Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Hatter

Thoughts On The 2016 List

It is only May and we have a lot of low hanging fruit.I don`t think any names on the list are bad picks really.

It is not a record-breaking list anyway. It can rely on Havelange, Lamotta, maybe Ali... and then? Zsa Zsa proved to be immortal as well as Fidel. Gall, Noakes, Mary Tyler Moore, Piggott, Gascoigne are wasted spots... If they only put Howard Marks or Jenny Diski in it would have been less spectacular, but probably record-breaking.

Howard Marks is a huge miss yes but Diski was probably not famous enough.Gascoigne is clearly off his tits again judging by his twitter feed and looks like death.Moore is apparently bedridden senile and blind and John Noakes has advanced Alzheimer`s.None are dead certs but all are decent enough picks in my view.

Diski got a big obit from the New York Times. Can't say the same for Michelwhoevermore or Crowe.

Anyways, my prediction now is that we'll really slow down in pace and get about 10.

2 of the old, frequent picks (Bush, Havelange).

2 randoms.

1 of the terminally ill (hopefully finally James).

But Marks was a counterculture figure whose exploits where known across Britain and further whereas Diski was although a brilliant writer not a household name.Unless you were a literature buff you would most probably not have heard of her outside deadpooling:P x

• Like 1

It is only May and we have a lot of low hanging fruit.I don`t think any names on the list are bad picks really.

It is not a record-breaking list anyway. It can rely on Havelange, Lamotta, maybe Ali... and then? Zsa Zsa proved to be immortal as well as Fidel. Gall, Noakes, Mary Tyler Moore, Piggott, Gascoigne are wasted spots... If they only put Howard Marks or Jenny Diski in it would have been less spectacular, but probably record-breaking.

Howard Marks is a huge miss yes but Diski was probably not famous enough.Gascoigne is clearly off his tits again judging by his twitter feed and looks like death.Moore is apparently bedridden senile and blind and John Noakes has advanced Alzheimer`s.None are dead certs but all are decent enough picks in my view.

Diski got a big obit from the New York Times. Can't say the same for Michelwhoevermore or Crowe.

Anyways, my prediction now is that we'll really slow down in pace and get about 10.

2 randoms.

But Marks was a counterculture figure whose exploits where known across Britain and further whereas Diski was although a brilliant writer not a household name.Unless you were a literature buff you would most probably not have heard of her outside deadpooling:P x

I am a Literature buff and I hadn't heard of her outside of deadpooling circles.

Yeah, judging fame is always a tricky thing to do, but I doubt under any possible metric could you call Jenny Diski more famous than Howard Marks.

2 randoms.

Agree. At least 5 more deaths

3 birthdays on the DL today? I'd rather prefer 3 deaths on the DL today...

• Like 1

It's also Sumner Redstone's birthday, and Yasuhiro Nakasone's birthday...lots of popular picks in fact.

And it would have been my late mother's birthday....

We are on target now for about 12 deaths maybe 13 if we get lucky. Are the prospects of a record breaking year ebbing away.

We are on target now for about 12 deaths maybe 13 if we get lucky. Are the prospects of a record breaking year ebbing away.

I blame the BBC, they jinxed us.

• Like 1

We have now been waiting longer for a hit than any time in 2015.

At this point my guess would be 10-12.

We have now been waiting longer for a hit than any time in 2015.

At this point my guess would be 10-12.

10th December for the next one.............?! Wow!

• Like 3

I said it was not a record breaking list. However, it can still score some hits in June, considering last year there were four hits in June, and only for from January to May.

Still nothing.

I'm expecting at some point we will not only have a double day but a triple.

As in 2002? Possibly. As I keep saying, there's a logjam at the top of the list and the thing with logjams is, when they break, it tends to be sudden. See how quickly the logjam of notable long term residents went at the start of the century.

• Like 1

Quadruple day, June 18. Book it.

Quadruple day, June 18. Book it.

I say only one hit in June, one in July, zero in August, two in September, one in October, zero in November and one in December, for a total of 11 hits (good failure).

I predict June will be the best month ever ! (fingers crossed)

Next month: I predict July will be the best month ever! (fingers crossed)

End of July: I predict August will be the best month ever! (ate all his fingers)

End of August: I don't believe it. I don't believe anything, I just want to die.

September: Best month ever, but I'm dead.

Next month: I predict July will be the best month ever! (fingers crossed)

End of July: I predict August will be the best month ever! (ate all his fingers)

End of August: I don't believe it. I don't believe anything, I just want to die.

September: Best month ever, but I'm dead.

lmfao wtf?

I predict that all this predicting is vomit inducing. Who's first?

If we have a hit before 12th June then we are still ahead of every year except 2008 which had already reached 9 hits by now.

However this time last year we were in a 42 period where we had six deaths (one a week).

However the early promise of this year seems to be fading.

We seriously need another death folks firstly to stop people talking about the referendum result but also we have not fallen behind 2015 and a close to falling behind 2003 & 2013.

Any suggestions?

We are now two deaths behind 2003 & 2013. Three behind 2015 & five behind 2008. Still ahead of mediocre year 2014. Someone on that list has to be looking a bit grim

• Like 1

We are now two deaths behind 2003 & 2013. Three behind 2015 & five behind 2008. Still ahead of mediocre year 2014. Someone on that list has to be looking a bit grim

I predict Clive James will be gone by October