maryportfuncity

Maryport's Midsummer Dead Pool 2017

Well, I'm certainly not gonna win anyway. It was the middle of the night when I made my choice, Connie Johnson, with no research. I just remembered that a month or two ago she decided to stop treatment, so figured she's got minimal time left. But I checked yesterday, and for now, she's still travelling and blogging. 

Hewlett Rule?

Looks like Chorizo will win then. 

1 minute ago, msc said:

Hewlett Rule?

Oh probably. Not complaining either way.

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Oh probably. Not complaining either way.

Yeah, unless there was knowledge Diane Torr was dead pre-June, and I don't think there was, as DI wouldn't have had her in his Deathlist Cup team.

Reading the Hewlett rule does this not only apply to in competition obits and their timing?

The rules don't seem to allow for a pre 1st June death being discovered after 1st June.

The only relevant rule seems to be that after 1st June you can't enter a name so I guess Spade may simply have been incredibly unlucky?

Anyhow as Mary is away for a couple of days he seems to have deserted the game at a crucial time :D

It's a confusing one... the first person to mention it on Facebook was a Sarah Sch*lman, a close friend of hers:

She says "today", which was posted at around 2am GMT on the 2nd but 10pm EST on the 1st. Is it possible she died on the 1st GMT but the 31st back in the timezone her website operates from? Then again, the Raymond H ruling also confuses things...

The Hewlett rule is for people believed alive at competition start but discovered dead before the start after. It's named after a chap whom Maryport and DDT had in the 2010 DDP, only for it to later be discovered he died in December 2009 ages later.

Far as I can see, this fits the rule to a T, but of course it would happen when MPFC is out having a life. :lol:

• Like 1

Weird, I also assumed that the Hewlett rule was about those "premature" deaths. But actually reading the rule, it sounds differently. Maybe someone of us travelled back in time and changed it. Probably the one with the most benefit. Which we will know soon.

Also something to argue about, does the pick need to be alive before June in local time or PST? Edit: Unnecessary for this case, as Torr died in Scotland. I previously thought she died in Canada.

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Looks like Chorizo will win then. 

The Campbell's have something planned for adious mark my words!

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Reading the Hewlett rule does this not only apply to in competition obits and their timing?

The rules don't seem to allow for a pre 1st June death being discovered after 1st June.

The only relevant rule seems to be that after 1st June you can't enter a name so I guess Spade may simply have been incredibly unlucky?

Anyhow as Mary is away for a couple of days he seems to have deserted the game at a crucial time :D

He just dropped in

I'm seeing the chat - let's call this a stewards enquiry; be with yers presently

Reet initially this looks like astute picking by Spade and whilst I'm not about to call it until we have solid evidence the details are pointing to a win. First off there is online evidence Ms Torr wheezed her way into June and pegged out in the early hours of yesterday. Sarah Shulman's post on FB was today and Wikipedia is dating Torr's death to yesterday. So no Maggie implicated paedo scum allowances are required. Despite the crushing disappointment to the 20 other competitors it looks like a stunning selection on that basis. I'm also minded to allow it on the grounds of artistic impression as well cos this may well be the fastest dead pool any of us can remember and - in any case - any dead pool that mirrors the rapidity of my own sexual performance is appealing (but - hey - enough about me). What I'm currently missing is the Q/O. 

Of course, if Wiki - or any other news source - revises the time of death back a few hours...

Stop press - Wiki is all over the place as I type this. Box to the right sez dead 1 June, body copy of entry sex 31 May. If the second one is true it's still game on but in a spirit of fairness Spade gets to revise his selection

• Like 2

Okay, okay back to my life

Her OFFICIAL site dates the death to 31 May; consequently she falls foul of the rule that a candidate has to be breathing when the game starts. 

Spade man - you might need another toppler

'any dead pool that mirrors the rapidity of my own sexual performance is appealing'

'body copy of entry sex 31 May'

You seem to have it on the brain - are you away with the wife for a couple of days?

• Like 1

So with Spade having to go find another candidate, which of the remaining 20 will win. Not trying to be arrogant, but I think the best bets are myself and Chorizo, though I think people may think otherwise.

If I do have to pick another candidate, it's only fair I do so asap rather than wait for reports of some foreign politician being shot and then requesting them here.

Accordingly, I will make my replacement pick (assuming Ms Torr is not found to have actually died yesterday) Ami Brown.

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

So with Spade having to go find another candidate, which of the remaining 20 will win. Not trying to be arrogant, but I think the best bets are myself and Chorizo, though I think people may think otherwise.

I think I have a fairly good chance.

Well, from a rational point of view Hart and Christie will be dead within a few days. I was at work Wednesday and had to say to Mrs. Drol to pick Hart for me. She did it too late and then I went for the lucky strike, though it's really unlikely.

7 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

I think I have a fairly good chance.

I think a lot of people have a fairly good chance of winning, I'm just saying who has the best candidates. Now that I think about it though, Grim has a pretty strong candidate as well, and Spade's new pick. So we'll see...

2 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

The Campbell's have something planned for adious mark my words!

Yes. More music. 

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Of course, if Wiki - or any other news source - revises the time of death back a few hours...

Stop press - Wiki is all over the place as I type this. Box to the right sez dead 1 June, body copy of entry sex 31 May. If the second one is true it's still game on but in a spirit of fairness Spade gets to revise his selection

Wiki boxes now consistent at 31st May.

5 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

'any dead pool that mirrors the rapidity of my own sexual performance is appealing'

'body copy of entry sex 31 May'

You seem to have it on the brain - are you away with the wife for a couple of days?

Aye, indeed I am. - nearly bedtime now!

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If I do have to pick another candidate, it's only fair I do so asap rather than wait for reports of some foreign politician being shot and then requesting them here.

Accordingly, I will make my replacement pick (assuming Ms Torr is not found to have actually died yesterday) Ami Brown.

On it Spade - masterlist about to be adjusted