Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

Round Up #4 (Alpine Skiers Do It Downhill Olympic Special)

Lassie Lou Ahern: Guardian Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/26/lassie-lou-ahern-obituary

Dorothy Rungeling: Awaiting Obit.

Catherine Nevin: Daily Mirror Obit: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/black-widow-who-paid-hitman-12058980

Rev Billy Graham: BBC Obit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43142263

Hubert Doggart: Awaiting Obit.

Nanette Fabray: Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5429111/Nanette-Fabray-star-stage-screen-TV-dies-97.html

Cynthia Heimel: Awaiting Obit.

Lewis Gilbert: Express Obit: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/924828/James-Bond-director-Lewis-Gilbert-dead-Moonraker-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-You-Only-Live-Twice

Vanessa Lafaye: Awaiting Obit.

Gillo Dorfles: Awaiting Obit.

Vanessa Goodwin: Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5457237/Sad-start-Tas-Liberals-election-night.html

Emma Hannigan: Sun Obit: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5715583/emma-hannigan-dead-bestselling-irish-author-dies-aged-45-after-cancer-battle/

Alva Campbell: Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5458675/Ohio-inmate-execution-halted-dies-natural-causes.html

Sir Roger Bannister: BBC Obit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/43273249

Two things I noticed. First, Kevin Carr has been dead since mid January, yet he has no obit but also got no mention on the list of the lost either. The other thing I noticed is that I can't seem to go back to the 2017 updates if I wanted to read them. I also can't seem to go back to the past updates for this year so far. Can you please fix that, cause it is bugging me a bit. Thanks. 

On 17.2.2018 at 03:34, YoungWillz said:

Round Up #4 (Alpine Skiers Do It Downhill Olympic Special)

Lassie Lou Ahern: Awaiting Obit.

Dorothy Rungeling: Awaiting Obit.

Catherine Nevin: Awaiting Obit.

Can't believe we're that obit-starved, what's going on?

I think Nevin will not cross from the Irish Mirror to the UK Mirror, but the Daily Mail obit should have been there by now.

And where's the Telegraph/Guardian obit for Lassie Lou Ahern? Too little to write about?

What makes it weirder is The Guardian have been reduced to running "classic" obits to fill space on their homepage (Buster Keaton and John Lewis in recent weeks), so it's not like they've been too busy to write them up. We still have 12 unobitted names from January, ridiculous.

• Angry 1

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's my favourite newspaper of them all?

Well, until they do something idiotic of course. It's the Mirror after all...

Nevin QO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's my favourite newspaper of them all?

Well, until they do something idiotic of course. It's the Mirror after all...

Nevin QO.

And still no Daily Mail obit.... Is it possible that they are more and more focused on America and Australia (the conservative axis) and forget Europe?

Or similarly, are they more focused on the AP copy/paste and less interested in writing their own stuff because it costs too much or something?

Weird given they covered her release too, but hell, any QO is gold.

It is nice to see the table updated per hit, btw. Back in the top ten for the first time since 2016! B)

Admittedly, also the only time I've ever been in the top ten outside of that year.  I'll enjoy this Indian Summer until the Vervoort fest!

EDIT - Or until some random 90 year old carks it an hour later!

• Like 1

I wonder... is Billy Graham the most-selected person ever in DDP history? The extra two years surely pushed him over Zsa Zsa?

2003-2018 (I never show ran so I don't have the 96-2002 teams to check...)

Zsa Zsa Gabor - 1630 teams

Rev Billy G - 1502 teams.

Interesting.

Be curious to see how some of the other long terms stack up - yer George Bushes and Kirk Douglases. Vera Lynn must be up there too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

It is nice to see the table updated per hit, btw. Back in the top ten for the first time since 2016! B)

Agreed. Nice one Spade.

On 16/02/2018 at 20:16, Spade_Cooley said:

See in the weekend with an update.

I deeply appreciate my name check for the unique hit for WPC Davies. Would it be churlish to point out he wasn't headmaster of Cheltenham College itself (that was a chap called Richard Morgan), he was headmaster of the Junior School (ages 7-13).

Anyway, onto bigger things ... Billy Graham, finally!

I know one team that didn't have Billy.   Didn't seem enough points even with 3 bonus.  But at least he died for those who had him, and I tip m'cap.  

6 hours ago, msc said:

2003-2018 (I never show ran so I don't have the 96-2002 teams to check...)

Zsa Zsa Gabor - 1630 teams

Rev Billy G - 1502 teams.

Interesting.

Be curious to see how some of the other long terms stack up - yer George Bushes and Kirk Douglases. Vera Lynn must be up there too.

Even Zsa Zsa isn't most selected celebrity in history (of who have died at least). Because of a huge amount of selections in the mid 2000 due to a health scare, Fidel Castro got on 1709 teams before he died the same year as Zsa Zsa. But I think the most selected celeb in the DDP was Ms Thatcher. Appeared on a whopping 1766 teams from 2003 to 2013, and that's with her living three years less than both Castro and Zsa Zsa...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I wonder... is Billy Graham the most-selected person ever in DDP history? The extra two years surely pushed him over Zsa Zsa?

I gave up on the Rotten Dead Pool a while ago but - fuck knows - he's got some mileage in that one. So popular there it's likely the resultant scores will near enough cancel each other out

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I know one team that didn't have Billy.   Didn't seem enough points even with 3 bonus.  But at least he died for those who had him, and I tip m'cap.  

Yeah, I didn't pick him on any of my DDP teams either as it's not worth it for a low amount of points.

Donald Trump's bio probably, and sadly, needs updating.

I had noticed this. Was going to change it to "Reality TV star best known for his appearance in the second Home Alone movie".

• Like 8

Also, John Major is listed as "John Majors", and I never know if this was a typo or a reference to a 20-year-old Lee and Herring joke.

• Like 1

There is actually a John Majors but given the rest of their team, typo? He was Major till 2015 when a very similar team had him as an unique with the S.

Although that got me looking up Lee and Herring, which took me to this:

Didn't at least one of Lee and Herring (Herring possibly?) grow up in or near Cheddar? We're up the road in Bristol where the superfluos 's'  is epidemic, added to both surnames and placenames. It's persistent, too, and will end up sneaking out of the mouths of otherwise very well spoken and articulate people.

Apparently, Herring did, it's where they met. You pop on to Deathlist Forums for 5 seconds and accidentally learn something new...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Also, John Major is listed as "John Majors", and I never know if this was a typo or a reference to a 20-year-old Lee and Herring joke.

Guilty as charged although I'm sure Vic & Bob made that gag as well...

You might also add the apocryphal fact that I was Ruth Negga's first crush...

An odd mistake I noticed, any reason why camera operator David Smith is at the bottom of the O page? 

EDIT: Actually, I think I might have an idea on how it’s placed there, but I’m not sure why that it’s a bug...

I just noticed that nobody picked US Special Counsel Robert Mueller. There must be quite a few people who wish him dead.