Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

My local results were announced mid-afternoon. Interesting reading, my own ward has stayed firmly Labour with a marginally increased majority on a lower turnout (17.84% - I kid you not). Most other wards were higher, some in the 40s, one other failed to break 20% turnout. Most notable thing was that the Independent (who I have heard neither sight nor sound of until he popped up on my ballot paper yesterday) finished second with 259 votes, comfortably beating the Tory (191).

Labour comfortably held on to the council, but overall lost 2 seats. This is because the Independents took 8 seats (in wards with large Asian communities), and 7 of those came from Labour. The Tories lost 4 of the 6 seats they were defending, holding one seat with a majority of 166, down from 938 3 years ago. The posh end of town still voted Tory, but turnout was down 300 votes and majority down to just under 1,000.

Showing how mute he's been over the past 3 years, I had completely forgotten that my current PCC was a Tory who had unseated the original Labour incumbent. Anyway, previous Labour incumbent (now challenger) won back Lancashire with a majority of 34,000 (Tory had a 12,000 lead on first preference votes last time - larger turnout).

Just to put this to bed until at least tomorrow:

1431083492_Image03-05-2024at20_09.thumb.jpeg.795461a4d67ba2c13ff769ef917b9d01.jpeg

2012496482_Image03-05-2024at20_10.thumb.jpeg.a532ba4c0d153e5d8e6d227a16b2e4ea.jpeg

Wow, turnout for the mayoral elections in my area was below 28%. The only real shocker with the results was that Reform was pipped by the Greens (bearing in mind that this is Anderson's neck of the woods). Looks like the guy from the campaign brochure with gaffer tape on his mouth who called himself 'the candidate they don't want' proved his point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

I feel for poor Sir John. He’s had a hard shift. First few hours he had to deal with this:

IMG_9545.thumb.jpeg.9c171648179c11f3f751368a6c2e0698.jpeg

If the Tories get wiped out at the General Election, the year's top talking point will not be that, it will be Laura K vomiting live on air before proceeding to receive CPR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just to put this to bed until at least tomorrow:

1431083492_Image03-05-2024at20_09.thumb.jpeg.795461a4d67ba2c13ff769ef917b9d01.jpeg

2012496482_Image03-05-2024at20_10.thumb.jpeg.a532ba4c0d153e5d8e6d227a16b2e4ea.jpeg

Will this be the 2024 version or actually accurate. 

John Curtice on Radio 4 just now says that it will be an enormous shock if Sadiq Khan does not win London

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

John Curtice on Radio 4 just now says that it will be an enormous shock if Sadiq Khan does not win London

But who to trust? Prof Sir John Curtice, noted, eminent and trusted psephologist, or Crem and a load of Tory hustlers..? :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

Tell you what, I double down on what I said earlier. If Khan wins, permaban for Crem. If Hall wins, permaban for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TQR said:

Tell you what, I double down on what I said earlier. If Khan wins, permaban for Crem. If Hall wins, permaban for me.

tumblr_pbkitoKnfL1rb9618o2_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

When will we know the result in London?

37 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

1.30pm tommrow is the planned time.

40 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

They start counting at 9am Saturday morning, the official result is supposed to be at 1.30pm, but that's unlikely. Depending how close it is, it could stretch into Sunday (I'm guessing if recounts are required). Comparing how Khan does against what he did against Bailey in 2021 will give an early indication though. Worth noting the change from Supplementary Vote to First Past the Post, which may have some impact. But we'll know at some point tomorrow more than likely.

Decent overview of what to keep an eye out for here: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/london-mayoral-election-sadiq-khan-susan-hall-victory-winners-results-b1155487.html

53 minutes ago, TQR said:

I don’t want to be banned and this place would miss you if you were banned. 

a65f9860-0993-11ef-b9d8-4f52aebe147d.png

It’s less about the result and more about nobody wanting to be the one to lead them into the election they’re going to lose anyway, especially now there’s some projection data. 

There’s less pressure on Sunak to call a GE but he’s still squatting with no ideas. 

• Like 2

Wow what a shock.

• Haha 1

Why was there the narrative that it might be close?

And there is zero chance there'll be no change in Scotland. Might not be massive but there'll be some change. Almost certainly some Lab gains

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Why was there the narrative that it might be close?

Press like horse races and listen to any gossip which suggests there is one.

Khan just won an area Bailey won in 2021. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

And there is zero chance there'll be no change in Scotland. Might not be massive but there'll be some change. Almost certainly some Lab gains

Now you mean you don't think 2O% of the population will vote for independents in an actual general election???

giphy.gif

So far... Khan 48.6%, Hall 26.5%.

Not very close is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1