, captain of the team that won the champions' cup in 96, the only one since 79 who died, top scorer in the Italian Cup in 89, from 90 to now everyone is alive, top scorer in the Italian Serie A in 91, from 89 to here everyone is alive, with the exception of him, the only scorer of the European sub 21 deceased. )Among the players who were part of the best players of the Euro 88 tournament, he is the only one who died, and also the only one who died from the Italian national team of that tournament (coach included)

26 minutes ago, diego said:

in the 86 cup he was shirt number 17 and is the 4th to die, in the 90 cup he was shirt number 21 and is the 2nd to die, only the coach had died until today, he was Watford coach in 01-02, the technicians after these years are still alive, captain of the team that won the champions' cup in 96, the only one since 79 who died, top scorer in the Italian Cup in 89, from 90 to now everyone is alive, top scorer in the Italian Serie A in 91, from 89 to here everyone is alive, with the exception of him, the only scorer of the European sub 21 deceased. )Among the players who were part of the best players of the Euro 88 tournament, he is the only one who died, and also the only one who died from the Italian national team of that tournament (coach included)

On a scale of one to Rain Man, how bad is your autism?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

On a scale of one to Rain Man, how bad is your autism?

I really admire your work here, I love your posts, I'm sad that I'm so annoying to you
I didn't understand your question, maybe because I'm not from your country or your continent, I don't know what this scale is about, sorry, if you can provide some source so I can research it, I'd appreciate it

2 hours ago, diego said:captain of the team that won the champions' cup in 96, the only one since 79 who died

Gaetano Scirea, captain of the Juventus winning side in 1985, died in a car crash in 1989.

• Like 1