2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Over-zealous censorship aside, this thread’s getting more and more uncomfortable to read. That’s all I’m saying.

Isn't it!

1 minute ago, Toast said:

We all largely pottered along together quite happily for years, but something changed.   It seems to me that all this ill-feeling has been stirred up in recent years by a minority with extremist views, and rot is setting in.  People are being indoctrinated that all sorts of harmless things are "racist", when they are not.

Like the woman currently preaching on our community FB page.  She's lived here five minutes and she's patronisingly telling us that we're all racist without realising it, and she wants to help us be better people.  Just makes me want to punch her in the face next time I see her.

Can i come down to film you doing it?:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Over-zealous censorship aside, this thread’s getting more and more uncomfortable to read. That’s all I’m saying.

No it's not. The only uncomfortable thing that there is people with so much time on their fucking hands they think Little Britain and The Inbetweeners are offensive.

44 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

No it's not. The only uncomfortable thing that there is people with so much time on their fucking hands they think Little Britain and The Inbetweeners are offensive.

Which is exactly what I meant by over-zealous censorship. TV comedy isn’t the issue.

35 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Which is exactly what I meant by over-zealous censorship. TV comedy isn’t the issue.

Then what's your issue with this thread. Nobody has said anything remotely uncomfortable in here...

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Re bit I've bolded - I've actually arrived at the point where I don't even know what I am allowed to think or say any more.

I'd be surprised if the pyramids weren't built with a teeny weeny bit of slave labour.

The Coliseum still stands despite it being a venue for slaves fighting each other to death.

Where does it all end? Ben Elton's latest book pokes fun at this kind of retrospective judging of people and in it Samuel Pepys gets put on the Sexual Offenders Register, guilty by his own diary entries.

One can think or say whatever one likes, the same as one can choose or not to take offence.   Many things are definitely worthy of taking offence at, many are not. For instance, having your neck knelt on till you’re dead - worthy.  Crying about a comedian taking the piss out of a diverse range of people - not worthy. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

One can think or say whatever one likes, the same as one can choose or not to take offence.   Many things are definitely worthy of taking offence at, many are not. For instance, having your neck knelt on till you’re dead - worthy.  Crying about a comedian taking the piss out of a diverse range of people - not worthy. 

The choosing is the issue, no? Offence is an emotional reaction to a thing, no right or wrong than any other human reaction. (And my response is usually to sigh and look the other way.) Choosing to be offended for political reasons, as in most of the stuff you'll find in The Express, the Mail, the Mirror and The Guardian and so on is just shit stirring instead.

Although on the actual reason Little Britain got the chop, we were taught from early age that blacking up wasn't the done thing as it properly offended black people in the emotional reaction sense, not the newspaper sense. [I can sort of understand it in the same way I got why Willz got fucked off by the "fairy" comment despite not being a gay teenager from the 80s,  because general context of folks lives and trying to be empathetic bastard to other folk. Well, sometimes...] And then you'd see comics doing it, not because they were the Bernard Manning type of comics (as example of the "outdated 70s comic", not saying Manning ever did*), but because they were being ironic. Bit amusing to see all those ironic modern comedy folk hoist by their own petards they used to look down on other comics for, tbqhwy. I still like the League of Gentlemen folk and Harry Enfield.

*Benny Hill's a better example here, as he did, for purely satirical reasons to show up racists and hypocrites, but that sort of things been chucked out too.

Not in favour of the mass cleansing of "improper" Art though - better to see stuff in the context of the times and learn from it - be it Little Britain, Gone with the Wind, or stuff like Triumph of the Will (which has inspired pretty much every major director since, Leni wouldn't have been such a problem if she weren't a great director...)

Anyhow this is all getting a bit too heavy in tone for one of my posts, so I'll just ruin it all now by going: Aye, Little Britain should be axed. Because it was fucking shite and as funny as a dose of ebola. Right, there we are, then. :lol:

51 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Then what's your issue with this thread. Nobody has said anything remotely uncomfortable in here...

I’m not discussing it. Too many strong feelings on the matter and not enough time.

I’d like to second @msc’s thoughts that Little Britain should be axed. It’s absolute gash.

• Like 2

Heh, the current generation are soft and don't know how easy they've got it, they just parrot whatever they've heard on the TV and have no social skills to deal with the wilder world.

(SIX MONTHS LATER)

I've joined Combat 18 because Rory Bremner's Nelson Mandela impression isn't broadcast 24 hours a day on at least seven TV stations.

3 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I actually found Little Britain and the airline comedy they did pretty racist at the time I first watched it. And I find the Inbetweeners offensive because it's so predictable and isn't funny. However the fact that League of Gentlemen is being banned because of Papa Lazarou is ridiculous, not to mention Harry Enfield being taken to task for his Mandela impression, or that bloke crying because of Bo Selecta. There's a difference between laughing at people because they are foreign or black or have different accents, like they did in LIttle Britain, and producing comedy using skin make-up to create a character or set-up for a joke. I mean seriously, it just makes me think lockdown is making people completely bonkers.

And don't get me started on that statue "A man has fallen into the river in Lego City".

• Like 1

You know what, I cannot be arsed anymore.

There is so much bollocks spouted it is boiling my piss.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You know what, I cannot be arsed anymore.

There is so much bollocks spouted it is boiling my piss.

Goodbye again, LFN. You won't be missed. 

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’m not discussing it. Too many strong feelings on the matter and not enough time.

I’d like to second @msc’s thoughts that Little Britain should be axed. It’s absolute gash.

I've been saying that for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Liar!

You will miss me! :D

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

He didn't say he was going from here.  At least I hope not.  I assumed he was referring to the wider world.

And FWIW I never really took to Little Britain either.  I don't mind offensive humour as long as it's funny, and LB wasn't very funny.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Liar!

You will miss me! :D

I refer the dishonourable gentleman to his signature.... 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

He didn't say he was going from here.  At least I hope not.  I assumed he was referring to the wider world.

And FWIW I never really took to Little Britain either.  I don't mind offensive humour as long as it's funny, and LB wasn't very funny.

No, I am not going anywhere.

I have too many people on here to annoy and irritate! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Toast said:

Occasionally they could be funny but most of the time the 'jokes' were too crass and basic.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I refer the dishonourable gentleman to his signature.... 

Am I?

Thanks!!:lol:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Occasionally they could be funny but most of the time the 'jokes' were too crass and basic.

Occasionally.  "Computer says no" was one I think we could all relate to.  :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

and LB wasn't very funny.

Rude

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Now how fucking ridiculous is this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53005676

Chart-topping US pop group Lady Antebellum have changed their name to Lady A because Antebellum has connotations with the slavery era.

The word antebellum is used to refer to the period and architecture in the US South before the Civil War.

They say they took the name from the architectural style, but are "deeply sorry for the hurt this has caused".

What utter bollocks.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Ok heres a simple solution for those who don't like Little Britain/Inbetweeners/Gavin and Stacey/whatever tf is next to be cancelled:

DONT LIKE IT? DONT WATCH IT!

• Like 3