Sign in to follow this  
Handrejka

Names we dislike

At the suggestion of Toast and similarly to the "Words we dislike" thread I present names we dislike.

I'm thinking of fairly ordinary names we don't like rather than the outlandish mumsnet type fare.

Robyn or Robin I've already mentioned, Zoe because almost every single one I've met has been horrible and Yvonne for similar reasons and because it sounds awful. 

I've just remembered Sonya and Julia as well. I don't know anyone by that name though my younger  niece was nearly Julia. I just think they sound awful, especially with a northern accent. It does amuse me that Sonya is Russian for dormouse though. 

For men I can't stand the name Jason for a human though it's fine for a pet. 

• Like 2

Every man called Grant is going to be a cunt.

I hate every guy named Chad or Chaz or Ched or Chez

Also I'm posting this because NEVER FORGET

For some reason, I can’t stand the name Ryan. Just annoys me for some reason. Also Donald. 

I met someone named Destiny once; made me think of Captain Scarlet.

Also, her kids will be known as Destiny's Child.

Eta - is this a normal name or a mumsnet type name? I'm not sure.

Tim

Keith

Derek

Arthur

Oliver

Fucking LOADS of names.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Fucking LOADS of names.

I know....where to start?  Bullshit syllables thrown together to make 'new' names.  Hello African-Americans I'm talking to YOU.  And stuffy arse 'family' names you Brits muck around in like Beauregard Chalmondley Hamilton Smyth VI.  Fuck that shit.   Any of the top 50 baby names in 1960 are great.  Any in 2015 are shite.  I know there isn't any crossover.  
When was the movie "Splash' made?  A pivotal part of the movie was them making fun of the girl-mermaid for choosing 'Madison' as a name, got it off a street sign.  Why?  Cuz Madison wasn't a fuhkin girl name -- it wasn't a first name at all.  NOW look.  This world fucking sucks at naming anything now. 

I'm surprised Joey Russ (not picking on him, he's just the right age)  is Joey and not Jawan.  I praise his parents.

Sir C.

• Like 1

I don't like names with "eth" in them. 

Beth -sounds like somebody with a lisp throwing up.

Ethan - makes me think of methane.

Seth - a poisonous snake.

Megan because it sounds ugly, clunky and robotic.  Even worse when it's spelt Meghan.  What is the point of that 'h'?

You-neek names.  I know of a Jazmyn and an Aaleigha.  Enough said.

• Like 2

Percival.  Egad.  You'd be better naming the child Egad.

19 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Percival.  Egad.  You'd be better naming the child Egad.

Oh, but Sir Percival is one of the Knights of the Round Table, and the Holy Grail and all that.  Very romantic name!

Percy should be gaining popularity with the Percy Jackson stories (I know a little Percy!) but Percival can shorten to Val as well.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I know....where to start?  Bullshit syllables thrown together to make 'new' names.  Hello African-Americans I'm talking to YOU.  And stuffy arse 'family' names you Brits muck around in like Beauregard Chalmondley Hamilton Smyth VI.  Fuck that shit.   Any of the top 50 baby names in 1960 are great.  Any in 2015 are shite.  I know there isn't any crossover.  
When was the movie "Splash' made?  A pivotal part of the movie was them making fun of the girl-mermaid for choosing 'Madison' as a name, got it off a street sign.  Why?  Cuz Madison wasn't a fuhkin girl name -- it wasn't a first name at all.  NOW look.  This world fucking sucks at naming anything now. 

I'm surprised Joey Russ (not picking on him, he's just the right age)  is Joey and not Jawan.  I praise his parents.

Sir C.

you forgot to add for 1960.  How many people would name their daughter Brenda or Connie or Janice or Rhonda? Or their son Douglas, Dennis or Raymond? As for Madison, I'll give you that the rise in use for a girl's name was triggered by Splash, but your assertion that it wasn't a name at all is incorrect.

Wikipedia: As a masculine given name, Madison can be found within the top 1,000 names for boys in the United States up until about 1952. Madison returned to the top 1,000 ranked names for boys in 1987, remaining there through 1999, and it also was the 858th-most-common name for boys in 2004, but it remains uncommon as a masculine given name.[3]

Even one of Thomas Jefferson's bastard sons was named Madison.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

Oh, but Sir Percival is one of the Knights of the Round Table, and the Holy Grail and all that.  Very romantic name!

Percy should be gaining popularity with the Percy Jackson stories (I know a little Percy!) but Percival can shorten to Val as well.

Don't forget Lord Percy.

Image result for lord percy

• Haha 1

That ^^^^^^^ buttresses my comment :)

Lucas, Erik/Eric, Any variation of Britney, Eli, Bryce, Frank, Ella, Erica/Erika/Airwrecka, Anybody named after a U.S. State., Lea/Leah, Bob, Ian, Danny.

On a more positive note, here are names I like, I don't know why: Brandon, Christian, Diana, Charlie, and Dominique.

I have nothing in particular against the name Barbara, except for the fact that David Mitchell and Victoria Coren named their daughter Barbara.  She is now about 3 years old.  And called Barbara.  Who the fuck names a baby Barbara in this day and age? A pair of cunts, that’s who. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toast said:

I don't like names with "eth" in them. 

Beth -sounds like somebody with a lisp throwing up.

Ethan - makes me think of methane.

Seth - a poisonous snake.

Megan because it sounds ugly, clunky and robotic.  Even worse when it's spelt Meghan.  What is the point of that 'h'?

You-neek names.  I know of a Jazmyn and an Aaleigha.  Enough said.

This.

Not least because it comes across as if your child is special and by association you are. They aren't and you're not. Everyones child is special to them, that's enough.

This goes double for 'slebs picking ludicrous names....Apple, Fifi Trixibelle, Kal-El, etc etc. Get a grip.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Tim

Came in here to post this. Never met a Tim who wasn't a cunt.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I have nothing in particular against the name Barbara, except for the fact that David Mitchell and Victoria Coren named their daughter Barbara.  She is now about 3 years old.  And called Barbara.  Who the fuck names a baby Barbara in this day and age? A pair of cunts, that’s who. 

I am fascinated by names, and how they are dictated by fashion.  I have nothing against the name Barbara, but I was at school with a few and the names of my generation will take another generation or so to come back into favour.  See also Susan, Sandra, Linda etc. 

People tend to avoid the names of their parents' and grandparents' generations, but go back one more and those names suddenly become cool.  Names like Wilfred, Alfie, Arthur are all the rage now.  They were 'old man' names to people my age.

• Like 2