Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yeah, I don't get this.  I thought if Sunak got more than half the MPs votes, which it seems he has, he automatically wins.

From what I'm seeing on Twitter, members are thinking the same, ie not expecting to get a vote.

100 MPs to get on the ballot. So if there's 2, and the second doesn't pull out, it goes to the membership.

Rishi coronation.

Tory psychodrama continues.

Penny Dreadful does a Boris.  Charming.

The King gets to appoint someone richer than him as Prime Minister.

Just to lighten the mood a little.

Steve Bray should get a peerage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just to lighten the mood a little.

Steve Bray should get a peerage.

Fabricant is a wanker for sure but Bray needs his megaphone shoving deep into his arse hole. Only his most ardent supporters think he isn't a pointless, irritating cunt.

Why is the changeover not happening today? It's 4 in the afternoon and the King is already heading back to London as planned. Cameron entered Downing Street at something like 9pm after sealing his coalition deal with Clegg in 2010. Given the crises this country is facing, why are we wasting 18-24 hours congratulating Sunak for being the last man standing instead of getting him in post, appointing his cabinet and hitting the ground running tomorrow. His Chancellor has a fiscal statement to deliver a week today and government departments need to decide on spending cuts ASAP (they were meant to sign off on it last Friday, but nobody now knows who the Secretary of State responsible is). Fuck the back slapping, get on with governing.

55 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Let the infighting continue :D

1045d970147aef192c7c618586d16245e4d49c0f.jpeg

I see no difference:

Beetlejuice (1988)

Ooh Matt Hancock trending on twitter with talk of Rishi Sunak apparently snubbing him today as seen in this video. 

No waiting by the telephone for a cabinet job then  I suspect ....

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Why is the changeover not happening today? It's 4 in the afternoon and the King is already heading back to London as planned. Cameron entered Downing Street at something like 9pm after sealing his coalition deal with Clegg in 2010. Given the crises this country is facing, why are we wasting 18-24 hours congratulating Sunak for being the last man standing instead of getting him in post, appointing his cabinet and hitting the ground running tomorrow. His Chancellor has a fiscal statement to deliver a week today and government departments need to decide on spending cuts ASAP (they were meant to sign off on it last Friday, but nobody now knows who the Secretary of State responsible is). Fuck the back slapping, get on with governing.

Truss wants a final cabinet meeting.

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Truss wants a final cabinet meeting.

To say what? Just go Liz, you've already wasted 7 weeks we didn't have, let alone the 3 months it took to elect you in the first place.

• Facepalm 1

Sunak’s speech earlier made one of Truss’ look relaxed and fluid.

The one I feel bad for is Penny Dreadful. Looks like she’ll have to wait until November to be Prime Minister.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

The one I feel bad for is Penny Dreadful. Looks like she’ll have to wait until November to be Prime Minister.

"It's November 24th, the Tory MPs are voting on two candidates to be the next Prime Minister, Penny Mordaunt, or an inanimate carbon rod. And the carbon rod has won!"

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

There's an interesting question here. Given the dire poll ratings and the last chance saloon most Tories realise they're in, is it a given they give Sunak the ditch after the next election assuming they crater as they're expected to? Or does he rebuild in opposition and look to lead them back to power in 2030-odd?

2 minutes ago, msc said:

"It's November 24th, the Tory MPs are voting on two candidates to be the next Prime Minister, Penny Mordaunt, or an inanimate carbon rod. And the carbon rod has won!"

The Inanimate carbon rod | The simpsons, Homer simpson, Homer

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

There's an interesting question here. Given the dire poll ratings and the last chance saloon most Tories realise they're in, is it a given they give Sunak the ditch after the next election assuming they crater as they're expected to? Or does he rebuild in opposition and look to lead them back to power in 2030-odd?

The leader at the next election will be punished by the party if they lose badly. If they only lose by 20 seats or so (much better than current polls) they might get cut some slack but it will be left to a new leader to rebuild in the luxury of opposition 

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

See, I’d have had money on Sunak waiting until after the Tories’ electoral demolition to become leader so he could be the one to rebuild them. I don’t think he’ll be able to carry on once the GE has happened, even if it doesn’t total them as polls are suggesting now. We’ll have to see who’s left.

15 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The Inanimate carbon rod | The simpsons, Homer simpson, Homer

At least people get my Simpsons references these days. The first time I tried the "upgraded to a better hospital" gag, someone thought I was referencing the US health care system!

• Haha 2

Just a thought.

The markets have perked up under Sunak, interest rates do not look like they be are going to be as high as predicted before he was seen as a shoe in.

So....

What exactly will Labour offer those markets, that have us all by the balls, to ensure that, if an election is held tomorrow, things won't spiral to shit again?

Granted, I know how shit the government is but, as yet, lots of hand wringing from Labour but no maths on the board. None of us actually know what the fuck they propose to do about things, windfall tax asides, which won't touch the debt we are in.

Sunak getting in is bad news for the opposition, if he spins things around and stabilizes the ship..... 

42 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Just a thought.

The markets have perked up under Sunak, interest rates do not look like they be are going to be as high as predicted before he was seen as a shoe in.

So....

What exactly will Labour offer those markets, that have us all by the balls, to ensure that, if an election is held tomorrow, things won't spiral to shit again?

Granted, I know how shit the government is but, as yet, lots of hand wringing from Labour but no maths on the board. None of us actually know what the fuck they propose to do about things, windfall tax asides, which won't touch the debt we are in.

Sunak getting in is bad news for the opposition, if he spins things around and stabilizes the ship..... 

He’s still a ‘darkie’ though. And that’s not just off putting to Tory voters…

I can’t imagine Sunak staying as Tory leader if Labour are in power. Even a narrow loss will likely see him resign.