Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

The oldest celebs in my database are Zoltan Sarosy (chess player) and Zhou Youguang (father of Pinyin), both born 1906.

Other exciting centenarians include Bobbie Heine Miller (Wimbledon quarterfinalist in 1929), Tyrus Wong (one of the Bambi animators), Robert McCain (John's mum), and Jeremy Hutchison.

And there's the legendary Clare Hollingworth, of course.

Still think Hollingworth is just about notable enough to qualify for inclusion on the DL proper, but that's probably my inky background talking.

Front line reporter during WW2, got the scoop on the Germans invading Poland, front line reporter (one of the only Western ones too) during the Algerian war, uncovered Kim Philby as the third man, was at the scene for Tianneman, and one of the great female trailblazers. I'd definetly say she was, if Chapman Pincher was.

• Like 2

The oldest celebs in my database are Zoltan Sarosy (chess player) and Zhou Youguang (father of Pinyin), both born 1906.

Other exciting centenarians include Bobbie Heine Miller (Wimbledon quarterfinalist in 1929), Tyrus Wong (one of the Bambi animators), Robert McCain (John's mum), and Jeremy Hutchison.

Still think Hollingworth is just about notable enough to qualify for inclusion on the DL proper, but that's probably my inky background talking.

The Telegraph will most likely lead with the obits when she goes. After all she was working for them when she reported the story.

Hollingworth will be one all the broadsheets have an obit nice and ready to go for as well, quite possibly an obit written by someone who is already dead.

Hollingworth will be one all the broadsheets have an obit nice and ready to go for as well, quite possibly an obit written by someone who is already dead.

Her obit would have been prepared a while back. All they need to do is make additions with anything she may have been involved in recently then add the date she died.

Her obit would have been prepared a while back. All they need to do is make additions with anything she may have been involved in recently then add the date she died.

From what I hear, recent events involve her mostly drinking in Hong Kong at the Press club, and bemoaning the fact that age means she can't report on, say, Afghanistan from the front line. Or three miles into enemy territory looking for scoops!

• Like 1

From what I hear, recent events involve her mostly drinking in Hong Kong at the Press club, and bemoaning the fact that age means she can't report on, say, Afghanistan from the front line. Or three miles into enemy territory looking for scoops!

Was the reason that she was given was because she's no longer considered as being sprightly?

Well, in her autobiography, she admits she's looking forward to retirement and that she wasn't as quick as she once was.

It was published in 1988!

• Like 1

Well, in her autobiography, she admits she's looking forward to retirement and that she wasn't as quick as she once was.

It was published in 1988!

Kate Adie no longer reports from the front line, and she's a mere 70 years old. I can understand that it's something she always enjoyed and gets a rush of adrenaline from it. but I can't imagine being able to make a hasty retreat if enemy forces storm the city or basecamp where they're holed up in.

• Like 1

There's a difference between wishing you could still do something and thinking you could, which is, I guess, the difference between a Katie Adie or a Clare Hollingworth and a... Kurt Angle.

Well, that's the first time in history that comparison has ever been made.

• Like 1

The Telegraph will most likely lead with the obits when she goes. After all she was working for them when she reported the story.

Yes, they had an article on her at her last birthday.

I definitely think Clare Hollingworth is famous enough for the Deathlist.She had a career spanning several decades and made arguably the biggest scoop of the century in terms of historical significance.Many of the great war correspondents who have succeeded her have spoken about how incredible she was.She was also the first and last Western Journalist to interview the Shah of Iran.She will easily get an obit from every major news outlet and on a slow news day maybe even a brief mention on the evening news.I feld some snaps for her 104th Birthday last year and in my view she looks absolutely terrible!A shoe in for 2017 but I wouldn`t put any money on her lasting that long judging by these pics!

http://www.fcchk.org/fcclatest/clare-hollingworth-celebrates-her-104th-birthday/

101015_clare01.jpg

2D3609BA00000578-3262251-image-a-6_14443

She could go this hour on account of, you know, being 105 this year!

Though those pictures might make her look rougher because, iirc, she's been blind for some time. Also, she had a nasty stroke shortly before she turned 100, which she survived. She's made of stern stuff, our Claire, and it'll be a sad day indeed when the Reaper finally gets her, even despite her grand age. [/rare sentimental msc.]

She could go this hour on account of, you know, being 105 this year!

Though those pictures might make her look rougher because, iirc, she's been blind for some time. Also, she had a nasty stroke shortly before she turned 100, which she survived. She's made of stern stuff, our Claire, and it'll be a sad day indeed when the Reaper finally gets her, even despite her grand age. [/rare sentimental msc.]

Oh I didn`t know about the stroke.Knew her eyesight has been almost nil for some years now.What strikes me is how gaunt she looks.I agree but it looks like it might be a happy release.She is clearly too weak to get out her own chair or do anything for herself now.Very sad to see such a great lady looking so frail even though she is 104. and has had a bloody incredible life!I think it is a real shame that she isn`t more widely known.Especially when you consider some of the air-head celebrities who everyone knows but doesn`t know exactly what they even do.

Kathryn Trosper Popper, who was the last living cast member of Citizen Kane, dies at 100. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kathryn-trosper-popper-dead-citizen-873587

Popping trospers is maybe something I should try. :o

She defined the old adage: Live Long And Trosper.

Rosebud....................................

• Like 1

Says her son 'Joe' gave the report of her death. Good thing Ms. Popper's son wasn't named Dick.
SC

• Like 1

Kathryn Trosper Popper, who was the last living cast member of Citizen Kane, dies at 100. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kathryn-trosper-popper-dead-citizen-873587

But she's not the last performer in that film.

The last surviving performer from the film is the singer Jean Forward Baker, 95, according to Harlan Lebo, whose book “Citizen Kane: A Filmmaker’s Journey” will be published next month. Ms. Baker dubbed the singing voice of Kane’s second wife, Susan Alexander (Dorothy Comingore), whom Kane tries but disastrously fails to mold into an opera star.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/movies/kathryn-popper-who-had-tiny-role-in-citizen-kane-dies-at-100.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries

• Like 1