themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

Oh, big news... well, it's been 7 years now, and those years were probably far more work than when Big Iain started it all. So, many tips of all my hats to Mr. Man In Black. You did a wonderful job. Of course, I have no doubts that Spade will run it well, he just has big shoes to fill. In a way, it's just one more step on Spade's course to become the world's "Mr. Deadpooling". Will there be a final title? I'm actually not so sure. But then, I could imagine him still winning it as a host - if he decided to make an effort.

Congratulations, Spade! All the best with the upcoming duty, and thank you for assuring the DDP will soldier on post-TMIB given how up in the air it was looking beforehand. The top job Blackie did as host can't be understated, his rest is more than well deserved.

• Like 4

Marvellous news!

Thank you once again to TMIB for all his sterling work bowing-girl-smiley-emoticon.gif

and woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gi for Spade !

• Like 1

One question, does that mean themaninblack will still compete (regular or theme team) in the DDP, or is he going to leave the DDP limelight for good? I'm absolutely ok with either decision he makes.

Walking in the footstep of giants, but I couldn't allow the DDP to gather rust. 

• Like 9

Now, are you retiring from competing Spade, are you competing in a lesser limelight, or still will be the same dominant giant you have been?

I'm not going to enter a DDP team while running the DDP. I'll probably submit a wrestling theme team as is tradition, but DQSP will not any titles in 2017. Of course, I'm still hungry for the gold so maybe we start grooming at 2018 show-runner now.

• Like 1

So, do we rally round and buy a retirement gift or summat?

Just noticed that the Advent Avalanche team I sent to TMIB is only two points behind DDT's team. That team is doing surprisingly well, I think it could be a top 30 placer in the end.

Hats off to TMIB. I am going to enter the DDP next year and it wouldn't be happening if TMIB wasn't such a good host and made the DDP a welcoming environment.

• Like 1

Some survivor analysis. I picked the top eight, minus Shameless (because fuck that for a game of soldiers - no offence, gcreptile) and a few other contenders. And myself, because ego.

Much the same as last year, behind the spoiler tags for length.

1.       Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi (Deceased Hose, Joey, DDT = Joker, PB

Rumoured to be dead last weekend, but arose to be on the run again. If he’s not dead by January 1st with half the world’s military drones hunting him down, I’m going to lose faith in the “imperial warmongers” ™  8/10

2.       Daisy Berkowitz (Gcreptile)

Has had Stage IV colon cancer for four years. Becoming part of the DDP furniture. 6/10

3.       Georgina Beyer (HN)

NZ politician suffering from renal failure, who had a kidney transplant in April. 5/10

4.       Nick Boles (Deceased Hose, Drol)

Claims to be in remission from head cancer. 4/10

5.       Tony Booth (40) TJS, Deceased Hose, SL, Joey

Said to have deteriorated even more in the last year. Add in potential tumours to stroke issues, emphysema, heart failure, etc. Memory entirely gone.  9/10

6.       Leah Bracknell (40) (Golden Slumbers, DQSP, TJS, TKABS, Deceased Hose, BoB, HN, SL, Drol = JOKER, DDT, PB, Gcreptile)

Terminal Stage IV lung cancer, plus new age mystic cures. 9.5/10

7.       Charles Bradley (DQSP, TJS)

Stomach cancer, but said to be under control, and is back on tour. 5/10

8.       Laurie Brokenshire (DQSP)

British navy commodore with terminal cancer. Still active, and said to be “looking well, considering” in May. 7/10

9.       Colin Butts (Deceased Hose, BoB, PB)

Pancreatic cancer, but has undergone a whipple like surgery and is said to be on the mend. 3/10

10.   Gay Byrne (TKAGS)

He’s 82, he’s got prostate cancer and is on chemo. However, iirc, chemo is only used for prostate cancer if condition is advanced or has spread to other parts? 7/10

11.   Susanne Cameron-Blackie – DDT UNIQUE

Dying, bed bound, and controversial enough to be a solid obit, especially after standing against Corbyn in the UK general election. She got 41 votes, btw. DDT knows why I’m kicking myself, here. 9.9/10

