Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

20 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Should we be looking at for 2022?

Dunno heard this on the news this morning. That’s all they said 

On 18/07/2020 at 20:22, drol said:

A quick list of old Chinese politicos, one of the hardest thing to kill in this world.

1)Song Ping (1917): political leader of Gansu who rose to the Organization Department in the 80s. He was the one responsible for ending the careers of those who opposed Tien An Men repression. Due to his excellent work (and profound hatred for Zhao Zhiyang) he was promoted to the Politburo after the massacre. Considered very close to Hu JIntao. Widowed since last year.

2)Wan Haifeng (1920): one of the last founding fathers of PRC and commander of volounteers during the Korea war. Widowed since last year, increasingly frail, will be awarded a big honour later this year for his Korea service.

3)Zou Yu (1920): minister of Justice, he was hospitalized in a serious condition in 2017, but got discharged and made appearances as late as last September. Also known because his granddaughter is fine.

4)Zheng Tuobin (1924): former Minister of Trade whose retirement benefits are incredibly high.

5)Lin Jiamei (1924): wife of Li Xiannan and former First Lady. Was incredibly frail already in 2015.

6)Ren Jianxin (1925): president of the Supreme Court and successor of Zou Yu as Minister of Justice. Not heard so much nowadays.

7)Wang Hanbin (1925): old cadre behind the HK Basic Laws. Seen on a wheelchair back in 2016.

8)Wang Binqian (1925): former minister of Finance, living in an apartment paid by the government.

9)Jiang Zemin (1926): the human face of Chinese regime who would rise atop of the system from his Shangai political position and brought with him the infamous clique. Famous for his funny outburst and for looking like a toad, suffered a severe heart attack in 2012 and was longtime rumored dead. Doing well.

10)Zou Jiahua (1926): vice premier and Politburo member.

11)Wang Yeping (1928): missus of Jiang Zemin. Old but well and frequently appears in public.

12)Zhu Rongji (1928): progressist PM who believed in human rights. Recently made the headlines as he did not take part to the 70th PRC anniversary to protest against what is happening in Hong Kong.

13)Tian Jiyun (1929): former Vice-premier, rival of Jiang Zemin and protected by Zhao Zhiyang. Last appearance in 2018, but was fine. Considered a progressist who always poke fun at the hardliners.

14)Chi Haotian (1929): former Minister of Defence who was physically responsible of Tien An Men repression and showed great brutality. Somehow, still regarded as a national hero.

15)Hu Qili (1929): he paid his support to Tien An Men protest with his political career. Still, as a Politburo member, he opposed the martial law. Gravely ill in 2018, now bedridden and was visited last January by the Paramount Leader.

16)Peng Peiyun (1929): Wang Hanbin wife and Tibet human rights criminal

17)Han Zhijun (1930): widow of Hua Guofeng and never appears in public, as she didn't even when he was in power.

18)Yan Mingfu (1931): one of the very few high-ranking cadres who opposed martial law at Tien An Men and paid with his career (thanks, mr. Song). Suffering from a "long-term" illness which forces him on a wheelchair.

19)Song Jian (1931): legendary aerospace engineer and former minister of science.

20)Li Lanqing (1932): close friend of Li Ruihuan and former Vice-premier who focused on national education and steered clear from controversy.

21)Li Ruihuan (1934): definitely the good guy who had a direct contact with the people, even holding a radio broadcast in which he answered questions. Always seen as a moderate among hardliners.

22)Liu Zhongli (1934): former minister of Finance.

23)Cao Gangchuan (1935): minister of Defense, who was a relief after Chi Haotian.

24)Tang Jiaxuan (1938): former foreign minister.

While he was on a wheelchair in 2016, now Wang Hanbin is able to stand and walk unaided and visits Tsinghua University with his 92-year old wife, formerly internationally wanted for human rights abuse in Tibet.

NONE out of 24 has died in a year and a half. Ages ranging from 84 to 105. If this is not sorcery I don't know what it is.

Death Notice for Eric Cockeram, former Tory MP for Bebington and then Ludlow, aged 97, a Christmas Day fatality: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/254333/cockeram

Another Tory naughty boy - was it insider trading? Hmmm...

Anyway, another @msc was keeping an eye out for. Not a DDP Pick this year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Death Notice for Eric Cockeram, former Tory MP for Bebington and then Ludlow, aged 97, a Christmas Day fatality: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/254333/cockeram

A veteran of the D-Day landings and the third oldest-living former MP.

His death leaves just 3 living former MPs who served in WWII – Sir Patrick Duffy, Baroness Jill Knight and Ben Ford.

I know so little about their current state of health I’m not in a position to say who will be the last one standing. Not Duffy though.

• Like 4

On 19/12/2021 at 20:29, arghton said:

https://www.observerbd.com/news.php?id=344886

Khaleda Zia shifted out of CCU, "stable" but at the same time "deteriorating day by day":

The medical board sources said Khaleda Zia cannot swallow anything else except soup and fruit juices. Her food deficit in her body is being fulfilled by injecting saline.
Dr Zahid said possibility of Khaleda Zia's recovery from her severe illness through treatment is very low. Rather, her physical condition is being deteriorated day by day

Edit, Monday 20th: Critical, but "no improvement in condition"

https://www.newagebd.net/article/158711

Bangladesh newspapers reporting that Khaleda Zia's internal bleeding "increases" as she suffers from internal bleeding for the seventh or eighth time and has now been bleeding for two days. 

