msc

The Deathlist Cup

5 hours ago, msc said:

Reminder

DDT or Rad Guy vs Deadsox or Spade

Heef or Grim v Death Impends or Gcreptile

Yeah... right ;).

Since I don't expect a flurry of relevant obits over the weekend, I congratulate Death Impends for his excellent team and wish the best of luck in the next round.

I'm almost sorry for that bad performance, because I think he put a bit of effort into it - which, in the end, wasn't necessary. Well, while I was a little unhappy with my team at point of submission, I still expected to do much better than I eventually did. 

• Like 1

Thanks gc, and aye - given your deadpooling record hereabouts including the previous Cup rounds, one had to cover all bases, so I feel a bit embarrassed myself to do such a steamrolling. Especially as I thought your team looked quite good on paper. Unlucky that Reid and Stros still haven't obited, on top of the lingering of the others.

I thought that'd be the tightest match of the round tbh. Still, these things can happen in a month, it says nothing about the quality of Gcreptile's deadpooling, just sods luck, really.

Well, it balances out over time, or competitions... like that obit for Jessica-Jayde Allen.

• Like 1

What I'm more surprised at is that Spade could potentially be out after this round. Seems very strange...

It's Spade - he gets a unique 3 pointer tomorrow and will any of us be surprised?

I've just remembered I need to politely chase folk up for the Semis tomorow, and do all the prep work. Still, with only 4 sides in the next round, it shouldn't take as much time now.

Famous last words...

It's Cup deadline day, again. How did that happen?

Three teams in, and I have sent reminders to 4 other teams still in with a chance.

Ah, yes, it will be an interesting night with the start of a new Deathlist Cup Round, as well as a new Windy City Deadpool Round!

I've noticed Deadsox hasn't been on in a couple of days... I hope he has his team in or pops in later to submit it. Wouldn't want him to ruin this (what appears to be, with 10 hours remaining) amazing accomplishment of defeating Spade. :unsure:

Anyways, looks like I've lost. A round filled with my reserves dying and not my actual picks. Can't believe Jupe and Van-Zan lasted this long, and with my luck, they'll both die tomorrow.

• Like 1

Sorry, forgot to post:

DDT (3) or Rad (1) vs Spade (2) or Deadsox (4)

Death Impends vs Heef (6) or Grim (6)

Teams in bold are in, so yeah, Deadsox has a team in.

• Like 2

My team's in now - I'd just sent it in with a message about it being a waste of time and then looked at forum and there was a post on the Michael of Romania thread - but not the news I was looking for.

So looks like I'm going to finish third out of the eight quarter finalists but unfortunately second out of two in the only bit that's important.

Anyhow I will keep chasing the death news until midnight in the vain hope of a last minute saviour. 

• Like 1

3 hours to go, there got to be a last minute twist for Spade...

Here's what my team would have been:

1) Aundrea Bannatyne 
2) George H. W. Bush
3) Susannah Cameron-Blackie
4) Patrick Cryne
5) Sonja Durham
6) Connie Johnson
7) Mao Kobayashi
8) Julia Perez
9) Jagraj Singh
10) Paul van-Zandvliet
11) Edwina Vorderman

Good luck in the next round, DDT!

Don't count your chickens quite yet, DDT's yet to put a team in. He does tend to leave it till late in the day though, but you can live in hope he gets called away to an important lamb all night still...

• Like 1

I'll get a team in at about 2359hrs as per normal. 

I'm seriously considering going for the Diana Rots/blatant stealing approach this time around....in fact I could just copy and paste Radguy's team and present it as my own ^_^

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

in fact I could just copy and paste Radguy's team and present it as my own ^_^

I'd be fine with that... as long as we merge and enter the semifinals as DevonadGuy.

Either way, wouldn't recommend it. I averaged 2 points/1.3 hits per round...

Well I stuck with it to the last but there was to be no last minute action.

Well played Heef :clap: - I think you've scored consistently well in all three rounds so deserve your place in the semis - good luck.

I think you're going to need it!:D

Also thany you msc - this has been really good fun and I look forward to trying to do better next year - I think my teams, on paper at least, have got better each round as I've learnt from my mistakes.

• Like 1

AND THE WINDOW SLAMS SHUT!

We have our Semifinalists. Commiserations to those who have crashed out, but congratulations to those in our Fab Four!

• Heef, the unheralded underdog cutting down seasoned deadpoolers in his wake.
  • Deadsox, behind one of the biggest deadpool shocks of the century.
  • Death Impends, who crushed one of the potential winners.
  • DDT, aka the Grim Reaper himself. Like a Brazil 1994, conserving his energy to this point.

