Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

Well, here we are at last! Let the games begin. I've noticed a few itchy fingers so here are the rules:

Greetings Deadpoolers,

The time has come to have your final deliberations and tell me who think are going to die in 2014.

I really need these entries to be as little problematic as possible. Because of this, the actual confirmation of your teams will probably occur at a much later time. When I receive your submission, I will send out an email confirming this, but if you have submitted early, there may well be a wait for the actual confirmation of the team in the competition, so I count on your patience. If there are any thorny issues, I shall let you know.

On the rules & scoring page, there is a link to a generated email where everything is set out for you. All you have to do is fill it in and send. It couldn’t be easier. If you have any trouble let me know.

The rules for entry are set out here: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/general/rules_and_scoring.html

Scoring will be the same as last year.

All I want is a team name, an email address, 20 nominations and a maximum of 3 subs. Make sure you have 20 different names and they all alive at the time you send the email out. Make sure the spelling is correct and if the choices are obscure, that I am made aware of who they are (no need to explain who Ronnie Biggs is for example, but if it's his brother-in-law or something, I probably do need to know). Also bear in mind there are some celebrities with similar or even identical names (Roger Taylor the tennis player and Roger Taylor the drummer of Queen for example) as well as distinguishing members of the same family with near-identical names (the Bush's). All this makes my job a lot easier.

Also put your subs in order so if one choice snuffs it, then I'll immediately replace them with the first sub on the list. I will inform you of this change when it happens.

Remember, the nominated joker is the one at the top of your list!

There is no reason to change the joker unless he/she carks it before December 31st, when I’ll ask you to nominate one. When you make the choice of joker, you have to stick to it. The same goes for the rest of the team. If you are re-entering under a different name, let me know what the previous name was for my records. If it's a theme team, let me know that it is, even if seems obvious looking at the list. You can enter theme and normal teams at your leisure, but put them as separate emails please, makes it better for me to count back on the ones I've received if there are any issues. There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although I know in some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams.

Here is what to do to send an entry to Derby Dead Pool 2014:

Team Name: Put your team name here. Make sure it’s original!

Joker (Pick 1): Will win double points should they cark it.

Pick 2: AN Other etc (try not adding Sirs/Dames etc).

Pick 3: If they are on the obscure side, maybe a word or about who they are.

Pick 4: Similar named celebs (Phil Taylor, Frank Williams etc) Let me know which one!

Pick 5: Make sure they are still alive!

Pick 6: Make sure they are all different. No Duplicates please.

Pick 7: Make sure they are all different. No Duplicates please.

Pick 8: See, I told you to make sure they are different!

Pick 9: Don’t add too many “middle” names (James Paul McCartney etc).

Pick 10: Unless of course they are known by their full name (Jerry Lee Lewis etc).

Pick 11:

Pick 12:

Pick 13:

Pick 14:

Pick 15:

Pick 16:

Pick 17:

Pick 18:

Pick 19:

Pick 20:

Reserve Pick(s): A maximum of three picks. Put them in order so if any celeb goes before December 31st, then the next one will come next into the list. Should the Joker die, the replacement has to be from the remaining 19.

Additional Information (alternative emails etc): Have you entered before and want to change the team name? Are you a theme team? Do you want the regular emails to go somewhere else?

Also put your subs in order so if one choice snuffs it, then I'll immediately replace them with the first sub on the list. I will inform you of this change when it happens.

Remember, the nominated joker is the one at the top of your list!

There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although I know in some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances, once you’ve entered your team that is it. No follow up emails asking for radical changes.

Finally, I wish you all good luck for next year's competition.

Good luck everybody...

I have saved my reply to your email, having locked in my 2014 team.I'll send it on the 19th when i finish work for xmas, so as not to clog you up over the festive period.

2013 was a rather inauspicious one for EGN's celebrity zombies in waiting but this coming year we have a hopefully unique, very young joker who is nailed on to get an obit in a national publication and a few old crusties who took their ticket to god's waiting room long before i was even born.

Fingers crossed for a better showing next year.

You can expect mine sometime between now and Christmas Eve. I'll have at least one theme team.

Mine will as usual be a rushed affair on New Year's Eve, probably done from work as the cunts are allowing me to have 24th through to the 30th off, but are making me work on New Year's Eve only, meaning I have to cut short my holiday in Cornwall and miss the New Year's beach celebrations with my family - they do this to me most years. Last year I actually volunteered to work one of the days they were short-staffed, at very short notice, so stupidly I thought they may allow me to have the day off this year - no such fucking luck, and if they think I will volunteer again they can shove that idea firmly up their fucking arses.

