the_engineer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2020

17 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Got reminded of the utterly shite early 90s ITV gameshow version of Cluedo earlier today:

There were four series, and a Christmas special, each other which had a completely different cast. All were highly QO-able British actors. Pam Ferris is the only remaining Mrs White (pre-deceased by June Whitfield, Joan Sims, Mollie Sugden and Liz Smith). There's two dead Rev Greens (Robin Nedwell and Derek Nimmo), two dead Col Mustards (Leslie Grantham and Lewis Collins) and one dead Mrs Peacock (Kate O'Mara). Ms Scarlett and Professor Plum both have full dance cards, although seeing as the latter was played by people including David MacCallum and Tom Baker, perhaps not for long.

I only watched the first series which was quite fun. I remember Paul Darrow appeared as a guest star in one episode.

• Like 1

Future David Quantick's Showbiz Pals pick CJ De Mooi now faces homelessness and money woes in addition to his HIV infection, "several cancer scares" and "physical and mental health" problems:

https://www.thegayuk.com/former-eggheads-star-cj-de-mooi-is-facing-homelessness-and-failing-health/

Edit: Maybe his biggest claim to fame is being elected president of the English Chess Federation in 2010???

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Future David Quantick's Showbiz Pals pick CJ De Mooi now faces homelessness and money woes in addition to his HIV infection, "several cancer scares" and "physical and mental health" problems:

https://www.thegayuk.com/former-eggheads-star-cj-de-mooi-is-facing-homelessness-and-failing-health/

Edit: Maybe his biggest claim to fame is being elected president of the English Chess Federation in 2010???

Seems a decent bloke (on Twitter) 

Can't seem to find out who this is, but if he is obitable definitely one to put on the short list.

facebook_1555698526478.jpg

• Haha 1

Read this morning in the context of the revival of the play Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell that the landlord of the Coach and Horses in Soho during Bernard's legendary period as a regular - Norman Balon - is alive (aged 92). Will likely get a mention if only in the context of the play when he goes and his career as a landlord must have meant endless hours in very smoky rooms.

• Like 1

A reminder that my 2014 DDP survivor, journalist Chris Moncrieff, is soon to be 88 and still with us. Highly obitable when he goes, and looked on his last legs after a 60 year career of heavy drinking back then. Although he still gives talks and semi-regular articles for the Northern Echo.

True story about him, oft retold. He was chasing a story down in N Ireland in the early 80s, by which I mean boozing. The masked men come into the pub and announce the pub has a bomb set to go off in half an hour. Chris turns round and the entire pub has just emptied, but he thought: "Oh well, if the pubs exploding in 30 minutes, that's plenty of time for one more pint of Guinness." Asked later how he felt, he said "I was pissed off. The bomb didn't go off for another hour, there'd been time for two pints had I known!"

12 hours ago, msc said:

A reminder that my 2014 DDP survivor, journalist Chris Moncrieff, is soon to be 88 and still with us. Highly obitable when he goes, and looked on his last legs after a 60 year career of heavy drinking back then. Although he still gives talks and semi-regular articles for the Northern Echo.

True story about him, oft retold. He was chasing a story down in N Ireland in the early 80s, by which I mean boozing. The masked men come into the pub and announce the pub has a bomb set to go off in half an hour. Chris turns round and the entire pub has just emptied, but he thought: "Oh well, if the pubs exploding in 30 minutes, that's plenty of time for one more pint of Guinness." Asked later how he felt, he said "I was pissed off. The bomb didn't go off for another hour, there'd been time for two pints had I known!"

That story alone makes him obitable, cheers for the reminder

Re legendary boozers I'm always amazed that Tony "Doc" Shiels remains amongst us. B.1938 but the last time I saw him - the first Fortean Times Unconvention 21 years ago - Doc's presentation and a fair amount of the time in the main auditorium was - ahem - influenced by his fairly obvious alcholism.

In typical pose

1200px-DocShiels2015c.JPG

• Like 1

How about Margaret Keane?

Brian Travers. He has had two brain tumours removed but he is going against doctors orders and will still continue to smoke, drink and take recreational drugs. (x)

Watching a Jaguar documentary starring  98 year old Norman Dewis.Denis.Can walk with a stick sharp as a tack and looklooks years younger than he is.is.Reckon he has petrol left in the tank for a while yet.

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

Watching a Jaguar documentary starring  98 year old Norman Dewis.Denis.Can walk with a stick sharp as a tack and looklooks years younger than he is.is.Reckon he has petrol left in the tank for a while yet.

Can someone confirm to me that my eyes are in fact fine and I've not got double vision? 

Your eyes are fine .My phone has 50 cracks in it so is playing up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brian Doherty of Canadian rock band Big Wreck has terminal cancer. Probably not obitable outside of North America fyi.

G Herbo

In an interview with Complex Magazine the Rapper said Avenger:Endgame is for Nerds. A death possibility via Pitchforks and lit torches from Marvel Fanboys

11 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Brian Doherty of Canadian rock band Big Wreck has terminal cancer. Probably not obitable outside of North America fyi.

Depending on how imminent it is - you might want to check MMMDP rules re q/o

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:42, Sean said:

Dewis has been dragged into dead pool action by me a few times. All pointless, of course. Nailed on obitable if only because of his close proximity to the worst motor racing accident of all time at Le Mans. He basically sped past as all hell let loose around him.

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Depending on how imminent it is - you might want to check MMMDP rules re q/o

Not sure how imminent it is, but it says he has been battling this cancer for 9 months on his gofundme page. On the MMMDP, I actually was kind of directing towards that, should've made it clearer :P I think he'll get like, CBC obits (and i found a iheartradio article even), but thats it.

1 hour ago, FixedBusiness said:

Not sure how imminent it is, but it says he has been battling this cancer for 9 months on his gofundme page. On the MMMDP, I actually was kind of directing towards that, should've made it clearer :P I think he'll get like, CBC obits (and i found a iheartradio article even), but thats it.

Aye, so if he's not about to fall I think Advent Avalanche,  most rules of which were - ahem - inspired by MMMDP might allow him to score.

Dame Barbara Windsor 2020