Just give me a few mins to tot up DDT's team for the masterlist. He said he'd get it in, and true to form he did... a whole 65 seconds before the end of April! :D

• Like 3

Semifinal Masterlist

1.       Al-Baghdadi, Abu-Bakr – Deadsox, DDT

2.       Anglin, Delroy - Heef

3.       Bracknell, Leah – Deadsox, Heef

4.       Bush Sr, George – Heef

5.       Cameron-Blackie, Susanne - DDT

6.       Camm, Bess – Deadsox

7.       Christie, Errol – Deadsox, DDT

8.       Chingaira, Dickson – DI

9.       Dorie, Rosario – DI

10.   Doggart, Simon - DDT

11.   Downie, Gord – Heef, DDT

12.   Emeteole, Kelechi – Deadsox

13.   Goodwin, Vanessa - DDT

14.   Hagaman, Earl – DI

15.   Hodgkin, Stuart - DDT

16.   J0hns0n, C0nnie – Heef

17.   Klasnic, Ivan - Heef

18.   Letele, Vicki - Heef

19.   Meads, Colin - Deadsox

20.   Meredith, Roderick C – DI

21.   Merrill, Dina - Heef

22.   King Michael of Romania – DI, Deadsox, DDT

23.   Nevin, Catherine – DI, Deadsox, Heef, DDT

24.   Niederauer, George - DI

25.   Noriega, Manuel – DI, Heef

26.   Nuriddin, Jalal Mansur – DI

27.   Perez, Julia - DDT

28.   Purchase, Michelle – Deadsox

29.   Ricketts, Simon - Deadsox

30.   Sinks, Earl - DI

31.   Van Zandvliet, Paul – DI, Heef, DDT

32.   Vorderman - Deadsox

• Like 1

Semifinals

DDT vs Deadsox

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef

DDT (Perez J, Nevin, Al-Baghdadi, Downie, Hodgkin S, Michael, Doggart, Goodwin, Van Zandvliet, Cameron-Blackie, Christie)

Vs Deadsox (al-Baghdadi, Bracknell, B Camm, Christie, Emeteole, Meads, Michael, Nevin, Purchase, Ricketts, E Vorderman)

Death Impends (Van Zandvliet, Meredith, Nevin, Michael, Noriega, Hagaman, Niederauer, Nuriddin, Chingaira, Dorie, Sinks)

Vs Heef (Letele, Bracknell, Downie, J0hns0n, Anglin, Noriega, Nevin, Van Zandvliet, Bush Sr, Merrill, Klasnic)

Oh, and the final draw....LOL

DDT or Deadsox vs Death Impends or Heef!

• Like 4

Would have liked to spend more time on it, but all of my research this time around was compiled in Arthur's Pass village using some very shoddy rural wifi as the snows were sweeping in from the West Coast. Not ideal for in depth digging. I don't like copying picks from others, but when they sound like genuinely good picks, there's at least a bit of a blocking manoeuvre required from time to time.

Best of luck, and well played to GUN. Certainly went down to the wire... Now I just hope GUN's no-longer-required line-up doesn't do better than mine.

And looking at DI's line-up, I'd say I'm pretty screwed anyway, so I hope no one will mind that I've booked a five-week holiday starting about two weeks before the end of the round...

• Like 1

Fair play Deadsox, the better team won. Glad to see some of my players who didn't quite make it on the day enjoy a transfer-deadline switch to your lads though. Emetole I think is a gonner. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Fair play Deadsox, the better team won. Glad to see some of my players who didn't quite make it on the day enjoy a transfer-deadline switch to your lads though. Emetole I think is a gonner. 

Thanks for your good sportsmanship Spade.  I was lucky to win and thought that some of your players would be due.

Ah, deadsox, you've had an interesting Cup run to say the least: first round bye, second round goalless draw (I didn't even think that was possible!), and then in the Quarterfinals, beat the Don one on one.

Curious how the two semifinals are both Favourite v Underdog (no offence intended to either), yet, given their achievements so far, you can't write off anyone.

• Like 4

msc, I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 01:25, Heef said:

I don't like copying picks from others, but when they sound like genuinely good picks, there's at least a bit of a blocking manoeuvre required from time to time.

Best of luck, and well played to GUN. Certainly went down to the wire... Now I just hope GUN's no-longer-required line-up doesn't do better than mine.

I don't think it's practical to ignore all the other picks because if 3 or 4 of your team die every month then you have to go looking for new blood. Inevitably the most likely new candidates are those survivors on people's teams from the previous month, whether you identify them independently or by a trawl through the master list.

Here's my no-longer-required line-up which 'stole' Leo Cahill from GCR but I got him on a free transfer as GCR went out. I did consider just going for the survivors from GCR team for April plus 3 of my own but felt this would not feel like a victory for me if I won that way.

Paul van Zandvliet

Catherine Nevin

Anne Hamilton-Byrne

Julia Perez

Errol Christie

Michael of Romania

Leo Cahill

Leah Bracknell

Vanessa Goodwin

Patrick Cryne

Sonja Durham

• Like 2