Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sooooo.

The Tories' conversion to abolish the non-dom status and thus steal Labour's clothes turns out to be yet another fraud on the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/31/tory-plans-to-abolish-non-dom-status-riddled-with-loopholes-labour-says

Sunak once again will benefit hugely from the loopholes as will many of his super rich friends.

Smacks of the so-called windfall tax on the energy producers which, as we all know, the Tories filled with loopholes so the major suppliers pay little to nothing in this windfall tax.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. 

Cunts.

Good news for Labour then, more money can be raised post-election. Not sure how Hunt's sums are going to add up in this case.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Cunts.

Can we please all mind our language. (and by that I mean calling them 'cunts' is not enough, in fact I don't think there's a word in the English language bad enough to describe them).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Good news for Labour then, more money can be raised post-election. Not sure how Hunt's sums are going to add up in this case.

I say given the increase in Council Tax that England and Wales will experience, the increase in mortgage rates payable, the higher prices at the shops, etc etc experienced by the ordinary folk is causing real hurt. The increase in the minimum wage with nothing for business could mean businesses going down. No point in having a minimum wage if you aren't working because your boss has closed down.

Meantime, instead of bringing the non-dom changes in immediately, the super rich like Sunak do need time to get their affairs in order to screw the Treasury out of more money. I don't see the Councils giving Joe and Josephine Bloggs 4 fucking years notice of the increase to your Council tax. (Says he from the position where the Council Tax in Scotland has been frozen this year - sorry guys!).

So this is the UK's big lie. The Tories want you to have more money in your pocket. Untrue - they want to have more of your money in their pocket.

Yep, they've given up trying to hold onto power.

• Like 2

Time's running out on their cash grab innit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Can we please all mind our language. (and by that I mean calling them 'cunts' is not enough, in fact I don't think there's a word in the English language bad enough to describe them).

I was just about to make the same point. I mean, most people like cunts, don't they, or at least not hate them.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I was just about to make the same point. I mean, most people like cunts, don't they, or at least not hate them.

I have no idea. ;)

I'm sure the lassie off Countdown could give us something to call them. Or we could make something up here and get it into common parlance.

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's a term of endearment to me, one of my closest friends and I often call each other cunts.

My current favoured term of abuse is 'vermin'.  It has the advantage of not getting censored by trigger-happy moderation bots.

• Like 1

An Aussie shared this on Threads to illustrate to the rest of the world how they and NZers (and Brits, really) use the word 'cunt':

1944995405_Image05-03-2024at16_46.thumb.jpeg.36ad1f8a8a3d1f80a4addeed384703d5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Rag arse tories..... shortened to Rats.

9 hours ago, Toast said:

Speak for yourself. 

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I have no idea. ;)

I'm sure the lassie off Countdown could give us something to call them. Or we could make something up here and get it into common parlance.

As someone who was actually on Countdown, I favour nine-letter words. Things like imperious, execrable, and repulsive. Criminals also works as a descriptor of that length.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Toast said:

I live in Scotland.

As of today I’m not allowed to hate anything… :(

17 hours ago, Toast said:

My current favoured term of abuse is 'vermin'.  It has the advantage of not getting censored by trigger-happy moderation bots.

Nye Bevan would agree with you.

• Like 1

The only reason for a Tory government is the promise of a lower tax base and the historical promise of competence. Unfortunately the lying bunch of degenerate fuckwits have failed on all levels to perform for the country only enriching their donors and friends.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Nye Bevan would agree with you.

That was my inspiration.

581304648_Bevanquote.jpeg.63f27b3fb8a7364e77de8b727c1ce39b.jpeg

• Like 4

Rishi Sunak says that’s not what people ask him about when he’s out and about

Well. I find that very hard to believe. It'd be the first fucking thing I''d ask him.

• Like 2

1561430781_Image02-04-2024at13_37.thumb.jpeg.4890772996a5df65ee54333817c9ce98.jpeg

So, many thousands of people sleeping on the streets because they've got no money, how do we deal with this? Fine them, of course.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

1561430781_Image02-04-2024at13_37.thumb.jpeg.4890772996a5df65ee54333817c9ce98.jpeg

So, many thousands of people sleeping on the streets because they've got no money, how do we deal with this? Fine them, of course.

Haven't they admitted their jails are full and are having to release folk early to get more people in?

What's the point of jailing these folk? So they can let out a more serious offender? 

Desperate.

• Like 2

A few weeks ago , I was in Manchester for the first time in 20 years, and I was shocked by the numbers of people sleeping rough on the streets. Its not the homelessness as such that surprised me - I see it every time I go into Dublin. It was just the numbers. I lived in Manchester years ago and of course there were people sleeping rough then. But I don't remember it at this sort of level. It seemed that every single street I walked down in the city centre had people sleeping rough in it.  

9 hours ago, TQR said:

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Haven't they admitted their jails are full and are having to release folk early to get more people in?

What's the point of jailing these folk? So they can let out a more serious offender? 

Desperate.

Assuming that one of the primary reasons that people are sleeping rough is, cough, not having any money, fining them is unutterably stupid.

So you're left with jailing them for non-payment. Further, if they are sleeping rough due to not having any money in the first place, one might reasonably assume that if fined and/or consequently jailed the re-offending rate would be, oh I don't know, 100%?

The cost of keeping anyone in jail for a year is around £47,000. Which is around £13,000 more than the average salary in the UK.

There might be a lot of hurdles to some realistic fix such as universal basic income....

...But surely we can do better in the 6th largest economy in the world than jailing people with no money for non-payment of fines because they're sleeping rough because they had no money.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Listener asks when there'll be a General Election. Rishi responds by saying he's never asked that question. HE JUST FUCKING ASKED YOU, YOU PILLOCK! Give us a General Election you cowardly fuck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2