Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Lol. You got the throwback to Nazi Germany in there so kudos. You can’t set a doomsday forecast without throwing good ole Adolf in. Seriously take a look at yourself. Storm in a teacup man. It won’t even be news in a few weeks and in a few months this MAGA stuff will disintegrate. Let’s revisit this post then.

I would advise many of the members on this forum to stop watch rolling news, particularly during lockdowns. It’s not only  bad for your mental health but it gives you a distorted reality of how the world is actually functioning on a day to day basis by pulling the bad 1% under focus. 

These protests/riots are nothing. Alas people have very short term memories. I studied U.S. politics at uni. Off the top of my head I could name you hundreds of occasions when there were riots, protests, shootings, terrorism attacks, bombings, assassination attempts and the doomsday prophecies coming from the media were pretty much on par with what is being said on social media today. The truth is there has always been turmoil of some kind in the States. It’s a huge country with hundreds of millions of people, many with big differences. We’ve been here before. We’ll be here again. Storm in a teacup. It’s a very resilient country with a strong democracy and strong institutions. It will bounce back.

Don't insult my intelligence. I've got two degrees myself, one in History and Politics and an M.A. in History. I don't throw my education around, it's not necessary to do so. I'm perfectly aware of Godwin's Law and assumed that would be the thing to pick up on. I do not expect American democracy to crumble overnight, but if you think everything is tickety-boo with US institutions at this moment in time, then I would suggest you look a bit closer. Public trust in their institutions is at an all-time low, misinformation is rampant. The divide between left and right has been larger before but the animosity and distrust that both sides feel towards each other is worse than it's been in years - remember in other significant crises like Watergate, even the majority of Republicans believed Nixon was guilty. The partisanship that emerged in the 90s with Clinton and Gingrich has been ramped up by perceived, or real, injustices, particularly since the 2008 financial crash. In 2008, Obama was elected and Palin was unleashed onto the national stage. In 2010, the Tea Party became a political force. By 2012, Birtherism was a thing, despite Obama releasing his entire birth certificate. In 2016, Trump won the Republican nomination and then the presidency. In 2020, Trump supporters refuse to accept the result of the election and storm the Capitol Building. Trump isn't disappearing any time soon. Is that not a pattern? He'll have plenty to say post-presidency, whether that's with his TV Network or wherever. His supporters won't disappear, because this isn't just about Trump. It's about QAnon, it's about anti-vaxxers and coronavirus. It's about all these myriad of reasons why people feel violated or disenfranchised.

You're right, the United States will most likely survive. It is a 'very resilient country with a strong democracy and strong institutions'. But it still had to fight a Civil War 150 years ago (the flag of the secessionists made it into the Capitol Building for the first time in history today). It also survived the 1960s, but not without the death of a President, a frontrunning candidate and 2 iconic civil rights leaders. I wouldn't consider that a particularly stable democracy. I sincerely hope that this is the watershed. The dying of the light. The point where those who have been ambivalent about Trump and his antics draw the line and say 'no more'. But the fact it got to this point is itself damning. I wish I could just laugh it off and dismiss it as you do. But haven't we laughed off enough in the past decade plus and ended up at this point?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Don't insult my intelligence. I've got two degrees myself, one in History and Politics and an M.A. in History. I don't throw my education around, it's not necessary to do so. I'm perfectly aware of Godwin's Law and assumed that would be the thing to pick up on. I do not expect American democracy to crumble overnight, but if you think everything is tickety-boo with US institutions at this moment in time, then I would suggest you look a bit closer. Public trust in their institutions is at an all-time low, misinformation is rampant. The divide between left and right has been larger before but the animosity and distrust that both sides feel towards each other is worse than it's been in years - remember in other significant crises like Watergate, even the majority of Republicans believed Nixon was guilty. The partisanship that emerged in the 90s with Clinton and Gingrich has been ramped up by perceived, or real, injustices, particularly since the 2008 financial crash. In 2008, Obama was elected and Palin was unleashed onto the national stage. In 2010, the Tea Party became a political force. By 2012, Birtherism was a thing, despite Obama releasing his entire birth certificate. In 2016, Trump won the Republican nomination and then the presidency. In 2020, Trump supporters refuse to accept the result of the election and storm the Capitol Building. Trump isn't disappearing any time soon. Is that not a pattern? He'll have plenty to say post-presidency, whether that's with his TV Network or wherever. His supporters won't disappear, because this isn't just about Trump. It's about QAnon, it's about anti-vaxxers and coronavirus. It's about all these myriad of reasons why people feel violated or disenfranchised.

You're right, the United States will most likely survive. It is a 'very resilient country with a strong democracy and strong institutions'. But it still had to fight a Civil War 150 years ago (the flag of the secessionists made it into the Capitol Building for the first time in history today). It also survived the 1960s, but not without the death of a President, a frontrunning candidate and 2 iconic civil rights leaders. I wouldn't consider that a particularly stable democracy. I sincerely hope that this is the watershed. The dying of the light. The point where those who have been ambivalent about Trump and his antics draw the line and say 'no more'. But the fact it got to this point is itself damning. I wish I could just laugh it off and dismiss it as you do. But haven't we laughed off enough in the past decade plus and ended up at this point?

I agree :mellow:

Video circulating on the Interwebs about the woman getting shot. She tried to crawl through a window, agents/officers yelled at the protesters to back off, she ignored it and got shot (and by the look of her face), killed. 

Very graphic video but a "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"-situation.

