Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

3 hours ago, TQR said:

Dan Poulter has defected from the Tories to Labour. 

Sorry, but this does not sit right with me. I know Poulter is standing down at the GE anyway and not seeking reelection, but if it has taken him this fucking long to realise that the Tories are disgusting then frankly Labour should be telling him to fuck all the way off. Short term or not, the fact they've allowed him to sit in their name is not a good look. I know it has been done before but sweet fucking Christ, look at how sickening the Tories have been over the last four years in particular, and Poulter stayed? Nahhh he can get straight in the sea.

Accept your point of view, but it's a massive PR disaster for the Tories. For him to quit for your nearest rivals and say you don't care about public services and he should know because he's in one - how do you counter that argument? "He's wrong" - well, how exactly Rishi? He's been in your party throughout this parliament, he's sat in your meetings, he's listened to your policies. He's also worked in the NHS, seen how it's suffering and knows what you've done it. I'd say there's very few people better qualified to comment on the shitshow you're running than a doctor who's a Tory MP. Plus you don't turn down another vote on your side in the Commons. Majority reduces again by 2...

GIVE US A FUCKING ELECTION RISHI!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Accept your point of view, but it's a massive PR disaster for the Tories. For him to quit for your nearest rivals and say you don't care about public services and he should know because he's in one - how do you counter that argument? "He's wrong" - well, how exactly Rishi? He's been in your party throughout this parliament, he's sat in your meetings, he's listened to your policies. He's also worked in the NHS, seen how it's suffering and knows what you've done it. I'd say there's very few people better qualified to comment on the shitshow you're running than a doctor who's a Tory MP. Plus you don't turn down another vote on your side in the Commons. Majority reduces again by 2...

If his diagnosis for the Tory party of ‘cunts’ took Poulter four years to arrive at, I feel sorry for the patients he saw in Obs and Gynae. Patients would be fucking taking their kids to nursery before he noticed he had to deliver a baby.

And yes, you sodding well do turn down that extra vote. The election is just around the corner and you’re letting in cunts who voted with the government all this time? It feeds into the (mostly but not 100% false) narrative that Labour are a little bit Tory. There’s speaking cautiously on policy to secure the centrist vote and then there’s letting in the cunts you should be opposing - that’s a perfect recipe for voter apathy.

• Like 2

It's already an interesting morning.

Sunak flailing about hopelessly on Trevor Phillips' show. Both he and now Philp on Laura K have talked this morning about the money they are putting into the NHS. Now I well recall the Tories' complaints that all Labour did was throw money at a problem, when what was required was efficiency and cutting waste. But look, the Tories are now throwing money at the NHS! And look at the state of it!

Again, they talk about migration - Sunak wasn't even challenged on the 600,000+ a year legal migration - a figure which dwarfs anything which has preceded it, especially when the UK was in the EU. And is massive compared with the boats - I laughed out loud when Sunak trumpeted his success on bringing the latter numbers down (when they started and grew under this Government). Laughed again when Sunak talked about his wonderful tax cuts (when he was the one who put them up in the first place!).

Poulter's defection - who really cares? Another failure of a politician - 14 years a Tory and jumps from the sinking ship. 

Still refusing to rule out a July election. I suppose he could technically claim he's not going early given he's always said the 2nd half of the year.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

It's already an interesting morning.

Sunak flailing about hopelessly on Trevor Phillips' show. Both he and now Philp on Laura K have talked this morning about the money they are putting into the NHS. Now I well recall the Tories' complaints that all Labour did was throw money at a problem, when what was required was efficiency and cutting waste. But look, the Tories are now throwing money at the NHS! And look at the state of it!

Can't believe they've let Philp back out of the box after his Congo cock-up on Question Time the other night! Is he the only minister willing to shill for the government now?

• Haha 1

2024537168_Image10.jpeg.dbe1b43943a83dbd4935e5a75b3d5e98.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, TQR said:

2024537168_Image10.jpeg.dbe1b43943a83dbd4935e5a75b3d5e98.jpeg

Where's Boris Johnson, on the back cover?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Toast said:

Where's Boris Johnson, on the back cover?

Don't forget David Cameron. There should also be a footnote for Theresa May.

13 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

GIVE US A FUCKING ELECTION RISHI!