12.   Glen Campbell (40) (Deceased Hose, SL Joey, Drol, Gcreptile)

Still in the end stages of Alzheimers. His family released a Greatest Hits album called Adios. Doesn’t bode well for him welcoming in Hogmanay, does it? 9/10

13.   DJ Casper (Gcreptile)

Two forms of kidney cancer, renal cancer, and nero endocrine cancer, apparently. “Colon cancers which have spread to other parts of the body are harder to treat and have a poorer outlook” – you don’t say!  So the chap has cancer in his bowels, his kidneys, his lungs and pancreas? 9.5/10

14.   Patrick Cryne (Golden Slumbers)

Former football owner with terminal cancer. He’s 66.  Stage IV bowel cancer nonreacting to radiotherapy/chemo. 8/10.

15.   Mireille Darc (Drol)

Hard to say. You’d think she’d be dead by now if the haemorrhage was going to kill her, but then, sometimes folk linger, only to crumble. 6/10 on general fraility/health.

16.   Rick Davies (Joey)

Hehehehe. 2 lessons for next year, Joey.

1.  Don’t pick FFBI types as your joker – it’s unwise.
2. Be wary of kindly forum types suggesting random people will be a “cult DDP pick” in December.

Davies had aggressive multiple myeloma, but it’s in remission for now. 2/10

17.   Shannen Doherty (40) (Deceased Hose)

In remission, apparently. 2/10

18.   Gord Downie (40) (Golden Slumbers, DQSP, TJS, TKABS, Deceased Hose, BoB, HN, SL, Joey, Drol, DDT, PB = JOKER, Gcreptile

Reaching life expectancy for terminal glioblastoma. Still getting out and about last month. 9/10

19.   Rayya Elias (DQSP, DDT, TJS, PB, Gcreptile)

Got “married” to partner Elizabeth Gilbert, but looking frail, and has two of the most deadly cancers. 9/10

20.   Pete Frates (HN)

Next year is his 6th year of ALS – 9/10

21.   Bruce Forsyth (40) (Golden Slumbers, BoB)

Nice to see you… We’re never going to see Brucie again. I’ve no idea how long he’s got left, because we’re not going to see him. 8/10 on guess.

22.   Alberto Fujimori (SL)

He’s ill and he’s getting on trial for war crimes. The latter makes me wonder about the former. 5/10

23.   William H Gass (BoB)

Old novelist/academic. 4/10

24.   Greg Gilbert (DQSP, TKAGS, Joey, Drol, DDT, PB, Gcreptile)

Stage IV bowel cancer, spread to lungs. Experimental treatment wont work. 7/10

25.   Jerome Golmard (Golden Slumbers)

Diagnosed with MND in 2014. Bit early, though depends on strand, of course. 6/10

26.   Susan Gubar (Deceased Hose)

Academic with cancer. Apparently it spread last year and she was weary of treatment. 7/10

27.   Smith Hart (HN, SL, Drol)

In hospice care from metastatic prostate cancer. 9/10

28.   Kristin Hallenga (TKAGS)

She’s had cancer for years, is young, and is still active. 5/10

29.   Scott Hamilton (Drol)

Has a more treatable type of cancer, last I heard? 3/10

30.   Valerie Harper (40) (Deceased Hose)

Dying in slow motion. 7/10

31.   Anna Holmund (PB)

Breathing on her own again. 1/10

32.   Dmitri Hvorostovsky (Gcreptile)

Missing more and more public appearances. 7/10

33.   Emma Houlston (BoB, HN)

Terminally ill bride, apparently. Cheery. 8/10, but last news coverage here was October? So obit tricky.