Come on Khaleda just hang on for another 20 hours or so.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Come on Khaleda just hang on for another 20 hours or so.

She will hang on for an awful lot....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, drol said:

She will hang on for an awful lot....

This is what I'm afraid of. I don't trust the Bangladeshi news, I think she's in bad condition (having been in hospital for over 120 days this year including on oxygen when she had covid and looking as pale as a corpse when being wheeled around) but if she was and is as sick as they report her to be, she would have died tens of times this year. 

Could go during the next hour or hang on for a few years. However Sheikh Hasina's comments ("What do they expect from us? We allowed her to stay home and she's being taken to hospital for treatment freely. Isn't it enough? Isn't it a great generosity?") and the party claiming that she was poisoned make it seem like she's very sick so I expect that she IS very sick this time. But they're probably still making her look sicker than what she is. 

Looking forward to seeing what happens next in this Bangladeshi soap opera though. 

Just now, arghton said:

This is what I'm afraid of. I don't trust the Bangladeshi news, I think she's in bad condition (having been in hospital for over 120 days this year including on oxygen when she had covid and looking as pale as a corpse when being wheeled around) but if she was and is as sick as they report her to be, she would have died tens of times this year. 

Could go during the next hour or hang on for a few years. However Sheikh Hasina's comments ("What do they expect from us? We allowed her to stay home and she's being taken to hospital for treatment freely. Isn't it enough? Isn't it a great generosity?") and the party claiming that she was poisoned make it seem like she's very sick so I expect that she IS very sick this time. But they're probably still making her look sicker than what she is. 

Looking forward to see what happens next in this Bangladeshi soap opera though. 

This is not the first time they've done this with Zia

On 12/10/2020 at 22:21, arghton said:

Only living Counselor of State of Finland (If we don't count another corpse Paavo Lipponen) Riitta Uosukainen (b. 1942) appeared on the Arto Nyberg tv talk show a couple of days ago. Talked about her husband, Topi, and his Alzheimer's disease and how she can "notice bad people from their facial features" or something like that. Talked a lot but most of it didn't make much sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riitta_Uosukainen

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/e279dd9a-0676-47bb-86d8-744d8b42b63c

Riitta Uosukainen's husband Topi Uosukainen dead at 81. Riitta suffered a heart attack a couple of months ago and seems to be in bad condition.

Riitta used to look (a bit) like QEII:

Riitta_Uosukainen.thumb.jpg.001236a45b28d307e2f1beac70071aad.jpg

10 hours ago, arghton said:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/e279dd9a-0676-47bb-86d8-744d8b42b63c

Riitta Uosukainen's husband Topi Uosukainen dead at 81. Riitta suffered a heart attack a couple of months ago and seems to be in bad condition.

Riitta used to look (a bit) like QEII:

Riitta_Uosukainen.thumb.jpg.001236a45b28d307e2f1beac70071aad.jpg

I don't know her name but I wonder if the british woman who made a living out of being a lookalike of QEII  is still alive?

21 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I don't know her name but I wonder if the british woman who made a living out of being a lookalike of QEII  is still alive?

Still down as alive on wiki anyway not that it means much necessarily 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Charles

Actually happend to look up her up on wiki last night out of curiosity after watching the Naked Gun

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Still down as alive on wiki anyway not that it means much necessarily 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Charles

Actually happend to look up her up on wiki last night out of curiosity after watching the Naked Gun

She's one of my selections, she'd better still be alive (at least as of Saturday morning)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Come on Goose... she only gets mentioned on this Forum about 6-8 times a year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could see her dying of Radar but she has had publicity in recent years and would be the type of death that gets a breaking news tweet from the Mirror.

On 28/12/2021 at 00:33, YoungWillz said:

This was a lucky dodge for all tbh.

Took him 9 days to get a QO from The Telegraph.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This was a lucky dodge for all tbh.

Took him 9 days to get a QO from The Telegraph.

That’s why I think the DDP should have a week or so grace period for late obits. I mean we were only five hours off having a late Obit on the main list. Imagine if the news of Betty White’s death broke at 7pm LA Time rather than 7pm UK time. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

That’s why I think the DDP should have a week or so grace period for late obits. I mean we were only five hours off having a late Obit on the main list. Imagine if the news of Betty White’s death broke at 7pm LA Time rather than 7pm UK time. 

I thought they did have a period of grace??

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I thought they did have a period of grace??

Only a few hours. Barely enough time for midnight to pass in LA.

On 30/12/2021 at 23:13, arghton said:

https://www.newagebd.net/article/158711

Bangladesh newspapers reporting that Khaleda Zia's internal bleeding "increases" as she suffers from internal bleeding for the seventh or eighth time and has now been bleeding for two days. 

https://www.newagebd.net/article/159041/index.php

Khaleda Zia undergoes surgery to stop some of the bleeding