Looking at the State of Parties page on the Parliament website reminded me of reading a book on General Elections ages ago and it showed Parliament at dissolution in 1970. I was shocked at how low Labour's total of MPs were, seeing as they coasted to victory in 1966. They had 348 MPs, thus losing 16 to by-elections etc. Very similar numbers to the Tories today.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Looking at the State of Parties page on the Parliament website reminded me of reading a book on General Elections ages ago and it showed Parliament at dissolution in 1970. I was shocked at how low Labour's total of MPs were, seeing as they coasted to victory in 1966. They had 348 MPs, thus losing 16 to by-elections etc. Very similar numbers to the Tories today.

Incredibly through the Tory victory n 1970 was a massive shock - Labour were expected to win ar less the most seats if not a majority.

They were a lot more deaths in those days. 
Carmarthen, Glasgow Pollok, Cambridge, Walthamstow West, Acton, Meriden, Nelson and Colne, Walthamstow East, Birmingham Ladywood and Wellingborough all were lost by Labour due to death of Incumbent. Plenty of labour Labou and Tory Mp’a died as well and their seats were retained.

Hamilton, Leicester South West, Dudley, Oldham West and Swindon were lost due to resignations, mostly for new jobs. 

In this Parliament the Tories have lost 

Chesham and Amersham - Death

North Shropshire - Resignation (Scandal) 

Wakefield - Resignation (Scandal)

Tiverton and Honiton - Resignation (Scandal)

Selby and Ainsty - Resignation 

Somerton and Froome - Resignation (Scandal)

Mid Bedfordshire - Resignation

Tamworth - Resignation (Scandal)

Wellingborough - Resignation (Scandal)

Kingswood - Resignation 

It is looking likely this week they will lose Blackpool South as well. 

Labour lost Hartlepool to the Tories due to resignation and Rochdale to Workers due to death. 

Humza Yousaf to resign later today.

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, TQR said:

The racist bots on Twitter are having a field day.  Deeply unpleasant to watch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Let's assume the BBC site isn't - yet - run by racist bots

The SNP need a new leader, then: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-68918348

All candidates form an orderly queue, or summat!

My post earlier wasn't that his resignation was being promoted by racist bots more that people were focusing very much on his race when responding to his resignation, in particular there was one phrase that kept cropping up which made me think it was a campaign. One post seemed to link his resignation to promote Susan Hall's London Mayor campaign by making a connection between The First Minister and the incumbent mayor (and they weren't suggesting that a woman should be in charge)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My post earlier wasn't that his resignation was being promoted by racist bots more that people were focusing very much on his race when responding to his resignation, in particular there was one phrase that kept cropping up which made me think it was a campaign. One post seemed to link his resignation to promote Susan Hall's London Mayor campaign by making a connection between The First Minister and the incumbent mayor (and they weren't suggesting that a woman should be in charge)

Okay, good point - summat of a pile on, though maybe once he's gone and the problems remain it'll make it harder for any racists to throw that particular angle into the discussions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TQR said:

Might still need an election as Kate Forbes (the favourite to succeed him) would struggle to convince the Greens to give them   support. For a start her views would actually increase the votes they could get. 

Yousaf to give a press conference at noon.

YARN | Suddenly, the number twelve began to ring in my head | Murder on the Orient  Express | Video clips by quotes | 513e4415 | 紗

Yousaf likely did the right thing, though the choices weren't attractive. Giving a deal to Alba would have been giving legitimacy to an outfit so low in the Scottish polls they often get classed with "others" - likely to be a bit scrappy in that territory for a wee while now!

• Like 1

It is interesting that the Conservatives were happy to have a vote of no confidence in the First Minister but not bring one against the minority Government.  I suppose it is understandable when they have their own second unelected leader in place in Westminster who is resisting calls to go to the country

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

It is interesting that the Conservatives were happy to have a vote of no confidence in the First Minister but not bring one against the minority Government.  I suppose it is understandable when they have their own second unelected leader in place in Westminster who is resisting calls to go to the country

And yet Douglas Ross is trying to do a victory lap. What a silly cunt.

1891749363_Image29-04-2024at10_36.thumb.jpeg.b3d2856e235bf976cc3bf2f595b5b1e2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, TQR said:

And yet Douglas Ross is trying to do a victory lap. What a silly cunt.

1891749363_Image29-04-2024at10_36.thumb.jpeg.b3d2856e235bf976cc3bf2f595b5b1e2.jpeg

Surely the last thing the Conservatives need now is an election in Scotland before the Westminster one. They must be facing the prospect of huge losses of MSPs because IIRC they did quite well last time

• Like 2

What you have to bear in mind is that DRoss is thick as shit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1