Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

I also haven't received confirmation , though i imagine tmib is probably quite busy especially around this time of the year as we all are.

As I've said before, it is far too easy to overthink a DDP team and I was gulity of this myself in 2010 when I tried to be clever and finished way down in thirteenth.

I'm never gonna give advice to upcoming teams because fuck them, but this is true. My one piece of advice for people looking to break the top 10 is: obscurer deadpool picks have less information about them by default.

Sent in my theme teams early. Hopefully it doesn't come out in the next week Quentin Tarantino or Steven Spielberg are dying of cancer or something.

Entered the Pan Breed team for 2014.

Half the team I picked in October, then the replacements (due to death and whim, respectively) were chosen by sortes sanctorum... (minus one Bible, or anyone of the cloth being picked...)

Already grown to hate one of my 2014 picks solely through reading their Facebook page as they battle cancer.

Already grown to hate one of my 2014 picks solely through reading their Facebook page as they battle cancer.

[Censored] [Censored] from the [Censored]? Yeah I can't stand him/her/it either.

It's funny you're being so secretive about it because if it is who I think it is there's actually zero chance of it being a unique pick but w/e.

Won't be going on my list - it's not actually worth winning if it means I have to think about them every time I look at my entry!

Don't think I'll bother with Wilko Johnson either, I can barely remember ever even hearing of the fucker before this site (I dunno, maybe I might have heard John Peel mention him or something), plus what's the point of entering if your list looks just like everybody else's...

Then that the beauty. Your list looks just like everyone else's, except at the end of the year you have half as many again as the rest.

Reet, I'm in again! Carkers Convention 2014 and a couple of theme teams just went your way.

As always, BIG RESPECT for the amount and quality of work that makes DDP so damn good.

Mine are in (x3). I'm sure 2014 will be my year!

Just sent mine in. Was going to hold out until New Year's eve, but chances are I'd forget.

Ditto. Plenty of time during the early fights of UFC 168 to get it finalised...

Just sent mine in. Was going to hold out until New Year's eve, but chances are I'd forget.

Should I add you to the theme team of people with dementia, Parkinsons or Alzheimer's that I've been working on?

BTW, message to all - I know it's a bit close to the deadline but I was brainstorming a couple of nights ago I suddenly came up with about 5 or 6 funny team names that I won't be using myself (because I already settled on my simple team name ages ago). If anyone is struggling to come up with something amusing for their own team, send me a private message thingy. I'd really hate to see my humour go to waste (well, it'd probably get released in a book about 80 years from now called "The Lost/Unused Materials Vol. 3" but I don't want to wait that long.)

Although most of them are kinda Britishy jokes, so yeah...

Should I add you to the theme team of people with dementia, Parkinsons or Alzheimer's that I've been working on?

BTW, message to all - I know it's a bit close to the deadline but I was brainstorming a couple of nights ago I suddenly came up with about 5 or 6 funny team names that I won't be using myself (because I already settled on my simple team name ages ago). If anyone is struggling to come up with something amusing for their own team, send me a private message thingy. I'd really hate to see my humour go to waste (well, it'd probably get released in a book about 80 years from now called "The Lost/Unused Materials Vol. 3" but I don't want to wait that long.)

Although most of them are kinda Britishy jokes, so yeah...

I tried to come up with a theme team, but half the celebs I'd pick would at least survive for several more years at least. It's ok. I get British humour what with being from London originally. I've lived in the U.S. for the past 10 years though :)

Good luck with the obit on that one...

list send, added Vojislav Šešelj at the very last minute :pop:

http://inserbia.info...arts-on-monday/

Good luck with the obit on that one...

That's a good pick and he'll definitely get an obit if he finds the back of the net. Seselj has been raised as a possibility for years on these forums. In 2006 he was given weeks to live after going on hunger strike, in 2007 he was inaccurately reported (by me, I think) to have liver cancer and in 2012 he became ill after a pacemaker was fitted.

Making sure to avoid a mistake I've been making the past few years of waiting til the last 7 hours before deadline to start deciding on my final team which ends up scattering my judgement... I've got nine open spots left and 16 peeps left to choose from. Michael Schumacher is one of them. That would be frustrating if I picked him and they wait until the 1st to say he's perfectly fine. Choices, choices.

270 teams registered so far...

This schumacher situation reeks of The Sara Payne bollock I dropped a few years back

Wasted a Joker selection on her and won't be risking it again unless we get solid news from the Schuey camp.

TMIB, is the confirmation of DDP receipt automatic, or generated when you process the team?

I sent mine two days ago and don't know whether to resend cause its missed you, or whether i'm being an impatient bellend?

There are about 80ish emails on the slate, so I reckon yours is among them. The procedure is this. I take said email, load the celeb names onto my bespoke excel lookup table, chalk up the team name on another spreadsheet and add any new celebs to a list. After several teams are done (30/60/90/120 depending on how many tabs I use up), I then create new codes for the new celebs to load into the access database, tidy celebnames up (first names, surnames etc) so they are ready to be researched later on (by me, OoO and WEP). Then when that "cycle" is done, I compile team emails that have been sent and then send a mass email (BCC of course!) to the teams saying they've been registered.

It sounds ominous but it's not all that bad once you know the routine!

I'll wait until I've done another 60 teams before sending off another confirmation email before New Year's Day, depending on how fast I can get through these in the next 24 hours.

In the meantime, I may (or many not, depending on events) update the DDP pages just one more time before NYE...

Cheers TMIB! The effort is appreciated!

*I knew it was the bellend option. Its always the fucking bellend option.

I'm in. Classic load of coffin dodgers with an obvious Joker. Plus one theme team, this time I've switched to to a venerable load of old chaps from British sit-com and stand-up acts. Calling the team, Dead Funny, not that they all were, but what the heck! My other idea was female comedy and could have been called The Funny Fanny Show, but let's not go there...

Edit.

In regard to Deathray's post below. I fear TMIB has too much on his hands without a third team from me. However just for fun without being competative I may as well post the outline for later reflection. Mix of US and UK.

Roseanne Barr, Jo Brand, Carol Channing, Pauline Collins, Wendy Craig, Annette Crosbie, Nanette Fabray, Jane Freeman, Dawn French, Valerie Harper, Nerys Hughes, Penelope Keith, Maureen Lipman, Mary Tyler Moore, Joan Rivers, Liz Smith, Julie Walters, Betty White, Barbara Windsor & Pauline Yates.

I'm in. Classic load of coffin dodgers with an obvious Joker. Plus one theme team, this time I've switched to to a venerable load of old chaps from British sit-com and stand-up acts. Calling the team, Dead Funny, not that they all were, but what the heck!

My other idea was female comedy and could have been called The Funny Fanny Show, but let's not go there...

I urge you to submit that team, you're allowed three after all!

• Like 1

I'm officially in now - thanks TMIB. Decided to be iconoclastic this year, and went for folk who were actually ill instead of random old people. I know, not really in the spirit. :lol: