Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

17 minutes ago, TQR said:

Source?

Look at the front pages. The Mail is running on could they do a deal while the Telegraph seem skeptical.  The Sun also mention talks with favourite Rishi.

22 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Look at the front pages. The Mail is running on could they do a deal while the Telegraph seem skeptical.  The Sun also mention talks with favourite Rishi.

It was literally just the Daily Mail. It, like most of the others, has gotten pretty much everything wrong for years.

When coming up with these predictions and theories, know where to look. And maybe cite them so you don’t just look like a Cecilia?

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Who else would they back? It depends on the nature of any deal. 

There is no way Boris is agreeing to any deal that puts anyone other than him in 10 Downing Street.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

There is no way Boris is agreeing to any deal that puts anyone other than him in 10 Downing Street.

Unless...unless...he agrees with my post a few days ago where I suggested taking on the leadership now - regardless of who it is - is a short term post as when the Conservative Party go through the next election they are looking at historic losses. Whoever is in the chair will have to resign. We know Johnson was planning for a decade in Downing Street.

The alternative is that two years is better than nothing and I don't think Johnson is the kind of 'leader' who wants to piddle about as Leader of the Opposition. 

Penny Mordaunt is struggling to get the numbers. Only chance for her seems to be if Boris withdraws and she becomes the stop Rishi candidate.  

Boris camp saying he could be on the ballot rather than will. I am getting the feeling he is going to withdraw. 

50 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I am getting the feeling he is going to withdraw. 

That'd be a change for him.

• Haha 5

We have probably had the first lie of the 2nd Johnson premiership.

Claims he has 100 supporters or more is seen to be a lie to suggest momentum and to coax other MPs to public ally back him…

Sad, sad man. 

• Like 2

Just now, Windsor said:

We have probably had the first lie of the 2nd Johnson premiership.

Claims he has 100 supporters or more is seen to be a lie to suggest momentum and to coax other MPs to public ally back him…

Sad, sad man. 

I don’t think he will become PM. Sunak seems the most likely now 

@Ulitzer95 until today I did share the same skepticism you had towards the likelihood. 

19 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I don’t think he will become PM. Sunak seems the most likely now 

@Ulitzer95 until today I did share the same skepticism you had towards the likelihood. 

I do think it will be Boris again now actually.

I didn't think the support amongst MPs was there to get him over the 100 line. Now that he's through to the membership, I can see him thumping Rishi.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I didn't think the support amongst MPs was there to get him over the 100 line. Now that he's through to the membership, I can see him thumping Rishi.

I don’t. I’m not sure the support actually is there. He hasn’t had many endorsements today and the ones he has got are not surprising. And I am not sure he wants to govern while the majority of MP’s oppose him. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

I don’t. I’m not sure the support actually is there. He hasn’t had many endorsements today and the ones he has got are not surprising. And I am not sure he wants to govern while the majority of MP’s oppose him. 

The membership and the parliamentary party are totally different in their mindset...

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The membership and the parliamentary party are totally different in their mindset...

It depends if if Boris wants the challenge governing by winning the membership depsite being rejected heavily by MP’s. 

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Is he though.  Is it confirmed that he's definitely got 100 supporters who have put their names on record?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Is he though.  Is it confirmed that he's definitely got 100 supporters who have put their names on record?

Nope. He is still stuck well behind on public numbers. And not many have gone public today. 

Just now, Toast said:

The Guido list has 72 named backers. It's obvious that there will be at least a couple of dozen shy backers.

A reminder that only the proposer and seconder must be named on the list of 100+ nominations for the ballot. The other 98+ names will remain anonymous.

I don't doubt he's reached the threshold now.

Can he govern though?

167 government ministers required. Even if he squeezes that, can he get the support of his MPs?  He lost those by-elections. He'd have to go to the country.

My advice to Sunak et al is to stand away and let him be crowned. That will destroy the party for 15 years.

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Can he govern though?

167 government ministers required. Even if he squeezes that, can he get the support of his MPs?  He lost those by-elections. He'd have to go to the country.

My advice to Sunak et al is to stand away and let him be crowned. That will destroy the party for 15 years.

Which country will he go to this time? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Guido list has 72 named backers. It's obvious that there will be at least a couple of dozen shy backers.

A reminder that only the proposer and seconder must be named on the list of 100+ nominations for the ballot. The other 98+ names will remain anonymous.

I don't doubt he's reached the threshold now.

Actually it has 56 and 16 unnamed backers who supposedly cant identify themselves due to their Government or party position. Guido claims to have verified them but who knows. 

Badenoch backs Sunak. Her gang will follow I expect. Harder and harder to see where Boris will get his 100 from 

1 minute ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

That's a surprise would have thought she'd be behind honking pudding

She did resign from his Government in the summer and never did endorse Truss after she was eliminated. But still a big move.