maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm difficult to beat sometimes....:lol:

You bastard. A new poster, probably a nice guy, does his best, and you with your 7k posts,  just type faster? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

You bastard. A new poster, probably a nice guy, does his best, and you with your 7k posts,  just type faster? 

Well, it's not my fault there's nowt on the telly, forces me on to Twitter and here of a Friday night.

I was really only passing time until the Hare's Pool update due later.

I'm an awful person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ian Rankin reports the death of author Philip Kerr at 62:

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Kerr

Kerr's 1992 novel "A Philosophical Investigation" was given away free with a 1996 copy of Esquire with Gillian Anderson on the cover, the first men's magazine I ever bought.

Little backhistory on me for you there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Dead

Have been loooking for a UK obit, but none so far. Between her and Cynthia Heimel, is there a pattern?

Shreve was a hit for my home DP.  Yay SirC.

Bitter, but the year is long...

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Bitter, but the year is long...

FTR I checked all the Lost entries year to date this morning.  Not that I am the end all -- but I did come up empty.

SC

On 10/04/2018 at 22:46, gcreptile said:

New book out by J.R.R. Tolkien - also edited by son Christopher, now 93:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/apr/10/the-fall-of-gondolin-new-jrr-tolkien-book-to-be-published-in-2018

Put it this way - where the aged Tolkein's are concerned there are not likely to be problems affording medical care (even if the NHS write them off)

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Put it this way - where the aged Tolkein's are concerned there are not likely to be problems affording medical care (even if the NHS write them off)

To be fair. I think Christopher has made more money out of his father's literary legacy than the dear old Prof. did during his lifetime.

14 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

To be fair. I think Christopher has made more money out of his father's literary legacy than the dear old Prof. did during his lifetime.

Aye - bear in mind that copyright law in the EU changed in 1996; leaving works across the whole community in copyright for 70 years after the death of the author plus the remainder of the calendar year in which that author died on 2 September 1973

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye - bear in mind that copyright law in the EU changed in 1996; leaving works across the whole community in copyright for 70 years after the death of the author plus the remainder of the calendar year in which that author died on 2 September 1973

I also might be being harsh on Christopher as he is not the sole beneficiary of the estate but he is the literary guardian of his father's works. A bit concerned what will happen when Christopher dies. Will there be a Tolkien free for all as the extended family try to make as much money as possible. Contrast Christopher with say Brian Herbert and it looks a lot more respectful. 

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I also might be being harsh on Christopher as he is not the sole beneficiary of the estate but he is the literary guardian of his father's works. A bit concerned what will happen when Christopher dies. Will there be a Tolkien free for all as the extended family try to make as much money as possible. Contrast Christopher with say Brian Herbert and it looks a lot more respectful. 

Remember that Tolkien himself sold the film rights to LOTR and The Hobbit back in the 60s, so they weren't in on that bonanza.   The TV rights have recently been sold and the Tolkien Estate retain an interest in that.

Although Christopher himself really hates adaptations. He's blocked adaptations of everything that isn't the Hobbit or LOTR trilogy for 40 odd years.

Incidentally, the books alone have sold around the same amount as Roald Dahl (ie 200-300 million copies estimated), and much of that will be since 1973, so Christopher wont be short of a penny, even without the film money.

On 1.5.2018 at 01:41, gcreptile said:

Hong Kong poet and Liu Xiaobo associate Meng Ling has terminal lung cancer:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/2143965/hong-kong-poet-and-supporter-late-dissident-liu-xiaobo

Question of days.... 

Liu Xiaobo's widow "ready to die" as well:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43985629

Not exactly the right thread but I wanted to document the trail of destruction.

Maybe illustrators need a thread, seeing as they're posted across no less than 3 threads presently (authors, cartoonists, art).  

Since this one authored books for children later in her career, here she shall reside.

Alice Provensen, who illustrated and often wrote books for children for more than a half-century, helping young readers learn about animals and aviators, poems and presidents, Aesop’s fables and Chinese legends, died on April 23 in San Clemente, Calif. She was 99.  For almost 40 years, Ms. Provensen formed half of an illustrating team that was famous in the world of children’s books. Her husband, Martin, was the other half. Together they illustrated dozens of books for young and very young readers, beginning in the 1940s, and as their careers advanced they wrote many as well.
SC

Joan Chase, an author whose first book was published when she was 46 and attracted awards and accolades, died on April 17 at a nursing home in Needham, Mass. She was 81.

Her husband, Alexander Solomita (I assume the director), confirmed the death. He said she had Parkinson’s disease and Lewy Body disease.

Ms. Chase’s first novel, “During the Reign of the Queen of Persia” (1983), inspired a chorus of positive reviews, earned a spot on the New York Times Book Review’s list of the top books of the year and won the Ernest Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award.

SC

Prolific alien enthusiast Brad Steiger is gravely ill, according to friend and fellow author Loren Coleman:

"My good friend writer Brad Steiger, 82, is declining rapidly in hospice. After 170+ books, mostly on the paranormal, his next adventure will be on the Other Side."  :skull: