Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

How you say the year is exactly the culture war Sunak wants you all to focus on. :lol:

I'll never understand the US style election system the English have adopted - third of councils elected (something like the Senate) and these PCCs (elect your local sheriff) who never get accountability related to their job for anything as far as I can see.

Ah well, another couple of days of this coverage to go.

• Like 1

Ah well, the first third of this has been piss funny so I'm happy to string this out.

38 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

How you say the year is exactly the culture war Sunak wants you all to focus on. :lol:

I'll never understand the US style election system the English have adopted - third of councils elected (something like the Senate) and these PCCs (elect your local sheriff) who never get accountability related to their job for anything as far as I can see.

Ah well, another couple of days of this coverage to go.

It is to avoid 1995-style catastrophes and the Tories losing 2000 seats in a single night whick looks really bad. Having less results and then in turn having them thinly spread out over several days would make it less impactful.

• Like 1

Did I just hear that the pandemic and the war in Ukraine was responsible for Andrew Bloggs (Conservative) losing his local Council seat?

She's always good value - one step up on the stupidity level from Truss.

:lol:

Bristol have dragged the Avon and Somerset PCC kicking and screaming over to Labour, to my delight. 

The current Tory post holder says... Oh wait:

"Mr Shelford said he would not give a comment if he lost." Beautiful.

1 minute ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

It would be massive polling failure but there is genuine concern in Labour ranks and genuine optimism in Tory ranks. 

2 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Aye, well, either way - the mayoral stuff is bucking the overall trend so when the dust settles on yesterday's shit storm for the Tories they'll come out swinging as much as they can claiming the mayoral stuff as a success, that'll spike any remaining rebels in parliament so there won't be a move to oust Sunak, he'll seek to hang on in the hope of turning things round, which won't succeed very well, and as autumn heads into winter we'll go to the polls in the pouring rain and deliver the worst election result for the Conservatives in living memory. 

Or summat. 

That's my best guess anyway - coffee and a warm scone beckons

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, well, either way - the mayoral stuff is bucking the overall trend so when the dust settles on yesterday's shit storm for the Tories they'll come out swinging as much as they can claiming the mayoral stuff as a success, that'll spike any remaining rebels in parliament so there won't be a move to oust Sunak, he'll seek to hang on in the hope of turning things round, which won't succeed very well, and as autumn heads into winter we'll go to the polls in the pouring rain and deliver the worst election result for the Conservatives in living memory. 

Or summat. 

That's my best guess anyway - coffee and a warm scone beckons

It will push the Tories even further right. Susan Hall is very right wing and if she wins it will be the first hard right win victory in London for a long while. Boris run on a socially liberal platform during his time as mayor. 

It wouldn't be that much of a shock if Susan Hall was voted in; London did elect Alexander de Pfeffel after all.

Just now, DCI Frank Burnside said:

19% swing in Hartlepool but a lower one in Middlesbrough

6 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I've only ever known the year to be two thousand and something, so I stuck with it until two-thousand-and-nineteen became twe'ytwe'y. It sounds stranger to my ears when older people say twenty-oh-two, or worse, twenty-zero-two.

2 hours ago, time said:

Logically, "twenty-oh-two" would be the correct way to say it. Show me anyone who doesn't say "nineteen-oh-two", "eighteen-oh-two" etc.

This.

That's a hell of a drop. Down 20+%.  Doesn't bode well for the Tory MP's in that neck of the woods

As expected, Houchen retains Tees Valley. 

CON: 53.6%

LAB: 41.3%

LDM: 5.0%

And this is what the result was in 2021:

CON: 72.8%

LAB: 27.2%

Tories will make a big song and dance about winning but that's a 16.5% swing to Lab. More than enough for Lab to win the seats in that area. 

9 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Tories will make a big song and dance about winning but that's a 16.5% swing to Lab. More than enough for Lab to win the seats in that area. 

BBC chart at the moment has the Tories in THIRD place on seats won, four behind the Lib Dems (who've gained 25 seats whilst the Tories have lost 150) - so any claims about the mayoral victory are just third polishing (heh heh, see what I did there!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

@The Old Crem, you're always going on about Susan Hall. Let it go. You're never going to meet her.

You leave Crem's Auntie Sue alone.

This honestly sounds Labour conceding defeat.

If Sadiq wins, can we permaban Crem?

• Like 2