Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

It's been Labour since 1935, that's why. Safe seats are as much probability as they are size of majority.

Anyhow, Tories ought to win this. It's essentially an open goal.

It's a Brexit seat; should be one for UKIP to test their replace Labour strategy.

Re Jamie Reed

He told the Guardian it wasn't to do with Corbyn's leadership

Hmmmm

Money probably. He'll be out of work anyway in three years, might as well take a job now. Oh and total lack of principles helps.

Anyone have Tristram Hunt?

Deathray and The Dead Cow

• Like 1

Thanks! Another careerist walks away from responsibility and his constituents. They really care about you...not.

Update for Tristram Hunt

50 Points

Rover and Out

40 Points

RockHopperPenguin

The Engineer

Voice of Young Maryport

Time

30 Points

Bibliogryphon

Shaun of the Dead

Rotton Ali

The Dead Cow

20 Points

MPFC

Deathray

10 Points

Handrejka

Msc

Manuel

0 Points

Young Willz

Sir Creep

Phantom

Wonder how many more Labour MP's will jump ship.

• Like 1

Thanks! Another careerist walks away from responsibility and his constituents. They really care about you...not.

If any Labour MP was going to but his career before his constituents Tristam Hunt seems like a good shout. Sadly given the current situation I can see a few more jumping ship. Be interesting to see who wins the by-elections given they're not ultra safe seats (held by Labour for a long time but with diminshing returns) I reckon they'll hold Copeland and lose Stoke to the Tories.

Also would be surprised if this is the last Labour MP resignation this month.

Tristram Hunt leaving Parliament? I can't decide who that is better news for: the general public, Parliament itself, or the Labour party. Possibly all three.

Tristram Hunt was the one who crossed a picket line to give a lecture about the importance of Marxism, which is possibly the most perfect metaphor for the modern Labour party imaginable.

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere last year that one of the potential plans by the blairite MPs to get rid of Corbyn was for them to constantly trigger by elections and put pressure on corbyn . Labour will lose Copeland and think there is a good chance they will lose Hunt's seat too. After that will Corbyns position become untenable?

In 2015 election stoke central (Hunt's seat) 45% voted either UKIP or Conservative 39% labour but the corbyn effect will mean labour losing a good chunk of that to ukip and lib dems. UKIP got 23% percent they take 5 to 7% off labour and hold their votes from 2015 UKIP have a serious chance of winning this!

Trending UKIP, 65% leave - if Stoke doesn't go UKIP in this by-election, they might as well give up trying to win MPs.

• Like 1

Wonder if they'll put in one of their big guns (maybe even Nuttall himself?) for the seat, or whether they figure that will lead to the old problem of Lib Dems and Greens reluctantly switching their tactical votes to Labour to keep a Kipper out?

• Like 1

I mean, Lib Dems took a council seat in fucking SUNDERLAND of all places last night, Labour have managed to manoeuvre themselves into a place where they're being picked off on both sides and have no weapons to deal with it. It's like an old shoot-em-up video game and they're the end-of-level boss just shedding body parts all over the place.

Who knew Scotland 2015 was possibly going to wind up being a trailer for the next UK General election?

I mean, Lib Dems took a council seat in fucking SUNDERLAND of all places last night, Labour have managed to manoeuvre themselves into a place where they're being picked off on both sides and have no weapons to deal with it. It's like an old shoot-em-up video game and they're the end-of-level boss just shedding body parts all over the place.

They're replacing a Labour candidate who hadn't been to a meeting for six months. http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-region/sunderland/sunderland-councillor-loses-seat-after-failing-to-attend-a-single-meeting-for-six-months-1-8259792.

There was a turn out of 28.6% in the May 2016 council election; reduced to 23.8% last night.

Hardly going to start a revolution...

Wonder if they'll put in one of their big guns (maybe even Nuttall himself?) for the seat, or whether they figure that will lead to the old problem of Lib Dems and Greens reluctantly switching their tactical votes to Labour to keep a Kipper out?

Paul Nuttall should stand and lead by example. This is make or break for UKIP IMO they don't win this they might be in trouble its an open goal for UKIP.

They're replacing a Labour candidate who hadn't been to a meeting for six months. http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-region/sunderland/sunderland-councillor-loses-seat-after-failing-to-attend-a-single-meeting-for-six-months-1-8259792.

There was a turn out of 28.6% in the May 2016 council election; reduced to 23.8% last night.

Hardly going to start a revolution...

I know that but this is Sunderland, they don't count Labour votes there they weigh them.

Wanted to link to some old post of mine where I said the Lib Dems would be on the rise again soon after the 2015 election, but can't find any, so no assumed smugness here.

Just imagine how well the Lib Dems might do with a leader, though.

I remember reading somewhere last year that one of the potential plans by the blairite MPs to get rid of Corbyn was for them to constantly trigger by elections and put pressure on corbyn . Labour will lose Copeland and think there is a good chance they will lose Hunt's seat too. After that will Corbyns position become untenable?

In 2015 election stoke central (Hunt's seat) 45% voted either UKIP or Conservative 39% labour but the corbyn effect will mean labour losing a good chunk of that to ukip and lib dems. UKIP got 23% percent they take 5 to 7% off labour and hold their votes from 2015 UKIP have a serious chance of winning this!

I don`t think anything can get rid of Corbyn before 2020.I was talking about the morale of Labour MP`s with a Tory MP who was attending the same function as me a few months back.Although he is of course biased he gave a good theory about Labour MP`s.He said his Labour friends who are centrists were despairing at the sense of the Labour Party and were considering leaving as none believed they had a chance of getting into power for the next two or three terms and the young bright ones are considering a different career where they would have a better chance of climbing the career ladder at their professional prime.Was skeptical when he said this to me but it certainly seems to be proving truthful.I can see a few more going if/when Labour loses one of these by-elections.There if Utilizer is correct is likely to be a by-election in Gerald Kaufman`s seat which although is a safe seat is likely to expose deep divisions within the constituency party (well those that haven`t been expelled yet anyway).

I do think this is an existential crisis for Labour and the Brexit debate emphasized the massive divisions they face.If they back a soft Brexit then they will lose seats in Wales and the North to UKIP and maybe even the rogue Tory seat takeover.If they back a hard Brexit they risk losing a substantial number of seats in the south to the Liberal Democrats.That is not even considering their obliteration in Scotland where they are now third place and falling in the polls.And the boundary changes if they go through could cause a new trench warfare between Labour MP`s and members.

• Like 1

According to The Daily Telegraph, there's still a few to come yet.

Other journalists are also saying they think more will follow.I would say the odds are high.I wonder how many it would take for Corbyn to say sod it and throw in the towel.

According to The Daily Telegraph, there's still a few to come yet.

Other journalists are also saying they think more will follow.I would say the odds are high.I wonder how many it would take for Corbyn to say sod it and throw in the towel.

The entire party.