Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

Well, I sent something now since I know I'm going to be very busy for the next couple of days. This team definitely has a more conventional feel to it than last time, and I could maybe see one or two people being unique this time (but even then I suspect someone else would pick them). At least it looks much better on paper than my first round against Grim (no person with stage one cancer in remission picks). Good luck everyone...

• Like 1

The Death List Cup - that special opportunity to spend a week of your life wondering how Jean of Luxembourg is getting along.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

The Death List Cup - that special opportunity to spend a week of your life wondering how Jean of Luxembourg is getting along.

The Deathlist Cup - that special opportunity to spend a week of your life wondering who the fuck some of the people on lists are and if they actually reach the fame requirements for the game!

(I know who  Jean of Luxembourg is, before any cheeky sods reply...)

• Like 1

With it looking increasingly likely that barring a late collapse I'm going to pull off the shock of the round, I'm debating whether to use Spade's Deathlist prowess and overhaul my team with his picks from R1 (he can't have been too far out with a lot of these people right?) or whether to keep the faith with my solid and trusted favourites who have got me this far (well, apart from the ones who actually scored of course).

On 2/14/2018 at 21:32, msc said:

What, the Scottish ref rigs it for his fellow Thistle fan? :o

:P

Can i just say MSC i'm such a thistle fan!  :D:P

• Haha 2

I'll be working next few days so i'll PM you over my team now MSC in case i go through.

Both Round 2 teams from that game in, now if one of you could score in the first round, ta?

Also an editorial note.  As I may be busy this week, at this point on: if you submit a DQ'd pick under FFBI only rules, I'll just sub them with your first sub.

Given the lax fame rules AND obit rules, only fair, imo.

Disallowed so far

-          People Who have died already ie Rev Billy Graham

-          Terminally ill mums with no other claim to fame ie Kate Ann thingymyjig from the papers today

-          Kids ie folk under the age of 18

-          Father in laws of fringe celebrities ie Kevin mcAllister

-          Hairdressers ie I forget his name, he was Australian

-          Rabbis with no real fame bar illness

-          Her who runs the Women in Football thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Both Round 2 teams from that game in, now if one of you could score in the first round, ta?

Also an editorial note.  As I may be busy this week, at this point on: if you submit a DQ'd pick under FFBI only rules, I'll just sub them with your first sub.

Disallowed so far

-          Terminally ill mums with no other claim to fame ie Kate Ann thingymyjig from the papers today

Christ there's no-one left!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, msc said:

Disallowed so far

Yay that means all my picks are eligible! 

1 minute ago, Sean said:

You thateans all my picks are eligible! 

Sean, I'd expect 10 of your team to get a full broadsheet obit when they go! Safe as houses. The fame bar, I mean, not their respective health...

• Like 1

Second Round draw

1.       Death Impends vs Heef

2.       Gcreptile or John Key vs Deathray or Sir Creep

3.       Joey Russ or Garn vs Grim Up North or Yorkshire Banker

4.       Bibliogryphon or Phantom of the midway vs Pedro or The Dead Cow

5.       Sean or Fixed Business vs charon or Maryportfuncity

6.       Spade Cooley or Roverandout vs DDT

7.       Captain Chorizo or Book vs Young willz or Engineer

8.       msc or wormfarmer vs Deadsox (reigning champion)

A reminder of the Round 2 draw, and teams in BOLD have been received.  Though there is still 55 and a bit hours to send in a team.

Hooray! I'm going to reach the Quarterfinals by default! De Fault, the two greatest words in the English language. :lol: (I know I'd get killed by Deadsox head to head and rightly so, but I'm more wary of a last minute sting in the tale from Wormfarmer. Robbie Rotten can hold off till March, right?)

I am fucked I reckon.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I am fucked I reckon.

Don't be so sure about that. You haven't even seen your opponent's team yet...

39 minutes ago, msc said:

Her who runs the Women in Football thing.

Did someone try picking her for this round even though I mentioned a few pages back that she got rejected?

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Did someone try picking her for this round even though I mentioned a few pages back that she got rejected?

I was using examples rather than specifics, but in that case, yes.

17 minutes ago, Sean said:

I am fucked I reckon.

Hey, DL Status Updates: Statements, Observations and Verbal Tennis for that kind of life upd... oh, right, I see.

Well, depends what team Charon puts out.

• Haha 1

Yo I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but am I supposed to send in a team for another round? Little confused.

6 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Yo I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but am I supposed to send in a team for another round? Little confused.

You can if you want, though you need... 4 deaths in 2 days to advance at this point!

8 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Yeah

But with two days to go and a 0-6 scoreline against me I haven't bothered yet

It goes without saying there is nothing but solid talent (well even in round 1 of course, but)...in this upcoming round.  But my goodness I'd have preferred to duck gcreptile.  I've got a lineup at the ready, but only 3 solid picks are on it and surely GCR has 2 of them.  Well, if you want to be the best, you got to beat the best.   And that's what I'll have to do.

50 minutes ago, msc said:

Disallowed so far

Well ok, I thought the O.P. clearly said 'fame' even as fleeting as it may be.  Being a 'fringe' isn't fame.  I have come across PLENTY of brothers sisters mums dads (relatives) etc they are all nobodies and I dismissed them wholly.  I best not see any of them included.  They need accomplishment on their own merit (and I understand as the person who used Angie Douthit in Rd 1 how tenuous that can be -- however she was clearly a reality tv personality....health seems to be temporarily kinda ok so she gets a punt from me).   So...Obviously no relatives of famous people -- Obviously no one under 18 --  Obviously no one dead --  Obviously no one who is 'only famous for being ill'.  I'm not sure 'being old' is fame....but it's been allowed so there it is, however shouldn't they at least be 'top 10 oldest' or at least 'countries oldest'?  Olive Boar is just old.  How is that fame?  Whatever.  At least be 'the oldest'.   I've no idea about this women+football person so I'm not missing out.  2 1/2 days till kickoff.  I'll turn mine in after some afternoon updates on the 27th.   Presently I've only 2 carryover names.  In fact I've stolen twice as many.
SC

Agreed, hence why that is the DISALLOWED LIST. B)

You got the fame requirements spot on in Round 1, I wouldn't worry.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Second Round draw

8.       msc or wormfarmer vs Deadsox (reigning champion)

Hooray! I'm going to reach the Quarterfinals by default! De Fault, the two greatest words in the English language. :lol: (I know I'd get killed by Deadsox head to head and rightly so, but I'm more wary of a last minute sting in the tale from Wormfarmer. Robbie Rotten can hold off till March, right?)

In case I do get that last minute hit and advance, I will carry forward my Feb team with one switch: give me Kevin Smith in place of Lauren Wasser.  If Smith can't hold on that long, gimme Jose Jose.  Cheers.  Wait!  Of course I will also want to replace the name that dies, too!  TBD . . . . . .

Edited by Wormfarmer
update
  • Like 1

So far, most of my predictions for other teams advancing are correct, apart from YoungWilz vs the engineer (who looks like a good bet for a coin flip) and Spade vs Rover (didn't expect Nevin or Graham to die)...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

So far, most of my predictions for other teams advancing are correct, apart from YoungWilz vs the engineer (who looks like a good bet for a coin flip) and Spade vs Rover (didn't expect Nevin or Graham to die)...

Presumably you also expected some of Spade's picks to croak methinks...

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Presumably you also expected some of Spade's picks to croak methinks...

Aye, well you can rest assured there are no Charlie Stillitano figures at Deathlist Cup HQ, so underdog wins always welcome.