Sign in to follow this  
Handrejka

Names we dislike

Looking at those top names of 2017, some of them do surprise as I thought they were old fashioned. Isabella (gothic horror victim), Mia (a panda), and Joshua (tree?) for example.

Looking down the lists, names that I dislike: Poppy, Scarlett, Jackson (!), Logan, Mason, etc. Stand out "look at us and our kid" names. Give your weans nice normal names so if they want to stand out later, it's on their own and not because their parents were cuntos. Or something like that.

Joshua has enjoyed a long period of popularity.   It's actually another form of Jesus, which is shunned by Anglophone parents.

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Came in here to post this. Never met a Tim who wasn't a cunt.

How about Tim the Enchanted?
Yessir, a cunt.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

People tend to avoid the names of their parents' and grandparents' generations, but go back one more and those names suddenly become cool.  Names like Wilfred, Alfie, Arthur are all the rage now.  They were 'old man' names to people my age.

Exactly.....thought not sure why that is.  My matriarchal grandmother was Emma....but in the 1940-1990 range NO ONE would name a child ghastly 'Emma'.  Then the tide turned, and usually it is a movie star or character from TV etc and all the sudden a name picks up steam.  Now Emma is a top 5 name annually again.  We had very much considered it for my daughter in 2010 -- granted it would have had a family tie at least -- and even had friends call her Emma a few weeks whilst in the womb.  She ended up not Emma, but just sharing the story.
SC

Gertrude.  

How about any name they add an unnecessary 'eeee' sound to:  Katy, Annie, Patty, etc., when Kate and Anne and Patricia (or Pat) will do just fine.  You sound like 8-year olds.  
I don't mean shortened versions though.  Constance (add that to this list) had better say Connie or they'll violate my 'stuffy pompous name' rule posted earlier. 
SC

Oh ..oh oh!!!!!  
This list begins and ends with DIERDRE!  I never know how to even say it even after hearing someone say it.  AWFUL AWFUL ugly ass name.  
Sounds like "Dreary Fat Boring Old" (wife of Mr. Sniveling Little Rat-Faced Git).

Just now, Sir Creep said:

Oh ..oh oh!!!!!  
This list begins and ends with DIERDRE!  I never know how to even say it 

Or spell it! :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Or spell it! :D

See what I mean!  LOL
It's e before i, it violates fundamental English FFS.  What a fucking awful ugly name.  I can't pronounce it, how can I hope to spell it.  Deirdre:) 

40 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

Englebert 

Still as popular a name as ever 

I can't stand "Karina"

16 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Every man called Grant is going to be a cunt.

And that name sounds too grown up for a baby...saw this meme that was like " do you want to hold Grant...NO, but he can look at my tax returns" XD id like it much either...Caydon is another name im not too fond of. They either fat cunts or athletic douche bags...no way around it

57 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Oh ..oh oh!!!!!  
This list begins and ends with DIERDRE!  I never know how to even say it even after hearing someone say it.  AWFUL AWFUL ugly ass name.  
Sounds like "Dreary Fat Boring Old" (wife of Mr. Sniveling Little Rat-Faced Git).

Sharkeisha is just as bad

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Oh ..oh oh!!!!!  

Image result for ken & deirdre

Spot on, apart from the 'fat'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Gertrude.  

How about any name they add an unnecessary 'eeee' sound to:  Katy, Annie, Patty, etc., when Kate and Anne and Patricia (or Pat) will do just fine.  You sound like 8-year olds.  
I don't mean shortened versions though.  Constance (add that to this list) had better say Connie or they'll violate my 'stuffy pompous name' rule posted earlier. 
SC

Patty sounds like a hamburger, Pat sounds like cowshit, however both are legitimate abbreviations of Patricia (yuk) and both Kate and Katy (Katie) are legitimate abbreviations of Katherine. I'm with you on unnecessary 'eeee' sounds to lengthen a name as in Annie, Paulie, Petey etc.

11 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Anybody named after a U.S. State

you mean you wouldn't name your child West Virginia? :mellow:

I hate the name Lee

• Haha 1

Everybody named Ricky seems to be a wanker.

