RadGuy

20th Century Americans Sitcoms

2 hours ago, msc said:

Hated The Office. 

I liked bits of Friday Night Dinner because it had a sweary dad that things go wrong for, and I like being represented. :D

Friends was funny at the time but it's aged badly. Either that or I'm an adult nowadays.

Perry's stuff has dated the least, though I still love a good OTT Joey reaction.

Outnumbered I love. It is life with kids. 

Actually never heard of this one?

Hated it but I'm allergic to Gervais.

I really liked this one. Lots of fun mixed in with actual pathos. The one with Robin's kids, Christ. The finale was a mess but something I've learnt is that most TV finales are a mess. I still like Frasier and Drop the Dead Donkey.

Not a fan either.

God I hate both of these.

I am Reverse Sean.

While we're here, Little Britain, Mrs Brown, Miranda, as funny as a dose of Ebola IMO.

Yeah I love Little Britain and  Mrs Brown but agree that Miranda is as funny if not less than Ebola.I think Miranda is probably the worst sitcom I have ever seen.

• Like 1

I really liked Will and Grace as a teenager.

8 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Yeah, the finale is notorious for how it undoes the entire previous 9 seasons. Neil's character pretty much has all his character development undone and goes back to being a manipulative creep who prays on women like he was in the first 7 seasons, and he's the fan favourite character.

Problem is they'd filmed the finale long before the rest because kids get old. Then the show got recommissioned well over the original expectations. And so storylines started with that extra time took over. I agree that his part of the finale is the worst bit. The other bit people complain about was foreshadowed for nine years, the issue there was more in the time given to it. Which was fuck all.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Mrs Brown

And there’s the third worst.

• Like 1

The only episode of South Park I've ever seen was one with giant guinea pigs (IRL ones, not the usual paper cutout style). If there's ever been a more quintessential DI sentence I don't know what is ^_^

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Problem is they'd filmed the finale long before the rest because kids get old. Then the show got recommissioned well over the original expectations. And so storylines started with that extra time took over. I agree that his part of the finale is the worst bit. The other bit people complain about was foreshadowed for nine years, the issue there was more in the time given to it. Which was fuck all.

My main issue (aside from hating 4/5 main characters) is that the narration from older Ted ruins my investment in any relationship he has. When there's that season where Ted and Robin actually get together I don't care about their relationship because from episode 1 it has been said that Ted and Robin don't end up together so I just spent the entire time theorising about why they'll break up. This issue is made worse by the finale where they actually do end up together and I just feel like the show has purposely been lying to me the entire time. 

Also the mother character breaks my suspension of disbelief, when she coincidentally almost meets Ted multiple times throughout the show and then somehow bonds with all 4 other main characters before meeting Ted in that final season.

8 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

So Matthew Perry and Luke Perry died at almost the same age, 54 for Matthew, 53 for Luke.

And Matthew starred in one episode of Beverly Hills before Friends.

In my mind, they were the same person. Like all the Ryan actors are. Is there a Mark and John Perry to complete the gospels? John Perry is the Only Ones’ guitarist, and an excellent axeman he is. Oh and I just remembered Mark Perry is the ATV and Sniffing Glue man.

18 minutes ago, TQR said:

Frasier was good. I haven’t yet seen the recent reboot, but word is that it’s toss. Anyone seen it yet?

Nowhere near as good as the original. It's not terrible though 

28 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

In my mind, they were the same person. Like all the Ryan actors are. Is there a Mark and John Perry to complete the gospels? John Perry is the Only Ones’ guitarist, and an excellent axeman he is. Oh and I just remembered Mark Perry is the ATV and Sniffing Glue man.

Don't forget Fred.

37 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

The Bill Pullman/Paxton factor.

• Like 1

I only ever saw Friends occasionally, usually at friends houses! I have never chosen to watch it, as the premise just didn't appeal to me, an opinion that never changed with the occasional viewing.

Ricky Gervais is a classic example of "diminishing returns" as far as I'm concerned - loved The Office, Extras still good, Life's Too Short, getting a bit 'meh', Derek, abominable (never worried about anything else he's been in since).

The one I can't really get on with is Steve Coogan - Alan Partridge is a joke that went on too long (that being said, his Irish farmer singing rebel songs was one of the funniest bits of TV ever) and consequently, whenever I see him in any other role or character, I expect him to exclaim 'Aha!'. In that respect, David Jason is always Del Boy (I always expected him to call Mullet a plonker).

• Like 1

It's been interesting to see the reaction to Matthew Perry, one of those deaths that hits a demographic nerve - people who grew up with Friends as part of their pop-culture experience. Also of course he's the first of the gang to die, as Morrissey put it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Oh and I just remembered Mark Perry is the ATV and Sniffing Glue man.

Alternative TV have a new album that was released this week, so he presumably isn't going to die for a while yet.

Sad news. I'm glad his troubled life is at an end. Hopefully he gets some deserved rest now.

Whether you like or hate Friends, it is hard to argue with the massive influence it has had. RIP

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TQR said:

And let's not forget animated shite too; South Park is the worst televised thing I have ever seen, with Family Guy placing second. Both are painfully, desperately unfunny.

God. I hate South Park. Everyone I've ever met who worships that show has always turned out to be a smarter than thou douchebag. Also the creators strike me as a douchebags as well. 

• Like 2

I actually think Mirandia is really funny and some pure physical comedy. Patricia Hodge I fantastic playing against type. 

I only like the US version of The Office and I have watched Friends through on a number of occasions. Frasier is pure joy and currently enjoying Big Bang Theory & Ghosts 

The one I could never understand was Gavin & Stacey

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The one I could never understand was Gavin & Stacey

That’s the Corden effect.

• Like 1

I have never intentionally watched and episode of Friends but it was hard to avoid. It's not my thing but I sort of get the appeal. I've not seen enough of The Office to make a judgement on that but I hated Extras so can't imagine I  would enjoy it.

The longevity and popularity of Not Going Out is the one which baffles me.  

Just now, Handrejka said:

The longevity and popularity of Not Going Out is the one which baffles me.

Yeah, it was never the same after Tim Vine left.

5 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Sad news. I'm glad his troubled life is at an end. Hopefully he gets some deserved rest now.

Whether you like or hate Friends, it is hard to argue with the massive influence it has had. RIP

I get the sentiment about him not suffering anymore but in recent years he got a lot of joy sponsoring other addicts and advocating mental health and addiction causes. Of course you never know the extent of the inner torment in someone's head but he at least appeared to get some satisfaction out of life which is something.

• Like 1

Friends was one of my favorites. I read Matthew's book though, and there was just no way he was making it another 5 years. Addicted to drugs since he was a baby; he really could never get stonecold sober. Glad he was out there playing pickleball though, that was something that cheered up his life.
I do feel like with his death and Suzanne Somers -- sitcom stars I watched -- we're going to get a rash of others I'm fans of. Christina Applegate, maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilham said:

Friends was one of my favorites. I read Matthew's book though, and there was just no way he was making it another 5 years. Addicted to drugs since he was a baby; he really could never get stonecold sober. Glad he was out there playing pickleball though, that was something that cheered up his life.
I do feel like with his death and Suzanne Somers -- sitcom stars I watched -- we're going to get a rash of others I'm fans of. Christina Applegate, maybe.

Since he was a baby?

1 hour ago, lilham said:

since he was a baby?????

• Like 1