Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

Goldsmith will be only worth 5 points initially. if he loses the by-election you get the other 5 but if he wins he stays in play.

Fair chance he'll lose - apart from anything else the Lib Dems are going to make an issue of Brexit, the economy etc. etc, on this. The Tories won't oppose him but it could still get messy.

• Like 1

Depends if the Tories field a candidate or not. Big chance that they don't, Goldsmith stands as an independent with the tacit backing of the local Conservative association and he quietly rejoins the Blues for the 2020 GE. Otherwise, a vote-splitting would let the Lib Dems come up on the rails.

Did anyone pick Nick Boles?Has now got head cancer which typically has a 50/50 chance of survival.He also had non hodgkins lymphoma in the past so it might be connected.

Did anyone pick Nick Boles?Has now got head cancer which typically has a 50/50 chance of survival.He also had non hodgkins lymphoma in the past so it might be connected.

Nick Boles is not a pick.

All the best to him.

Update for Zac Goldsmith.

45 Points

Rover and Out

40 Points

RockHopperPenguin

The Engineer

Voice of Young Maryport

35 Points

Time

30 Points

Bibliogryphon

Shaun of the Dead

Rotton Ali

15 Points

MPFC

The Dead Cow

5 Points

Handrejka

DeathRay

Msc

Manuel

0 Points

Young Willz

Sir Creep

Phantom

An extra five points if ZG fails to win the By-election.

• Like 1

I think the Tories are being cowardly by not fighting this by-election. Effectively they are saying they know that local people don't want the third runway but they don't care. If they really believed in it they would put someone up who can argue against Zac. It is arrogance of the highest order.

If ZG does go back into the fold before 2020 he will be the worlds biggest sellout (Ken Livingstone would have to give up his trophy)

I think the Tories are being cowardly by not fighting this by-election. Effectively they are saying they know that local people don't want the third runway but they don't care. If they really believed in it they would put someone up who can argue against Zac. It is arrogance of the highest order.

If ZG does go back into the fold before 2020 he will be the worlds biggest sellout (Ken Livingstone would have to give up his trophy)

What it means if he wins, is the Tories avoid a debate, Zac is a lone voice in opposition to Heathrow but ultimately follows the Tory whip thereby preserving the majority. If he loses the Tories majority goes down and Zac is fighting against Heathrow from outside. On balance better for the Tories to have him win.

Zac's chances probably improved regarding getting back in

UKIP are sitting this one out and support him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37786753

Yep support from UKIP would certainly encourage me to vote for him.........

To be honest, I don't care who else backs him on the single issue, if I was in his constituency I'd vote for him in this by-election and I'm a leftie. The higher his majority the stronger the signal to the government of local dismay and the more bargaining power he hopefully has in representing that view.

UKIP are sitting this one out and support him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37786753

To be honest, I don't care who else backs him on the single issue, if I was in his constituency I'd vote for him in this by-election and I'm a leftie. The higher his majority the stronger the signal to the government of local dismay and the more bargaining power he hopefully has in representing that view.

It doesn't work like that. You are an MP or you're not, the number of votes is immaterial (as Churchill said 'one's enough'). As an independent he has no bargaining power. The only way he will block the runway being built will be to do a Swampy.
  • Like 1

It doesn't work like that. You are an MP or you're not, the number of votes is immaterial (as Churchill said 'one's enough'). As an independent he has no bargaining power. The only way he will block the runway being built will be to do a Swampy.

Yeah but he won't block it alone - not sure about this going forward at all. Fuckton of money involved, traffic chaos in a chaotic location and pollution problems that'll need outright lies instead of research to make them look good. Then a government sitting on a razor blade majority is leading it. The likely outcome, surely, is that this gets mired in legal and political problems to the point votes across a significant area are tied to it up to and beyond the next election. Winner is hard to call, loser for the next few years is anyone commuting or selling a house in west London and along the M3/M4

I know it doesn't work like that but the whole systems fucked, so in this instance I'd use my vote to show my feelings on the issue. The worst case scenario is I get the MP I'd have had anyway. If Goldsmith gets 80-90% of the vote on the anti-Heathrow platform it's going to embarass the government.

I know it doesn't work like that but the whole systems fucked, so in this instance I'd use my vote to show my feelings on the issue. The worst case scenario is I get the MP I'd have had anyway. If Goldsmith gets 80-90% of the vote on the anti-Heathrow platform it's going to embarass the government.

It'll embarass some of them, it might stoke up Bozo's bid to lead them, mind. He's already positioning himself against that runway.

In theory the candidates can't force the issues that is up to the electorate. If the Tories were standing then they would have to speak about Heathrow but the locals might decide that the numpty has put himself in their hands and they might be still really angry about the EU ref and his London mayoral bid. Interesting times.

Alternatively they might have been pissed if he'd promised to do this if Heathrow expansion went through and then reneged. I'm not a fan of Goldsmith but I respect him sticking to his "promise" in his manifesto. It's a curious one as Goldsmith as good as admitted he ran as a Tory in 2010 as it was the best way to try and implement some of his views, so he might be more of a free thinking independent if returned to parliament, rather than a semi-detatched meber of the Tory party like Carswell. "Might" being key, there. As it's likely to return either an independent pissed off with the government, or a Lib Dem, so the majority falls by one.