34.   Clive James (40) (SL, DDT)

Looking like fucking hell now, but still getting along. I think the clock is starting to tick slowly though. 4/10

35.   Connie Johnson (Gcreptile)

Dying Australian legend. Well, I assume she’s a big name, as she’s got over 20 Daily Mail articles dedicated to her in the last year. 9/10

36.   Mao Kobayashi (SL – JOKER, Gcreptile)

Her cancer has spread, there’s only two questions. 2017 or 2018? Obit or not? 9/10

37.   Vincent Lambert (DDT)

Right to die case, which is notoriously tricky to determine. 5/10

38.   Sharon Laws (Gcreptile)

I thought this was a case for 2018, and her ability to undergo chemo and still cycle 60km per day speaks towards that one! Stage IV cervical cancer, metastatic. Treatment frequently delayed due to immune system issues. 5/10

39.   Heidi Loughlin (TKAGS, Joey)

Another cancer mum. Heaven wept. 8/10

40.   Craig MacGregor (Deaceased Hose, HN)

Now this is an interesting one. He sounded pretty much fucked in December, but I couldn’t decide on an obit. His suing a Reading hospital for misdiagnosis not even making the BBC doesn’t dissuade me of that one. Apparently he’s very unwell, but to know more would involve playing for the Reading Eagle, so feck that. 8/10

41.   Katherine MacGregor (BoB) UNIQUE

Old US actress. 2/10

42.   Colin Meads (40) (DQSP, TJS, BoB, HN, Joey, Drol, DDT

Pancreatic cancer and drinking bleach to cure it. 9.5/10

43.   King Michael (40) (Golden Slumbers, TJS, TKAGS, BoB, HN, SL, Drol

Stable but ill with leukemia. Will die, but then, so will everyone aged 96 at some point. 6/10

44.   Les Mutrie (DDT UNIQUE)

A likely death, but the obit’s the tricky thing. 7/10

45.   Catherine Nevin (Golden Slumbers, DQSP, TJS, PB, Gcreptile)

3 months to live in October. Able to attest a will in March. Hmm…. 2/10

46.   Steve Pollard (DDT UNIQUE)

Seriously ill, apparently. “A bit of bad health, but it’s not very good” said his son. Nice bit of British understatement for something there. 7/10

47.   Simon Ricketts (Golden Slumbers, TJS, TKAGS, HN, Joey, Drol, PB, Gcreptile)

1-2 years, and treatment successes so far suggest 2 years. 3/10 for 2017.

48.   Terri Roberts (BoB)

Oh this is that mum of the mass shooter. I thought she were dead already. Obits weak at this point in time. 3/10

49.   Rena Salmon (TKAGS)

Of the three jail cases – Salmon, Nevin, Aspin -  I think Salmon is the best pick, but not by much. Our entire evidence she Is terminally ill appears to be her own word. 4/10

50.   Jagraj Singh (DQSP)

Managed to deliver a short talk at Trafalgar Square last month, but quite ill with cancer. 7/10

51.   Valery Spiridonov (TKAGS, SL, DDT, Gcreptile)

Not getting that op anymore. Will likely die, but entirely off the radar now. 1/10

52.   Stefan Karl Stefansson (40) (DQSP, TJS, TKAGS, BoB, HN, Joey, PB, Gcreptile)

Said he was in remission from pancreatic cancer, only for cancer to be found in his liver. Doomed. Only question is this year or next. 9/10

53.   Nobby Stiles (40) (Deceased Hose)

Rather hanging on beyond those “gravely ill” reports.  6/10

54.   Paul Van Zandvliet (Golden Slumbers, TJS, BoB, SL, PB)

Radio silence. Matter of days, but has been for a month now. 9.5/10

So...

Adding those marked as getting a QO and dying as 8/10 or better, we do this to the scorelines:

1.       Thomas Jefferson Survives 171

2.       Golden Slumbers 170

3.       Still Life 168

4.       David Quantick’s Showbiz Pals 159

5.       To Kill a Gabor Sister 152

6.       Day in the Death 152

7.       Deceased Hose 150

8.       Bucket of Blood 149

9.       Heading Nowhere 149

10.   The Living End 147

11.   Pan Breed 142

12.   The Love Boat 139

13.   Drollercoaster 138

So I am still sticking with TJS as my favourite to win, though I am conservative on some of Spade's picks, despite history telling us that they are all actually doomed. Still Life's scoreline is dependent on a QO for their joker. In reality, if I am 31 points or less behind the leader on December 31st, I will gnash much teeth!