Mine will as usual be a rushed affair on New Year's Eve, probably done from work as the cunts are allowing me to have 24th through to the 30th off, but are making me work on New Year's Eve only, meaning I have to cut short my holiday in Cornwall and miss the New Year's beach celebrations with my family - they do this to me most years. Last year I actually volunteered to work one of the days they were short-staffed, at very short notice, so stupidly I thought they may allow me to have the day off this year - no such fucking luck, and if they think I will volunteer again they can shove that idea firmly up their fucking arses.

The anger positively drips from your post, just asking, like: are any of these cunts obitable and/or likely to be savagely attacked by a disgruntled employee on New Year's Eve, leading to life support and the tragic turning off of the machine once their relatives have taken their leave on 1st Jan?

The anger positively drips from your post, just asking, like: are any of these cunts obitable and/or likely to be savagely attacked by a disgruntled employee on New Year's Eve, leading to life support and the tragic turning off of the machine once their relatives have taken their leave on 1st Jan?

I couldn't possibly comment.

In other news, lots of people in Wiltshire want the Leader of the Council, Jane Scott's head on a plate for authorising and accepting massive increases in wages and expenses for herself, senior managers and councillors, while at the same time making loads of people redundant, and giving other people a FARCICAL 1% cost-of-living pay rise, the first they've had in 5 years. Incremental rises within the pay grade have also been frozen for 4 years. For those staff that I happen to know, this equates to an astronomical £212 per year (the rise was NOT backdated for the 5 years that no cost-of-living rise has been given), whereas some of the senior managers have had rises equating to £17000 per year.

It fair makes you want to puke.

http://www.wiltshire...petition_grows/

Guest ...

Is adding Minority themed teams ok (Black, Gay, Jewish, ect)

Do you have to live in Derby to enter?

Is adding Minority themed teams ok (Black, Gay, Jewish, ect)

There have been theme teams of that description, yes...

So I've got my first two theme teams sorted (Famous Centenarians and Heads of State)! Just one more to sort.

If you have two theme teams can a person be in both? If for example you choose people with alliterative names and people mentioned in songs and picked Doris Day for both would that be acceptable?

If you have two theme teams can a person be in both? If for example you choose people with alliterative names and people mentioned in songs and picked Doris Day for both would that be acceptable?

Yes.

Expect mine sometime around the 20 something of december too. Only just sneaked into the top 100 of this years ddp hopefully next year i can do better .

Can we get a final definitive list on what are acceptable "British national news sources" to stop any more "does this count? does this count? does this count?" Pardeeisms?

Can we get a final definitive list on what are acceptable "British national news sources" to stop any more "does this count? does this count? does this count?" Pardeeisms?

In addition to this if the BBC reports a death under their subject-specific section, i.e a boxers death is reported in boxing is that counted or does it have to be in the BBC's news section?

That's prompted me to tweak the List of the Lost page as regards acceptable sources. It had said that "general Internet news pages (MSN etc)" were not acceptable, but I believe in the light of Pardee, that it's a dated clause, probably an overhang from the old days where there only US versions of said internet news sites. Huffington Post is now accepted. This is from next year...

So the list is this:

BBC (and that is any section that carries news items (News, Sport, Entertainment). If there is a celeb that is mentioned having died or is dead, then it counts and that includes items mentioned on the radio and televsion (as long as there is evidence of this - iplayer etc) In most cases these are followed up on news pages.

Sky (Sky News and Sky Sports - same as the Beeb - a link to a visual mention of a celeb death is acceptable).

Reuters UK

ITV/ITN (same as BBC/Sky)

Channel 4 (same as BBC/Sky)

STV

UTV

Times/Sunday Times

Guardian/Observer

Telegraph

Independent

Mail Online

Daily/Sunday Express

Evening Standard

Sun

Mirror

Daily Star

Financial Times

Scotsman

Herald Scotland

Daily Record

Morning Star

Huffington Post UK

MSN UK

Yahoo UK

That is as definitive a list as possible...

Edited by themaninblack

So the list is this:

Scotsman

Herald Scotland

Hopefully this means 2014 will have as many Shinty and Highland Games theme teams as wrestling theme teams.

Huffington Post UK feed, I presume, not the US page?

Oh yeah, ditto MSN and Yahoo...

Is that some sort of bad joke?

Any chance of adding Autosport to the list? Then victory WILL be mine. :birthday2:

And Motorcycle News.....:D

Eurosport was considered acceptable this year, was it not? Or does that come under Yahoo?