Although if the Lib Dems turn it into a referendum on Brexit, I think they'll lose. Never run a local byelection on a national issue, it nearly never works.

Also, I'm wondering about the MP for Twickenham, who was elected largely on an anti-Heathrow expansion green Tory ticket.

• Like 1

The LD position is that this is a local issue because Richmond largely voted remain.

I'm sure the plan for a third runway flying east west is not the way to go. That funnelling fashion can't fully account for air incident near misses increasing to the point in bad conditions that end up with mistakes that will see two planes trying to land on the same runway at the same time or landing into those about to take off.

Make much more sense to use old air bases like RAF Upper Heyford In Oxfordshire and RAF Mildenhall in Norfolk.

By the time Heathrow gets a third it would need a fourth. Best convert some ex-military strips now into new medium sized airports.

I'm sure the plan for a third runway flying east west is not the way to go. That funnelling fashion can't account for air incident near misses increasing to the point in bad conditions that end up with mistakes that will see two planes trying to land on the same runway at the same time or landing into those about to take off.

Make much more sense to use old air bases like Upper Heyford or whichever won't be used by the USAF in Norfolk between Mildenhall and Lakenheath.

By the time Heathrow gets a third it would need a fourth. Best convert two ex-military strips now.

Respecting your professional judgement there Ali - on a personal level the years of roadworks on the M25 will doubtless include major closures and re-directions over weekends, blighting my football journeys for a few seasons

The south east has over heated to such an extent that the M25 is now quite outdated too. I think that another orbital motorway is required. Before the M25 plan was given the green light the idea was that many orbital roads would be constructed.

I'll term it the M17.

Junction 1 being Stanstead Airport, going clockwise.

J2 Between Braintree and Chelmford.

J3 Brentwood.

J4 Basildon.

J4 Tilbury Docks, new tunnel below the Thames then between...

J5 Stood and Gravesend,

J6 new junction 3a on the M20 for Maidstone,

J7 Tunbridge

J8 Gatwick, making

J9 Cranleigh,

J10 Haslemere and

J11 Alton New Towns,

J12 crossing the J7 of the M3 at Basingstoke,

J12a new 12a junction on the M4 between Newbury and Reading,

J14 west of Abingdon,

J15 Oxford and

J16 west of Kidlington,

J17 junction looping above Bicester to the M40 J10 and Upper Heyford,

J18 topside of Aylesbury,

J19 below Dunstable,

J20 new junction 9a on the M1,

J21 Luton Airport,

J22 through junction 7 on the A1M below Stevenage,

J23 then making a new town at Sawbridgeworth and

J24 linking with the M11 at a new junction of 8a then back to Stanstead.

That will cost about £17 billion but it should keep the South East moving for another 50 years.

• Like 2

I'm sure the plan for a third runway flying east west is not the way to go. That funnelling fashion can't fully account for air incident near misses increasing to the point in bad conditions that end up with mistakes that will see two planes trying to land on the same runway at the same time or landing into those about to take off.

Make much more sense to use old air bases like RAF Upper Heyford In Oxfordshire and RAF Mildenhall in Norfolk.

By the time Heathrow gets a third it would need a fourth. Best convert some ex-military strips now into new medium sized airports.

Four parallel runways works perfectly safe all over the world. Technically, Gatwick has two runways but can't use them both at the same time because they are too close to each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1NLDoe8qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8vVH2FNiak

The United Nations' International Civil Aviation Organisation have very strict rules on this.

• Like 1

The south east has over heated to such an extent that the M25 is now quite outdated too. I think that another orbital motorway is required. Before the M25 plan was given the green light the idea was that many orbital roads would be constructed.

I'll term it the M17.

J3 Brentwood.

J4 Basildon.

J5 Stood and Gravesend,

J7 Tunbridge

J8 Gatwick, making

J9 Cranleigh,

J10 Haslemere and

J11 Alton New Towns,

J14 west of Abingdon,

J15 Oxford and

J16 west of Kidlington,

J19 below Dunstable,

J21 Luton Airport,

That will cost about £17 billion but it should keep the South East moving for another 50 years.

I can hear the howls of Nimbies already

I'll term it the M17.

J3 Brentwood.

J4 Basildon.

J5 Stood and Gravesend,

J7 Tunbridge

J8 Gatwick, making

J9 Cranleigh,

J10 Haslemere and

J11 Alton New Towns,

J14 west of Abingdon,

J15 Oxford and

J16 west of Kidlington,

J19 below Dunstable,

J21 Luton Airport,

I can hear the howls of Nimbies already

Nimby here would prefer to get an M34 first.

Well we have had to sit through three years of work on the M6/M1/A14 junction which is just coming to an end now and they still haven't included southbound access from the A14 to the M1.

I'll term it the M17.

J3 Brentwood.

J4 Basildon.

J5 Stood and Gravesend,

J7 Tunbridge

J8 Gatwick, making

J9 Cranleigh,

J10 Haslemere and

J11 Alton New Towns,

J14 west of Abingdon,

J15 Oxford and

J16 west of Kidlington,

J19 below Dunstable,

J21 Luton Airport,

Aw FFS

We don't manufacture anything anymore, Amazon are moving to drones and those not on minumum wage and trapped on their local high street can work online

Why the fuck do we need that shite?