I'd say there's a 30 point swing either way in variable for most of the teams above.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

1.  Don’t pick FFBI types as your joker – it’s unwise.
2. Be wary of kindly forum types suggesting random people will be a “cult DDP pick” in December.

Ah, and that's two mistakes I hopefully won't make again, although if the FFBI was, say, Dr Kate Granger, then I wouldn't have as much of problem jokering them. I do wonder, if I didn't pick Aspin and Suisala and picked Van Zandvliet and Bracknell instead, and jokered Dr Mark Sims, wonder how well I would've scored with that team.

^ That'd add 33 points to your total, but that way lies madness...

• Like 1

I said those two cause they were my first two subs. Not because they're the most likely to die...

Round Up #15 (Theresa In The Wheat, Thatcher In The Rye Special)

Helen Fawkes: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/7817-journalists/?do=findComment&comment=311788 (Carried Over)

Awaiting Obit.

Gholamreza Pahlavi: From the List of the Lost

Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-gholamreza-pahlavi-obituary-208dmjxn0

Paul Van-Zandvliet: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/9127-maryports-midsummer-dead-pool-2017/?do=findComment&comment=312172

BBC Obit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40275163

• Like 1

With the death of Van-Zandvliet (mentioned above), Pan Breed moves back into the top 25.

Only 58 points behind Bert!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

With the death of Van-Zandvliet (mentioned above), Pan Breed moves back into the top 25.

Only 58 points behind Bert!

Actually, you don't, because The B-Team has him as well! :P

Edit: Wait! Sorry, it's still 25th place. 

Edit: No, actually I was even more wrong as it's shared 24th place.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Actually, you don't, because The B-Team has him as well! :P

B-team will be 22nd, Pan Breed 25th, as it stands - I jump over everyone before you AND New Year Drinks. You go level with DDT.

Cancel My Appointments

Bucket Of Blood

Pan Breed

P@F Deathlist

Golden Slumbers

The B-Team

Still Life

Thomas Jefferson Survives

Only folk with PVZ.

8 minutes ago, msc said:

B-team will be 22nd, Pan Breed 25th, as it stands - I jump over everyone before you AND New Year Drinks. You go level with DDT.

Cancel My Appointments

Bucket Of Blood

Pan Breed

P@F Deathlist

Golden Slumbers

The B-Team

Still Life

Only folk with PVZ.

Advent Avalanche will still be beating you though at the moment. Quite sad tbh.

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Advent Avalanche will still be beating you though. Quite sad tbh.

As a wise man once said, "wait till the Joker comes in". No, wait a moment, that was Batman...

Anyhow, never mind the AA, its been miles behind fucking Shameless which is most galling!

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Cancel My Appointments

Bucket Of Blood

Pan Breed

P@F Deathlist

Golden Slumbers

The B-Team

Still Life

Only folk with PVZ.

Nah, Van Zandvliet is worth 9 pts. You go from 62 to 71, level with Carkers Convention.

The B-Team goes from 68 to 77, level with The Living End. The Living End is currently 21st. Carkers Convention is currently 23rd but loses a place to The B-Team => 24th.

Edit: You probably posted just that, let me see...

4 minutes ago, msc said:

As a wise man once said, "wait till the Joker comes in". No, wait a moment, that was Batman...

Anyhow, never mind the AA, its been miles behind fucking Shameless which is most galling!

Cesar Romero, orange wedges...

22 hours ago, msc said:

Cancel My Appointments

Bucket Of Blood

Pan Breed

P@F Deathlist

Golden Slumbers

The B-Team

Still Life

Only folk with PVZ.

It is who is leading at the death (sorry!) that counts.

That'll be Spade, then!