paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First case in New Zealand for 24 days arrived by air from the UK

That will teach the Kiwis to be smug. We have more where that came from.

• Haha 2

It's really starting to take off in India . Nearly 2000 dead in a day . I think it's safe to say china 100% lied about there numbers . 40 thousand dead is probably a more accurate figure than 4500.

36 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

It's really starting to take off in India . Nearly 2000 dead in a day . I think it's safe to say china 100% lied about there numbers . 40 thousand dead is probably a more accurate figure than 4500.

It will burn out long before it can decimate their population with any significance.

India and China both have populations greater than the next 3 or four countries behind them on the list.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, the_engineer said:

13 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It will burn out long before it can decimate their population with any significance.

India and China both have populations greater than the next 3 or four countries behind them on the list.

LFN's right but if India hit a number of deaths per million similar to UK then it would be deaths of over 800,000 people which is a lot in the context of a total number of worldwide death to date of only 450,000.

But even a million people out of 1.3 billion will not noticeably affect their population - lot of individual grief and I would imagine the health infrastructure might collapse but it will blow through and be gone as LFN says. 

Alan Sugar has weighed in on continuing lockdown restrictions in the UK:

Hugely insightful. Everyone he knows is alive. Hands up if you’re dead, everyone.

Fucking pranny.

No coincidence that all the health experts tell us to keep the lockdown as long as possible and all the money men tell us it should be lifted as soon as possible.

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Alan Sugar has weighed in on continuing lockdown restrictions in the UK:

Hugely insightful. Everyone he knows is alive. Hands up if you’re dead, everyone.

Fucking pranny.

He's a cunt. I mean, sure, a good friend of mine has died of covid, but I mean on general principle here.

Still funny he had the monopoly on home computers in the UK and blew it. Sir Clive Sinclairs the mad businessman the hipsters prefer...

(Hang on, I just googled him and Sir Clive is 80 next month! I thought he was Branson age...)

4 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

No coincidence that all the health experts tell us to keep the lockdown as long as possible and all the money men tell us it should be lifted as soon as possible.

There are enough health experts who are against the lockdown. Some examples would be John Ioannidis or Hendrik Streeck.

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

The rich has benefitted from Lockdown and as always it's the poorest who are punished.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2020/05/22/billionaires-zuckerberg-bezos/

https://www.ft.com/content/2fd1ea5a-1d0e-4862-a6a0-e7561550eb12

The lockdown wouldn’t have any problems if there wasn’t so much wealth disparity. Yet the wealthy keep getting richer and richer during the pandemic, which is not good. In fact, there was an article about how Jeff Bezos being a trillionaire is a good thing. Fuck that! 

Bob Seely, Conservative MP for the Isle of Wight, performed very well on Jeremy Vine earlier when discussing the UK’s (failed) track and trace app.

Seely: We have built a world-leading app.

Vine: What about the German app?

Seely: I don’t know about other countries.

• Haha 3

International flights have restarted and virus infected numbers in Europe are rising again.

Does no one see the connection?

are our lords and masters really that stupid?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

International flights have restarted and virus infected numbers in Europe are rising again.

Does no one see the connection?

are our lords and masters really that stupid?

Yes.

• Haha 1

It is now no longer a case of how many will die, it is now a case of who will die, it will take the death of someone important before these stupid people have handled this wrong

And as we have seen from the fact that no DDP pick has died of it since early April, the rich and famous are generally doing their best to avoid it (other than the odd idiot like Djokovic), and the ones who are dying are the poor and the workers who keep things going, but they won't get any headlines.

• Like 1

Covid cases worldwide have passed 10 million, and deaths have passed 500 thousand: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

(Obviously, as always, reported < actual for both stats.)

Probably Covid deaths will pass 1m before the end of the year, meaning exactly one punter will have got their prediction right, despite all the advances made with Remdesivir, dexamethasone, convalescent plasma, increased ITU capacity etc., since the daily worldwide death rate has been pretty constant around 5k per day for the last two months, and there are 187 days till the end of the year.

Coronavirus might only be pandemic one of two this year, as another virus in China is found to have pandemic potential.

I looked back at my March 21 post. I had a best case and worse case scenario. I want to go with my worst case choice.

1 to 10 million.

I think, 3 months on, I am most surprised by the fact that I could predict a million people would die in early March.

We here in Lafayette Parish, LA just got our 3,000th confirmed case today.  However, with a population of 242,000 who have never really shut down and now have 3:1 ratio unmasked to masked shoppers, we still have a mere 48 dead.  I defy any of you who live in a town of more than  25000 (much less 10x that) to achieve such a minimal death rate.

I’m assuming it’s the Tabasco we consume. 

1.27% of parish citizens infected.

0.177% death rate (48/3000).

SC

Proven round the world that warmer climates lead to fewer deaths per head of those infected so unsurprising that NO has such a low rate.

Waiting for the summer to end in northern countries (Europe) to see a huge surge if some kind of vaccine does not show up.

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

We here in Lafayette Parish, LA just got our 3,000th confirmed case today.  However, with a population of 242,000 who have never really shut down and now have 3:1 ratio unmasked to masked shoppers, we still have a mere 48 dead.  I defy any of you who live in a town of more than  25000 (much less 10x that) to achieve such a minimal death rate.

I’m assuming it’s the Tabasco we consume. 

1.27% of parish citizens infected.

0.177% death rate (48/3000).

SC

Your maths are shit Sir Creep - 48 out of 3000 is 1.6%

Your death rate as a proportion of the population is running at 198.3 per million.

Germany (one of many examples I could have used) with a population of nearly 84 million has a death rate of 109 per million (so will have many massive cities with lower death stats than Lafayette parish).

Keep taking the Tabasco...….

• Like 1