Joey Russ

Ideas And Possibilities For 2018

another french thing : Johnny Halliday officially annonce he has cancer !

he tell us his "days aren't in danger" but cancer is cancer and rumors are lung based + metastasis to pancreas / liver & stomach...

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/03/08/97001-20170308FILWWW00389-johnny-halliday-annonce-etre-atteint-d-un-cancer.php

http://www.lexpress.fr/styles/vip/piratage-laura-smet-contrainte-de-dementir-la-mort-imminente-de-johnny-hallyday_1886250.html

6 minutes ago, viGnoS said:

he tell us his "days aren't in danger" but cancer is cancer and rumors are lung based + metastasis to pancreas / liver & stomach...

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2017/03/08/97001-20170308FILWWW00389-johnny-halliday-annonce-etre-atteint-d-un-cancer.php

http://www.lexpress.fr/styles/vip/piratage-laura-smet-contrainte-de-dementir-la-mort-imminente-de-johnny-hallyday_1886250.html

Wasnt he labelled the 'French Elvis Presley?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Wasnt he labelled the 'French Elvis Presley?

Yes even if his music has NOTHING TO DO with Elvis Presley's

Johnny Hallyday is one of most famous singers of France. He is nicknamed "La Taulier" which means "The Boss" in French. Some of my fellow French consider him as an idol. He is worshipped by many fans.

7 years ago, he was in a Los Angeles hospital and French news channels were breaking news because of his health. 

• Like 2

If he's still around in 2018 he'd be guaranteed to obit. He's been on The Ed Sullivan Show and opened up for The Jimi Hendrix Experience. That should at least get him a guardian obit, though I suspect he'll get one from the BBC.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, joeyruss said:

If he's still around in 2018 he'd be guaranteed to obit. He's been on The Ed Sullivan Show and opened up for The Jimi Hendrix Experience. That should at least get him a guardian obit, though I suspect he'll get one from the BBC.

LOL, someone's been reading Wikipedia.  Only you read it wrong -  Jimi opened for Johnny!

I cannot remember a time when I did not know of Johnny Hallyday.  I don't have any of his records though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImissMontpellier said:

He is nicknamed "La Taulier" which means "The Boss" in French.

More like the French Bruce Springsteen, then.

• Like 4

On 3/8/2017 at 15:57, viGnoS said:

Here's an article from The Guardian, so if they're reporting that he has cancer, chances are they'll also report it when he dies. 

• Like 1

I heard it on the BBC News Channel as well.

24 minutes ago, viGnoS said:

does this guy have any chance for an uk obit ??

Yes, as his brother is Sunny Hundal, a seemingly ever-present British journalist.

13 hours ago, msc said:

Yes, as his brother is Sunny Hundal, a seemingly ever-present British journalist.

Get in!

'bout time I started listing for 2018

13 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Get in!

'bout time I started listing for 2018

In fairness, I should say I got that Google-able info from Spade last month, and not from him being on my 2017 shortlist then binned early in December on obit worries.

It's the ones that slip through your fingers which annoy...

I don't think Singh's obit is such a certainty (maybe 60%). Hundal is now at The Independent, which doesn't count anymore. His last work for the Guardian was quite a while ago.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I don't think Singh's obit is such a certainty (maybe 60%). Hundal is now at The Independent, which doesn't count anymore. His last work for the Guardian was quite a while ago.

I could see the mail running an obit due to his death, but I think that's unlikely. Never say never though, I guess.

14 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I'd have it at 85% tbh, he was awarded a "Points of Light"... award last month which means that Theresa May (or one of her spads) is aware he exists on some level.

16 hours ago, msc said:

In fairness, I should say I got that Google-able info from Spade last month, and not from him being on my 2017 shortlist then binned early in December on obit worries.

It's the ones that slip through your fingers which annoy...

Unless they're drowning, anorexic and covered in lube!

In that case it's unavoidable so not worth beating yourself up for.

Heard a discussion on the radio this morning about Julie McDonnell

Terminally ill - apparently - but the varied online coverage which is mainly local doesn't always agree on this. Either way; the kind of case the Mail might pick up eventually.

http://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/let-the-bells-ring-out-for-julie-mcdonnell-and-her-ambitious-fundraising-endeavour-1-7354768

29 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Heard a discussion on the radio this morning about Julie McDonnell

Terminally ill - apparently - but the varied online coverage which is mainly local doesn't always agree on this. Either way; the kind of case the Mail might pick up eventually.

http://www.bexhillobserver.net/news/let-the-bells-ring-out-for-julie-mcdonnell-and-her-ambitious-fundraising-endeavour-1-7354768

That article's over a year old, but I think someone posted about her here quite recently.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

That article's over a year old, but I think someone posted about her here quite recently.

She was on the religious show on Radio Four this morning because Westminster Abbey hosted a peel of the bells in her honour.

Aha, here we are.

I noticed it because people love to use the word "campanologist" which always amuses me because it is a term very rarely used by bellringers themselves.  Unless they are being "ironic".  They mostly just refer to themselves as ringers.

On one occasion during her treatment, McDonnell rang 10 different peals in a day

Impossible!  A peal takes three hours to ring at a minimum.   Quarter peals, perhaps, but that's going some.  They probably mean she rang in ten different churches.

27 minutes ago, Toast said:

Aha, here we are.

I noticed it because people love to use the word "campanologist" which always amuses me because it is a term very rarely used by bellringers themselves.  Unless they are being "ironic".  They mostly just refer to themselves as ringers.

Impossible!  A peal takes three hours to ring at a minimum.   Quarter peals, perhaps, but that's going some.  They probably mean she rang in ten different churches.

So, eventually we can cash in the points and refer to her as a dead-ringer!

Re the Hume tribute on Mcguinness: Apparently I am very late to the news that John Hume has severe dementia (apparently not mentioned on this forum before), and a journalist pal tells me he is "not very well at all" these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Re the Hume tribute on Mcguinness: Apparently I am very late to the news that John Hume has severe dementia (apparently not mentioned on this forum before), and a journalist pal tells me he is "not very well at all" these days.

Now there's a man who deserves proper tribute when he passes away...