RadGuy

20th Century Americans Sitcoms

33 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Posted from Bette Midler

Still, good news about Repticon.

• Like 1

f06827e690aff2d05abc3b557934e304.jpg.1258499d9e3314d56f3cbbc123c284db.jpg

Elizabeth MacRae (wikidead at 88.

Played Lou-Ann Poovie in "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.", also had a recurring role in "General Hospital".

Only standout film credit was in Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" (1974). That film starred surviving ancients Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall, as well as Harrison Ford and Teri Garr.

• Like 3

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Played Lou-Ann Poovie in "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.", also had a recurring role in "General Hospital".

Only standout film credit was in Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" (1974). That film starred surviving ancients Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall, as well as Harrison Ford.

She also voiced the Ladyfish in The Incredible Mr. Limpet which I saw only a couple days ago! That's why the name seemed so familiar to me.

1 minute ago, markb4 said:

She also voiced the Ladyfish in The Incredible Mr. Limpet which I saw only a couple days ago! That's why the name seemed so familiar to me.

Never heard of it. Though I just took a look at the cast list and it seems like MacRae was the last surviving credited cast member following the death of Carole Cook in 2023.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

f06827e690aff2d05abc3b557934e304.jpg.1258499d9e3314d56f3cbbc123c284db.jpg

Only standout film credit was in Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" (1974). That film starred surviving ancients Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall, as well as Harrison Ford and Teri Garr.

Did you know she also starred alongside Harrison Ford in the film? He wasn't quite Han Solo yet, but it's fun to see them together early in their careers

• Like 1

Hiram Kasten, stand-up comedian who came up with Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David and went on to play Elaine's co-worker Michael on Seinfeld (as well as appearances in all the other usual comedy character actor shows), dead at 71.

• Like 2

Benji Gregory, a child actor best remembered as Brian Tanner on the TV series Alf, died June 13th. He was 46. Gregory's death was first reported yesterday (July 11th). It's believed his death was accidental, the result of falling asleep in a car under the sweltering Arizona sun.

https://people.com/alf-child-star-benji-gregory-dies-at-46-8676311

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Benji Gregory (Wiki), American child actor best known for playing Brian Tanner on the 1986–1990 NBC sitcom ALF dead at 46

Also the voice of Edgar, in Once Upon a Forest, one of my favourite childhood animated films :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Came across this Youtube short where a man got in the way of Henry Winkler trying to leave the post office. The man was talked down to by numerous bystanders.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/aug/15/matthew-perry-arrest-death

Why can it not be that he just did himself on this? Any normal person overdoses on anything, it's on them. 

Because he's (was) rich and famous it was somebody else's fault? Bollocks.

Not that I have anything against the man, its tough no doubt.

• Like 1

Knock AI if you want

Interestingly however, although this isn't exactly how I'd have put it, it does have a certain.. reasonableness?

The disparity in how society treats drug overdoses involving famous people versus non-famous people reflects several social and cultural dynamics, including issues of visibility, public influence, and assumptions about personal responsibility.

1. Visibility and Public Scrutiny: Famous people are under constant public attention, and their lives are often seen as part of the public domain. When a celebrity dies, especially from something as stigmatized as a drug overdose, the public and media search for explanations beyond individual responsibility. The story captures widespread interest, and society wants to assign blame or explain it in a way that aligns with broader narratives. This can lead to questioning their inner circle (doctors, aides, friends) and holding them accountable, particularly if there are suspicions of enabling behavior.

2. Perception of Value and Influence: Celebrities often hold significant cultural influence and are seen as having a broader societal impact. When they die, the loss is viewed not just as a personal tragedy, but also as a loss of someone who shaped culture, entertainment, or public discourse. There is a vested interest in preventing such a loss by holding others accountable to maintain the image that celebrities' lives should be protected or handled with care. People also often feel that those in the celebrity's life—doctors, advisors—should have had a stronger sense of duty to prevent harm.

3. Public Expectations and Scapegoating: Society often assumes that those around famous individuals hold a degree of responsibility for protecting them. If a celebrity was prescribed drugs, for example, it's common to scrutinize the prescribing doctor for negligence or over-prescription, especially in high-profile cases like Michael Jackson, Prince, or Heath Ledger. This impulse to blame others can be a form of moral scapegoating, protecting the public’s idealized view of a star while highlighting how society feels institutions (e.g., medical professionals) have failed to uphold their responsibilities.

4. Class and Social Bias: For non-famous individuals, especially those without wealth or access to high-quality medical care, drug addiction is often framed as a personal failing or moral weakness. This attitude is part of a broader societal stigma surrounding drug use, particularly in lower-income communities, where addiction is seen as an individual's problem to solve, rather than a systemic issue influenced by factors like mental health, access to healthcare, and socio-economic conditions.