However, I don't blame or dislike the name, people by their conduct are what matters.

3 hours ago, SSWDeathlistfan1996 said:

And that name sounds too grown up for a baby

I'm afraid this attitude is responsible for the current UK trend for twee names (Daisy, Poppy et al), pet names instead of the formal version* (Charlie, Alfie) and the unnecessary lengthening of names (Evie instead of Eve, Rosie instead of Rose).  People need to realise that they are naming an adult, not a baby.  Their offspring will only be babies for the blink of an eye, so FFS give them a proper name which isn't cutesy or childish on an adult. 

* This in particular makes me cross, as I am a victim myself.  Many names have multiple short versions or nicknames, and depriving a child of options is selfish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I am fascinated by names, and how they are dictated by fashion.  I have nothing against the name Barbara, but I was at school with a few and the names of my generation will take another generation or so to come back into favour.  See also Susan, Sandra, Linda etc. 

People tend to avoid the names of their parents' and grandparents' generations, but go back one more and those names suddenly become cool.  Names like Wilfred, Alfie, Arthur are all the rage now.  They were 'old man' names to people my age.

I first realised I was getting old when a few years ago some younger colleagues were aghast that a friend of theirs had called their baby Elaine. 

"Elaine's not an old name, I was at school with an Elaine." I say innocently. 

The looks I received indicated that this was because I am indeed old in their eyes. 

Similarly my middle name is one of those at risk of dying out according to this article ,yet when I was born it was vetoed as my first name because there were so many. My parents didn't realise that my first name was actually equally common and remains very of its time.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/18/sorry-angela-the-most-unpopular-baby-names-of-2016-have-been-revealed-5759585/

Although in the case of Charlie, the nickname has become so ubiquitous that it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out over half the country didn't know it was a nickname now. Ditto Harry for Henry. I do generally agree, though.  And there's a thing, given the Harry/Henry has been around for nearly a millenium, how come we don't call him Harry VIII? It's all going to be "King William's younger brother Prince Henry was a popular public figure in those olden days..." in 300 years.

On a similar note, my name can be shortened in several ones and one thing that really pisses me off is people doing it without permission to be pally. Makes me properly tetchy.

• Like 1

Arthur.

Babies are now getting called Arthur...FFS!!!

Every time I hear that name I can only think of a jar of yukky baby food.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Although in the case of Charlie, the nickname has become so ubiquitous that it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out over half the country didn't know it was a nickname now. Ditto Harry for Henry. I do generally agree, though.  And there's a thing, given the Harry/Henry has been around for nearly a millenium, how come we don't call him Harry VIII? It's all going to be "King William's younger brother Prince Henry was a popular public figure in those olden days..." in 300 years.

On a similar note, my name can be shortened in several ones and one thing that really pisses me off is people doing it without permission to be pally. Makes me properly tetchy.

That pisses me off. What pisses me off even more is when my mother does it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Similarly my middle name is one of those at risk of dying out according to this article ,yet when I was born it was vetoed as my first name because there were so many. My parents didn't realise that my first name was actually equally common and remains very of its time.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/18/sorry-angela-the-most-unpopular-baby-names-of-2016-have-been-revealed-5759585/

There were 70 Angelas registered in 2016 - and 12 Bertrams!

But most of the names they list are just at the bottom of their arc of popularity, and will be rediscovered by today's children when they become parents.

There are not many names that die out completely.

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

There were 70 Angelas registered in 2016 - and 12 Bertrams!

But most of the names they list are just at the bottom of their arc of popularity, and will be rediscovered by today's children when they become parents.

There are not many names that die out completely.

True. I can't see Myra making a come back anytime soon though.

Edit. I was wrong, Myra has grown in popularity.

http://names.darkgreener.com/#myra

Anything ending in a 'y'.

Harry? Name is Harold.

Gerry? Name is Gerald.

Franny? Name is Francis .

Etc etc, folk that put abbreviations on a birth certificate should be shot.

• Like 1