Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Boris to stand down as MP.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

She's been an MP 8 years. What has she actually achieved? She wasn't even Chief Whip! It absolutely stinks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

She's been an MP 8 years. What has she actually achieved? She wasn't even Chief Whip! It absolutely stinks.

She jumped into bed with a married MP and got pregnant and then flipped off members of the public.

Genuinely that's as much as I can remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Lindsay Burrow is full time carer for Rob, their three young kids and also manages a part time job, runs his charity and just ran a marathon to raise money for research. Puts most of us in the shade,  perspective wise for sure. 

That documentary was grim though. Robs basically in the end stages and no one knows how long that lasts. Not something you'd wish on anyone.

• Like 3

Do wonder if Sunak would be better going for it now. Only a year or so to go anyway and I wonder if the Bojo brigade are banking on Sunak not doing it and having a year to play silly buggers. 

I doubt he'd call one now. We haven't had a July GE since 1945. I don't think there's ever been one in August, at least in modern times.

1 hour ago, Sly Ronnie said:

I doubt he'd call one now. We haven't had a July GE since 1945. 

Probably not the precedent he's after tbh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

I doubt he'd call one now. We haven't had a July GE since 1945. I don't think there's ever been one in August, at least in modern times.

September is conference season and a lot will depend on  whether the aim is to minimise losses or actually try to win

So far we've lost:

A delusional Prime Minister who Parliament had decided was a liar. (Set to lose a by-election)

A talk show host masquerading as an MP (already leaving at the next election)

And a man who's own wife would struggle to pick him out of a line up (already leaving at the next election)

Hardly the end of the world.

Rumoured are:

The COP President who achieved very little (and is looking unlikely to hold his seat)

And the Chancellor who broke tax laws (ending his career).

I get the drip drip effect and the Tory psychodrama playing out in public, but all we're getting here are suicide bombers - people with nothing to lose...losing.

• Like 2

Nicola Sturgeon arrested!

1 hour ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Think this was more or less inevitable after Beattie and Murrell getting questioned. If you've spoken to the party treasurer and the chief executive, the then-leader is the logical next step.

5 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

And released without charge. (Yet). 

No body probably cares but following Johnson's MP resignation, I thought I'd see how long former Prime Ministers stayed in the House of Commons after leaving the job of PM. Only doing post-war because I'm not that sad.

1) Ted Heath - 27 years, 2 months (lost election in 1974, stepped down at 2001 election)

2) Alec Douglas-Home - 9 years, 11 months (lost election in 1964, stepped down at 1974 election)

3) Winston Churchill - 9 years, 5 months (resigned as PM in 1955, stepped down at 1964 election)

4) Sunny Jim Callaghan - 8 years (lost 1979 election, stepped down 1987)

5) Harold Wilson - 7 years, 1 month (resigned as PM 1976, stepped down 1983)

-6) Theresa May - 4 years, 10 months (resigned 2019, stepped down 2024)

-6) Gordon Brown - 4 years, 10 months (lost 2010, stepped down 2015)
8) Clement Attlee - 4 years, 2 months (lost 1951, resigned as MP in 1955) 

9) John Major - 4 years (lost 1997, stepped down 2001)

10) Liz Truss - 1 year, 7 months (resigned 2022, lost re-election 2024)

11) Maggie Thatcher - 1 year, 4 months (resigned 1990, stepped down 1992)

12) Harold Macmillan - 11 months (resigned 1963, stepped down 1964)
13) Boris Johnson - 9 months (resigned 2022, stepped down 2023)

14) David Cameron - 2 months (resigned July 2016, stepped down in September)

15) Anthony Eden - 1 day (resigned 9th Jan 1957, stepped down on 10th Jan)

16) Tony Blair - 0 days (Left both 27th June 2007)

Most seem to stay on until at least the next general election, but Attlee, Eden, Blair, Cameron and Johnson didn't. And there's obviously still May and Truss in the House of Commons, but I doubt either will beat Heath's respectable 27 years.

11 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

On the basis of what precedent?! Which other Prime Minister's dad has been knighted you blond moron?!

In other news, Mad Nad is intent on burning down the House. As with everything in life, she can't do it properly, so just like she's not a Baroness, she just thinks she is, she's not resigned as an MP, she just claims she has. She has yet to tender her resignation to the Chancellor, as apparently is the way these things are done, so she's still the MP for Mid-Bedfordshire. The BBC notes this means she can still sit in debates and is still protected by parliamentary privilege, so can say what ever she likes in the Commons. Doubtless she has a few Rishi stories she might be planning to drop, who knows? Anything to torpedo the government's attempts at winning the next election so she can go round telling everybody "Boris would have won :wub:". What a pathetic excuse for an MP. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65898515

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

In other news, Mad Nad is intent on burning down the House. As with everything in life, she can't do it properly, so just like she's not a Baroness, she just thinks she is, she's not resigned as an MP, she just claims she has. She has yet to tender her resignation to the Chancellor, as apparently is the way these things are done, so she's still the MP for Mid-Bedfordshire. The BBC notes this means she can still sit in debates and is still protected by parliamentary privilege, so can say what ever she likes in the Commons. Doubtless she has a few Rishi stories she might be planning to drop, who knows? Anything to torpedo the government's attempts at winning the next election so she can go round telling everybody "Boris would have won :wub:". What a pathetic excuse for an MP. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65898515

Now says she's still "immediately resigning" but also not going anywhere until she's received all possible information around her removal from the resignation honours list. Personally, I say let it drag out a year and see if she reverses her decision to retire to pursue her vendetta. She could become the first MP to be re-elected on a manifesto promising to resign. :lol: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65910896

Cor. Some pretty damning stuff in this report. Laura Kuenssberg might describe it as “quite a charge”.

Johnson’s political career is dead in a ditch, and his army of sycophants should fuck off forever too.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TQR said:

Cor. Some pretty damning stuff in this report. Laura Kuenssberg might describe it as “quite a charge”.

Johnson’s political career is dead in a ditch, and his army of sycophants should fuck off forever too.

All over in week. MP for Kingston-Upon-Thames before the New Year. PM again within months after. Divorced and has a child with Nadine. Who is then made Mayoress of Scouseland. Sorry, Liverpool.

All is well. Cannot see the problem. 

• Like 2