5. Legal and Medical Responsibility: In the case of celebrities, the legal system tends to more heavily investigate the role of doctors and caregivers because they can be seen as professionals with a legal duty of care. There is often more focus on medical malpractice, unethical prescription practices, or negligence. For the average person, unless there is clear criminal negligence, authorities may not prioritize similar investigations. The legal approach often differs because of the resources and attention allocated to high-profile cases.

6. Stigma Around Addiction: Addiction is generally viewed differently depending on social status. For non-famous people, drug use is often seen as a personal choice, which reinforces the idea that their overdose is solely their own fault. Celebrities, on the other hand, are often portrayed as victims of their fame and stress, and their drug use may be explained by external pressures, shifting blame to the people around them.

In summary, when a famous person overdoses, the public and authorities are more likely to investigate external factors and assign blame to doctors or aides because of the visibility, value, and influence associated with their lives, as well as societal expectations of those around them. Conversely, non-famous individuals are more often seen as solely responsible for their own actions, due to entrenched stigmas around addiction and social class bias.

This last bit..

Conversely, non-famous individuals are more often seen as solely responsible for their own actions, due to entrenched stigmas around addiction and social class bias.

Oh dear me yes. So ordinary people are responsible for their own actions and those in the public eye are less so?

Yeah, figures.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/aug/15/matthew-perry-arrest-death

Why can it not be that he just did himself on this? Any normal person overdoses on anything, it's on them. 

Because he's (was) rich and famous it was somebody else's fault? Bollocks.

Not that I have anything against the man, its tough no doubt.

Not necessarily, an overdose, or even a drunk driving fatality, which can be traced to someone else’s malfeasance, are often prosecuted. 

Just now, arrowsmith said:

Not necessarily, an overdose, or even a drunk driving fatality, which can be traced to someone else’s malfeasance, are often prosecuted. 

You lost me. I was pointing out the difference between famous and non-famous treatment. Are you saying it doesn't exist?

Chapaquidick?.....however you spell it. :)

Ultimately Trump should be in jail by now, but somehow he isn't, he's still in a presidential race.

I just don't understand it - every fibre of my being wants to believe it's the same for everyone, the law is fair to all.

And yet every piece of evidence in the current age flies in the face of this.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Taken with an extreme grain of salt but Twitter is saying Tina Louise from Gilligans Island is dead. Obviously waiting for real confirmation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Taken with an extreme grain of salt but Twitter is saying Tina Louise from Gilligans Island is dead. Obviously waiting for real confirmation.

She's been doing the media rounds in recent days for the re-release of her memoirs. I think the tweeter misread one of the articles.

I was going to post that. Seems bullshit.

9 minutes ago, drol said:

I was going to post that. Seems bullshit.

Yeah gotta be bullshit, half an hour and no real news reports.

Yeah I am with you all that it seems to be a mistake.. But being she is on my Shadow List could not help but think of the tantalizing thought of a hit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RetroGamer47 said:

I always wonder and just over all curious about these situations how mis information about a person's death is so easily spread to  the world.  Where did this person get their source from to think it was ok to Twitter about it? How far did the lie spread? Numerous of people stupidly and blindly shared it without looking into it themselves to make sure it was true. Then the person putting out this lie and having it up for hours just deletes it as nothing happened.  No apologies or explanation as to why they thought posting this was such a brilliant idea. Of course we live in a society where no one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore either. You have to wonder about the person themselves that if they catch wind of this and how it makes them feel. To see a Twitter post saying you are dead. 

14 minutes ago, livingbygrace said:

I always wonder and just over all curious about these situations how mis information about a person's death is so easily spread to  the world.  Where did this person get their source from to think it was ok to Twitter about it? How far did the lie spread? Numerous of people stupidly and blindly shared it without looking into it themselves to make sure it was true. Then the person putting out this lie and having it up for hours just deletes it as nothing happened.  No apologies or explanation as to why they thought posting this was such a brilliant idea. Of course we live in a society where no one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore either. You have to wonder about the person themselves that if they catch wind of this and how it makes them feel. To see a Twitter post saying you are dead. 

It's all for likes, subscribers, followers. A lot of people do not seem to really think about what they share, I recall atleast one US Senator fell for the Carter hoax a month ago.

Willie Nelson did a song on this already a while ago:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, arghton said:

Willie Nelson did a song on this already a while ago:

That approach didn't go so well for David Gest.