Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

8 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Did well to make it this far as it seemed he had various major health issues in the 1990’s. 

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Brazilian Colombo Machado Sales, former Governor of the Santa Carina State, has died aged 97.

Probably the earliest surviving state governor ?

The oldest ex-governor I found still alive was José Ornellas, who governed the state of the Federal District between the ages of 82 and 85, born on November 30, 21 (there was news of his 100th birthday, so I believe his death will be reported )
I have not found anything that confirms that Antônio Ferreira Ruppel is alive, he was born on March 3, 1921 and only temporarily governed the state of Paraná between November 17 and 20, 1965.
We have two governors who governed in the 60s, Paulo Pimentel, who governed Paraná between 66 and 71 (born on August 7, 1928) and José Sarney, who was governor of Maranhão between 66 and 70 (born on April 24, 1928). 1928). 1930), that is, if Ruppel really is dead

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 17:56, Ulitzer95 said:

Would be interested to see a list of the oldest U.S. ambassadors.

Oldest ones I'm aware of (with wiki pages):

*snip*
Joseph Bernard Gildenhorn (wiki) b. Sep 1929 – Switzerland and Liechtenstein
*snip*

Joseph Bernard Gildenhorn (wikidead at 94.

George H. W. Bush era diplomat.

• Like 3

On 13/06/2017 at 23:28, YoungWillz said:

*snip*

Peter Rost, 89 (19 Sep 1930), Conservative (South East Derbyshire 1970-84, Erewash 1983-92)

*snip*

Peter Rost (wiki) died on 8 September 2022, aged 91.

Despite being a prominent MP, it was unreported at the time so no obits but I see his Who's Who profile and his page on the UK Parl website have now been updated.

MP for 22 years from 1970 to 1992. Rost was originally from Berlin. His parents were in a mixed marriage (Jewish/Lutheran) and they were smart enough to leave by 1937, fleeing to the UK.

1951558-front.jpg.8a03e7b40405a731c48aa47e467b25e2.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Peter Rost (wiki) died on 8 September 2022, aged 91.

Despite being a prominent MP, it was unreported at the time so no obits but I see his Who's Who profile and his page on the UK Parl website have now been updated.

MP for 22 years from 1970 to 1992. Rost was originally from Berlin. His parents were in a mixed marriage (Jewish/Lutheran) and they were smart enough to leave by 1937, fleeing to the UK.

1951558-front.jpg.8a03e7b40405a731c48aa47e467b25e2.jpg

I wonder if dying on the same day as the Queen contributed to no obits at the time. Must be the longest serving MP in the last few decades to not even get a local obit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if dying on the same day as the Queen contributed to no obits at the time. Must be the longest serving MP in the last few decades to not even get a local obit.

Died in France also: https://deces.matchid.io/id/SMEkj2RQtvZB.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 13:34, arghton said:

Following the deaths of Zhirinovsky and Vadim Bakatin, three main candidates in the 1991 Russian presidential election remain:

Nikolai Ryzhkov, 92: Former Head of Government of the Soviet Union. Suffered a serious heart attack in December 1990, obese but still very active in politics and an incumbent senator.

Albert Makashov, 84: Antisemitic nationalist-communist. No idea how he's doing.

Aman Tuleyev, 78: Governor of Kemerovo 1996-2018. Obese and underwent a seemingly complicated surgery in 2017. 

Aman Tuleyev dead at 79.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2017 at 00:56, msc said:

So, my shortlist for next year should include Paul Watson the footballer, Paul Watson the other footballer, Paul Watson the other other footballer, Paul Watson the cyclist, Paul Watson the internet personality, Paul Watson the documentary maker...

Fuck, there's part way to the stupidest theme team ever!

One of the Paul Watsons is dead now, the documentary maker:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/nov/20/pioneering-documentary-maker-and-father-of-reality-tv-paul-watson-dies-aged-81

(Wrong thread, but good reference)

• Like 1

On 24/02/2023 at 21:00, drol said:

Chavalit has been in hospital for two months after a stroke, he was on life support two weeks ago, still it seems he is on the mend.

Thai ancient politicos are overdue. Suchinda Kraprayoon, Anand Panyarachun, Thanin have been frail for years. Chuan Leekapai has been in and out of hospital for a while. Sirikit is a living zombie. And they keep going.

Anand Panyarachun... well, Anand Panyarachun's wife dead at 87.

Jerónimo Saavedra, who served as President of the Canary Islands from 1983 to 1987 and from 1991 to 1993 has died aged 87. Came out as gay in 2000 and was therefore the first openly gay Spaniard to hold several political roles. Obit (In Spanish). 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2023 at 18:42, Ulitzer95 said:

Bye bye Bibi.

Moshe Meron (wiki, b. March 1926) is now the oldest former member of the Knesset. Followed closely by billionaire Stef Wertheimer (wiki, b. July 1926).

Quite a drop from having about 4 centenarians last year...

Moshe Meron (wikidead at 97.

Former Deputy Speaker of the Knesset.

As mentioned in the post above, the oldest former Knesset member is now Stef Wertheimer (wiki), 97, who is notable in his own right as a billionaire businessman and philanthropist. The Wertheimers are the richest family in Israel so expect a QO when he goes.

• Like 7

On 09/06/2022 at 22:23, arghton said:

MEXICO (Up to 1930)

Luis Echeverría (1922-2022) President 1970-1976, hospitalised atleast twice with pneumonia at around 95. Wheelchairbound immortal with a long, long health history and in January no birthday celebration was held. Can't go on forever, can he?

Héctor Mayagoitia Domínguez (1923-2023) Ancient former Governor of Durango.

Ignacio López Tarso (1925-2023) Former politician much more known as an actor. Spine injury in his 20s, survived colon cancer in 2016 and pneumonia in 2022.

Julián Gascón Mercado (1925) Former Governor of Nayarit.

Francisco Luna Kan (1925) Governor of Yucatán 1976-1982, first person of pure Maya ancestry to govern Yucatán since the Spanish conquest.

José de la Herrán (1925-2022) Minor name.

Mexican politician Francisco Luna Kan, former Governor of Yucatán, dead at 97 following brief illness.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Another 2024 name drops too early. 

• Like 1

How likely is he to obit?  I mean while he had a very significant job and has been mentioned in Q/O sources before so habe others who end up missing out. 

17 minutes ago, msc said:

Another 2024 name drops too early. 

Sometimes enemas can cause leaks prematurely.  They don't adhere to a clean dividing line..!

Rodolfo Stange, last member of Pinochet's government junta, dead at 98.

EDIT: sadly two of them still alive apparently, Santiago Sinclair (1927) and Jorge Lucar (1934).

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, drol said:

Rodolfo Stange, last member of Pinochet's government junta, dead at 98.

Given the choice of double posting or informing, I’ve chosen the latter.

• Like 1