Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

11 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Markets are reacting well to the possibilty of the Honking Pudding's return.....

And that’s before he’s even announced he’s running. Fucking hell.

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There have been rumours circulating for some time that the reason Wallace didn't go full tilt at the last leadership challenge was there was something smelly in his past that needed to remain hidden.

Dogshit?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Markets are reacting well to the possibilty of the Honking Pudding's return.....

How can they be reacting well? He fell out with Rishi Sunak because he wanted the sorts of tax cuts Truss brought in and Sunak told him we couldn't afford them (and was proved right). He's always been about the popular policies and never taken a difficult decision (like spending cuts or tax rises) in his life, and half the party resigned to force his exit 3 months ago, and a sizable chunk are threatening to do the same thing this time, meaning we'll be in the same mess we are now!

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There have been rumours circulating for some time that the reason Wallace didn't go full tilt at the last leadership challenge was there was something smelly in his past that needed to remain hidden.

Yes there was an ambiguous phrase in a write up of his prospects I saw that said he is very guarded about scrutiny of his private life (or words to that effect).

I think the problem is that he is the only cabinet member on top of his brief but I think he recognises that does not automatically make him PM material 

• Like 2

Boris Johnson is a buffoon, but also an honest populist. I can deal with honest populists, they just want to be in power and/or be loved. The populists who have other motives, those really scare me. 

Mordaunt’s in.

By which I mean, she has declared her attempt to become PM. I can’t see her securing anything like 100 endorsements if she’s in a contest with Johnson and Sunak.

King: So you told mummy you couldn't muster the support of the Commons a few months ago?

BJ: I did not.

King: Why did you see mummy?

BJ: Because my party wanted me out.

King: So why are you here?

BJ: My party wants me back.

King: Can you muster the support of the Commons?

BJ: I can have a go...

King: Fuck off Boris.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Boris Johnson is a buffoon, but also an honest populist. I can deal with honest populists, they just want to be in power and/or be loved. The populists who have other motives, those really scare me. 

I know exactly what you mean, though the word ‘honest’ belongs nowhere near any paragraph about the Honking Pudding.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Honest is one of the last words I would use to describe Boris Johnson.

No, scrub that, it's a word I would never use about him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TQR said:

If the ‘honking pudding’ does stand and gets back in, the resignations would lose the Tories their majority. But then I can’t see one single sustainable solution. Damage limitation is all they can do; this is only going one way.

So actually him getting in would be the best outcome .... if we could rely on those resignations.   But they would back down, wouldn't they? 

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

So actually him getting in would be the best outcome .... if we could rely on those resignations.   But they would back down, wouldn't they? 

Well, they would back down.

No

They'll quit their ground
They'll be turned around
To keep the voters from draggin' them down
Gonna quit their frown
And they will back down

(Apologies to Tom Petty)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

At the moment they are reporting a dozen which still leaves him with a working majority. It needs to be almost triple that to have the desired impact

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Toast said:

It’s okay; even if the mass resignations don’t materialise, there’s always this:

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

It’s okay; even if the mass resignations don’t materialise, there’s always this:

Providing the cunts don't nobble the committee

Screenshot_20221021-121835_Chrome.jpg

• Angry 2

2 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Providing the cunts don't nobble the committee

Infuriating that we have a shower of cunts who think like that, but a) I’m optimistic that they won’t be able to, and b) If they did, honestly, I think the repercussions would be disastrous for them too.

OK, so let's game this out a bit. Over 50 MPs resigned from Johnson's cabinet in July, and that does not include Gove who was sacked, Braverman who announced she was standing as leader and didn't bother to resign as Attorney General, or Zahawi or Patel who were at Number 10 telling him it was time to go when he was still holding out. And I'm sure there are others. I know they're all shameless egomaniacs who are only interested in their own self service, but how can any of those MPs go back to their constituencies as government ministers having resigned from his government less than 6 months ago? And that's not including the backbenchers who wrote letters of no confidence they have to weasel their way out of now, before we get to the ardent backbenchers who won't support him. There should be upwards of 100 MPs, including several senior Tory figures, who will be politically unable to sit in a Johnson Cabinet.

But it's worth pointing out that, while perhaps not representative of the public at large (the polling will be interesting over the weekend), last night on the BBC the vox pop didn't struggle to find people saying "Bring back Boris". My favourite was a woman who said "He got Brexit done, and yes he made mistakes, but he apologised......eventually." As if the pause meant nothing.

Oh, and re: Ben Wallace. Aside from any personal stuff I'm not aware of, I'm not sure having someone in office who doesn't want to be is ever a good idea. I'm wary of naked ambition, but you have to be willing to do the job, and Ben Wallace just doesn't seem to want the top job. So I'm not surprised he's out, it's a similar situation to Alan Johnson and Labour. It's looking like Sunak, Mordaunt or...Johnson. :facepalm: My mate posed an interesting one last night. Pie in the sky, perhaps, but what if opinions are so set in stone no one can muster 100 nominations in the first round? :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

OK, so let's game this out a bit. Over 50 MPs resigned from Johnson's cabinet in July, and that does not include Gove who was sacked, Braverman who announced she was standing as leader and didn't bother to resign as Attorney General, or Zahawi or Patel who were at Number 10 telling him it was time to go when he was still holding out. And I'm sure there are others. I know they're all shameless egomaniacs who are only interested in their own self service, but how can any of those MPs go back to their constituencies as government ministers having resigned from his government less than 6 months ago? And that's not including the backbenchers who wrote letters of no confidence they have to weasel their way out of now, before we get to the ardent backbenchers who won't support him. There should be upwards of 100 MPs, including several senior Tory figures, who will be politically unable to sit in a Johnson Cabinet.

But it's worth pointing out that, while perhaps not representative of the public at large (the polling will be interesting over the weekend), but last night on the BBC the vox pop didn't struggle to find people saying "Bring back Boris". My favourite was a woman who said "He got Brexit done, and yes he made mistakes, but he apologised......eventually." As if the pause meant nothing.

Oh, and re: Ben Wallace. Aside from any personal stuff I'm not aware of, I'm not sure having someone in office who doesn't want to be is ever a good idea. I'm wary of naked ambition, but you have to be willing to do the job, and Ben Wallace just doesn't seem to want the top job. So I'm not surprised he's out, it's a similar situation to Alan Johnson and Labour. It's looking like Sunak, Mordaunt or...Johnson. :facepalm: My mate posed an interesting one last night. Pie in the sky, perhaps, but what if opinions are so set in stone no one can muster 100 nominations in the first round? :lol:

Sunak 100, Honking Pudding 99, Everyone else (not getting a 100 or over). Sunak becomes PM:lol:

• Haha 1

Starting to answer my own question, the first snap polls are in...

30 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

But it's worth pointing out that, while perhaps not representative of the public at large (the polling will be interesting over the weekend), last night on the BBC the vox pop didn't struggle to find people saying "Bring back Boris". My favourite was a woman who said "He got Brexit done, and yes he made mistakes, but he apologised......eventually." As if the pause meant nothing.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Starting to answer my own question, the first snap polls are in...

On the assumption it was the same group of people it’s interesting that 71% think he knowingly lied but only 52% would be unhappy if he returned as PM.

Which means at least 19% of people are not unhappy to have a PM who lies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

On the assumption it was the same group of people it’s interesting that 71% think he knowingly lied but only 52% would be unhappy if he returned as PM.

Which means at least 19% of people are not unhappy to have a PM who lies.

The exact same number of respondents, so that's exactly what those figures mean. Proving the Great British public should, as a rule, be allowed nowhere near a ballot box.

5 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Smelly as in shagging away from home? That type of smell?