CastAway

Notable Coronavirus Victims

First UK fatality, and it's not a million miles away from me.  I recognised the photo of the hospital before I read anything.  It does not have good associations for me, to say the least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51759602

I hate that hospital because I had a job interview there once and because the site is so big and confusing it made me 20 minutes late for the interview, lol. But joy that the 1st death is near me.

Also...have a meme:

image.png.2c48dd47c9b37b57599973e294737a22.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Actually coronavirus is a matter of luck. Being here, I've seen 19 and 38 year-olds with no whatsoever issue going into a coma and still in ICU with 50% probability of survival. And I've seen 80 year olds with health issues recovering in a week. 

It is unpredictable, and that's not a valid reason to underestimate it. 

Should also point out that it's not just 'old and sick already,' it's also 'they had other underlying issues.'

Which could mean literally anything, including having some other illness as well, being pregnant, diabetic, wtv. So while it's mainly hit the really old rn, if it becomes as big as the UK government is warning it could, it won't just be the old and elderly.

I’ll basically start caring once there’s a confirmed case within a 1000 km of myself

1 hour ago, CastAway said:

Two Iranian politicians have already fallen victim. 

Also, ex-Danish international footballer Thomas Kahlenberg has caught the disease.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/03/05/thomas-kahlenberg-coronavirus-denmark

Thought a new thread dedicated to it might be useful/necessary.

I was just about to do the same thing myself.  

In a worst case scenario, we could be in for a spectacular amount of death on the DDP, given that most of the picks are ill already.  

Perhaps we should have a thread on extra curricular, where members can report as and when they are afflicted.  (So if they stop posting altogether, we'll know why) :blink:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Should also point out that it's not just 'old and sick already,' it's also 'they had other underlying issues.'

Which could mean literally anything, including having some other illness as well, being pregnant, diabetic, wtv. So while it's mainly hit the really old rn, if it becomes as big as the UK government is warning it could, it won't just be the old and elderly.

140,000 people died of measles in 2018.

I would guess, coz i'm not looking, as many if not considerably more died from flu.

Just sayin..

1 hour ago, CastAway said:

Also, ex-Danish international footballer Thomas Kahlenberg has caught the disease.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/03/05/thomas-kahlenberg-coronavirus-denmark

Not only that. Brøndby IF's assistant manager, director of board and a player is quarantined due to being close to him. Another club in Danish top tier football, Lyngby BK, has 3 of their main players in quarantine due to being in contact with Kahlenberg after the Brøndby-Lyngby match last sunday.

Well, if I catch it and die, I'd just like to say that it's been nice "knowing" you all and hopefully see you all on the other side. :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

French lawmaker Jean-Luc Reitzer has tested positive for coronavirus and is seriously ill

He is 68.

• Like 1

You lucky Brits! Someone has died of it in my small town and many more are being treated for it, but I suppose I just have strange luck.

Corona is worse than the flu because it has a 3.4% death rate (WHO says so) while the flu has a death rate 0.01-0.1%. The Flu is already under control and we have vaccines against measles or stuff like that. If the entire world gets infected we would still have around 250 million dead, making it worse than the Black Death.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, chilean way said:

Don't be too sensationalistic. He was just a mayor of a 6000 people town and, from the few things I understand, he was already suffering from cancer.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2020 at 13:15, roaming_comrade said:

If the entire world gets infected we would still have around 250 million dead, making it worse than the Black Death.

giphy-4.gif.efbc8c978bd6b0e42e8cdc56dc09987a.gif

This sounds like the sort of asinine, hysteria-stirring subheading you might find in the fucking Daily Mirror.

It's a fucking big 'if'. Now calm down, people.

EDIT: Future TQR here. ‘If’ scenario happened. Sorry. More on the next page.

Edited by TQR
Oops
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Corona is worse than the flu because it has a 3.4% death rate (WHO says so) while the flu has a death rate 0.01-0.1%. The Flu is already under control and we have vaccines against measles or stuff like that. If the entire world gets infected we would still have around 250 million dead, making it worse than the Black Death.

yeah but at time of Black Death I doubt there were 131 million new people being born every year. Also many of the 250 million are old/ill already.

You are basically talking about worldwide population growth being paused for 2 years even at these astronomical levels.

• Thanks 1

I woke up coughing in the night and was convinced that I'd got it.  :vulture:

• Haha 3

We HAVE A THREAD already for this outbreak.  Who was the asshole who launched this thread?  *looks*  @CastAway you win the March 2020 DL Dumbass Award (in fact you're a malaprop, we just call the award the 'CastAway').  Maybe you can double up next month and win back to back CastAways. 
SC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

We HAVE A THREAD already for this outbreak.  Who was the asshole who launched this thread?  *looks*  @CastAway you win the March 2020 DL Dumbass Award (in fact you're a malaprop, we just call the award the 'CastAway').  Maybe you can double up next month and win back to back CastAways. 
SC

I think it was intended for recording named deaths, but I agree it is confusing.

Yes, this thread is specifically for 'celebrity' or notable Coronavirus victims and I'll amend the title to that effect.  Not sure the condemnation of the OP is really necessary.

Edit - Done, but can't think of a witty subtitle...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

One could say Corona thread numbers are spreading rapidly across the forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Edit - Done, but can't think of a witty subtitle...

My Corona?

3 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

DEXwEEqXcAUCwTl.jpg

• Haha 1

Mohammad Farhadi ex science minster is in intensive care

Ali Khalafi deputy head of Iran's Jeduciary has died.

Fatemeh Rahbar's an Iranian MP is dead but now they're saying she's in a coma .

• Like 1