Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

7 hours ago, Rhys said:

The ward is 41% Jewish and the Tory candidate was a Rabbi, as much as I'd like to, it's quite hard to blame that on Corbyn.

The last time the seat was Tory was 1992 - the Rabbi has stood for that seat previously and not won. The whole antisemitic issue within the Labour party is precisely the blame for the loss of the seat, and that absolutely includes Corbyn. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

The last time the seat was Tory was 1992 - the Rabbi has stood for that seat previously and not won. The whole antisemitic issue within the Labour party is precisely the blame for the loss of the seat, and that absolutely includes Corbyn. 

@rhys interested in where the 41% Jewish figure comes from. Evening Nazi reports it was more likely the bin collections being the issue, rather anti-semitism. Also 25% turnout indicates lots of Labour voters not being arsed.

17 minutes ago, rockhopper penguin said:

@rhys interested in where the 41% Jewish figure comes from. Evening Nazi reports it was more likely the bin collections being the issue, rather anti-semitism. Also 25% turnout indicates lots of Labour voters not being arsed.

I'd seen a figure of 33% Jewish which I believe came from a recent census, although this article from The Times of Israel says it is 41% and speculates antisemitism being the issue. 

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

I'd seen a figure of 33% Jewish which I believe came from a recent census, although this article from The Times of Israel says it is 41% and speculates antisemitism being the issue. 

Mandy Rice Davis.

I'd just like to note given the above that if Labour lose Glasgow in 2 months, it'll have nothing to do with Mr Corbyn, and everything to do with the city council.

• Like 1

I wasn't saying Corbyn doesn't have to accept blame. It's just in these days of mistrumpformation we should be clear on veracity of statements being made.

So, the UUP leader Mike Nesbitt said he would transfer his vote (STV system) to the SDLP in the N Ireland election. Apparently a fair few Ulster Unionists followed his advice. Result? The SDLP have nabbed some shock results from the Unionist parties, the UUP are down to 10 MLAs, their leader has had to resign, and the main Unionist parties (the DUP/UUP/etc) have lost the overall Stormont majority...

Not entirely sure he thought this idea through, to be honest!

Here comes the Budget....

I'm expecting a special regional deal for the South East....

Death wishlist 2018: whichever spad told Philip Hammond he should tell some jokes

• Like 2

A bit of Philip Hammond's speech you might have missed.

In order to improve the prospects for my DDP 2018 theme team I can confirm we will turn off the heating in the House of Lords

• Like 1

"We will accept 3000 child refugees" - the public were lied to.

"We will not raise National Insurance" - the public were lied to.

"We will not deport EU citizens after Brexit" - to be confirmed.

• Like 1

Hey, YW, you want a big one? Wait till folk realise the UK wont be leaving the Common Fisheries or Agriculture policies...

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

Hey, YW, you want a big one? Wait till folk realise the UK wont be leaving the Common Fisheries or Agriculture policies...

Oh I can well see that.

Regaining control of our fishing rights will be sold down the river in exchange for passporting rights for the City of London. This I guarantee.

I'd also guess that around 75% of the business rates relief will go to businesses in the South East (as I kinda predicted).

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Oh I can well see that.

Regaining control of our fishing rights will be sold down the river in exchange for passporting rights for the City of London. This I guarantee.

I'd also guess that around 75% of the business rates relief will go to businesses in the South East (as I kinda predicted).

Something something market confidence something something.

In the week that Theresa May did her best Ted Heath impression, I've just realised Justine Greening looks like she has a clown's face without the need for any whiteface makeup.

For political balance (and thus appeasing LFN), Labour's David Anderson looks like a folk singer and the Lib Dems Alistair Carmichael still looks like a liar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

In the week that Theresa May did her best Ted Heath impression, I've just realised Justine Greening looks like she has a clown's face without the need for any whiteface makeup.

For political balance (and thus appeasing LFN), Labour's David Anderson looks like a folk singer and the Lib Dems Alistair Carmichael still looks like a liar.

This post works brilliantly if imagined in the voice of Henry Davenport.

dropdonkey1993a.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

You forgot to add that Corbyn looks like a cunt. :D

• Like 1

Have to say biggest enjoyment for me today was John McDonnell's characterisation of the PM on Budget Day as "guffawing like a feeding seal".

• Like 1

If Mr Corbyn feels like he's had a bad day, he needs to remember it could be worse. He could be the leader of the Dutch Labour Party instead, who according to the exit polls have gone from 38 seats to just 9, taking only 6% of the vote.

Who do we send to a famine stricken area? Boris Johnson, butterball.

Who's next? Eric Pickles? Patrick McLoughlin? Will we have a fundraiser hosted by James Corden, Peter Kay and Nick Frost?

George Osborne is the new editor of the Evening Standard.

I'd make some comment about him trying to look clever instead of actually running the newspaper and thus falling into preventable issues, but it's too obvious.

Just now, msc said:

George Osborne is the new editor of the Evening Standard.

I'd make some comment about him trying to look clever instead of actually running the newspaper and thus falling into preventable issues, but it's too obvious.

Staying on as an MP (for now)

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Staying on as an MP (for now)

Yeah he has another job which he earns shitloads for a few hours a month too, and his MP salary.

Some folk make millions out of failure.

• Like 2

Meantime David Cameron (remember him?) says he won the General Election fair and square. No, you constituency-abandoning chump, you thought that creative accounting would allow you to spend more in constituencies than was permitted by law. It's like tax avoidance for the electoral system.

Theresa (remember her?) is on her feet and ahead of the local elections announces she has "plans" to sort out high energy bills which will be revealed "very soon". Why not now? "Give me your vote in the local elections and we'll sort out capitalism and monopoly, promise" wouldn't cut it for me.

Still awaiting her so called demolition of Scottish Independence...

• Like 2