Also, an early 20 something male is seriously injured after falling 10 metres off a Capitol scaffolding. Again, dumb, dumb game.

if armed rioters braking into the U.S. capitol and chanting to murder the vice president can easily be dismissed as “news just being sensationalist”, I’m (legit) curious how far this would need to go to get him/her to stop and say “hold up, this doesn’t seem right”.

I don’t know, something just doesn’t smell right. It seemed so staged. The police knew they’re be angry Reptards protesting at the capital. And there was no police? 

My theory is the politicians told the police to let them in to make Trump and his supporters look bad. 

EDIT: No, I’m not a Trump supporter. Fuck him

Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have suspended Trump's accounts

4 hours ago, DeathClock said:

My theory is the politicians told the police to let them in to make Trump and his supporters look bad.

This kind of argument always seems bad to me. If you don't want to look bad - then just don't do it? 

They are clearly no more than some random twats. The problem is there could be millions of random twats in the US and one of them is even president, so thath starts to be dangerous.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Phantom said:

Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have suspended Trump's accounts

It damn well better be permanent- twitter have enabled this crook for the last 5 years.The twitter CEO   should maybe be charged with aiding and abetting a coup attempt along with Trump and his supporters ! 

By the way if you still support Donald Trump and what he stands for after this you're either a crook or a mad person ! 

I've no doubt of a 'bounce back', especially once that utter tit is out of office (even if it doesn't silence him), nor that this is the first blip they've ever had, clearly it isn't.

However, this one is different enough to at least put a pretty big dent in their practice of preaching democracy to the rest of the world for a while. At least you might have thought so.

Out of interest in exactly how democratic the world is today, I dredged up this.

DemocracyUpdate_map.thumb.png.77cd44f4eb973bec9fe9cfbd372cf352.png

The fear is that now that Trumps coup attempt has failed he might strike out in other ways.He's a m ad wounded beast right now, esp if h is twitter account is permanently suspended today. There is talk he could order a strike on Iranian nuclear facilities for example,possibly using tactical nukes.Would the US military go along with such an order? The world is in for a scary 2 weeks  that's for sure ! 

BREAKING-Donald Trump has just finally conceded defeat and pledged an orderly transfer of power to Joe Biden.following US Congress certifying Biden as the winner. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/07/congress-riots-senate-georgia-result-donald-trump-capitol-latest/

3 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

The fear is that now that Trumps coup attempt has failed he might strike out in other ways.He's a m ad wounded beast right now, esp if h is twitter account is permanently suspended today. There is talk he could order a strike on Iranian nuclear facilities for example,possibly using tactical nukes.Would the US military go along with such an order? The world is in for a scary 2 weeks  that's for sure ! 

BREAKING-Donald Trump has just finally conceded defeat and pledged an orderly transfer of power to Joe Biden.following US Congress certifying Biden as the winner. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/07/congress-riots-senate-georgia-result-donald-trump-capitol-latest/

25 amendment being considered (i.e. removing Trump on the grounds of his incapacity for office) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55571964

Ironically, signed off as a nut-job by his political colleagues might be a bonus for him if he faces criminal charges once he's tipped out.

4 hours ago, En Passant said:

I've no doubt of a 'bounce back', especially once that utter tit is out of office (even if it doesn't silence him), nor that this is the first blip they've ever had, clearly it isn't.

However, this one is different enough to at least put a pretty big dent in their practice of preaching democracy to the rest of the world for a while. At least you might have thought so.

Out of interest in exactly how democratic the world is today, I dredged up this.

DemocracyUpdate_map.thumb.png.77cd44f4eb973bec9fe9cfbd372cf352.png

Why is it "no-data"-ing Greenland? It's a devolved constitutional monarchy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I wondered the same thing, so I emailed The Pew Research Center asking about it and they have in fact just replied. 

"We are an American institution (that's why we can't spell center) and Donald Trump just bought Greenland (technically, the transaction is still in process), therefore its current status as an independent state is irrelevant going forward. Also, the blue felt-tip ran out".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Windsor said:

I predict a riot in DC tonight.

He predicted it folks

6 minutes ago, xXConmanXx said:

He predicted it folks

I felt it was about time I predicted something correctly on this forum...

Anyway, how’s you? Hows the weather in St Petersburg?

35 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Was Trump not planning to annex it in 2017? Maybe the map makers were hedging their bets. :-)

11 hours ago, DeathClock said:

I don’t know, something just doesn’t smell right. It seemed so staged. The police knew they’re be angry Reptards protesting at the capital. And there was no police? 

EDIT: No, I’m not a Trump supporter. Fuck him

They broke through 4 lines of police .

• Like 1

This might be a bit problematic... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

This might be a bit problematic... 

That last one seems spurious.  56% of ALL voters believe Trump's claims of election fraud?  Come on.  That makes me doubt all those figures.

Just now, Toast said:

That last one seems spurious.  56% of ALL voters believe there was election fraud?  Come on.  That makes me not believe in any of those figures.

I think you misread that. The last line is the percentage of those who believe in election fraud that supported the attacks on the capital yesterday, not the percentage of those who believe in the election fraud itself. 

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think you misread that. The last line is the percentage of those who believe in election fraud that supported the attacks on the capital yesterday, not the percentage of those who believe in the election fraud itself. 

"Voters who believe enough fraud took place at the presidential election to change the outcome"

No mention there of people who supported the attacks.  If that was the pool, I would expect it to be nearer 100%.

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

I felt it was about time I predicted something correctly on this forum...

Anyway, how’s you? Hows the weather in St Petersburg?

in florida or russia?

Those who say the police just let them through I give you a few videos