Sign in to follow this  
ladyfiona

COVID-19 - The CEO's who treat their staff badly

This is Coronavirus related. In the last week or so there have been many good deeds seen around the country and the world of companies or people who are doing good things for others, but then there are those who capitalize on others or who just don't care.

Top contenders:

• Tim Martin - Owns Wetherspoons - Didn't get a handout from the government so sacked 40,000 employees without pay and told them to go work at Tesco
  • Mike Ashley - Owns Sports Direct and thinks Boris Johnson telling people exercise is ok, means he can still have his shops open and have workers exposed to the virus. Oh and raised their prices by up to 50%.
  • Sir Phillip Green - Owns Top Shop. An hour before government announced they would pay 80% of what staff members earnt while they were in quarantine, he sacked everyone to avoid paying anyone.

Feel free to add your own.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

This is Coronavirus related. In the last week or so there have been many good deeds seen around the country and the world of companies or people who are doing good things for others, but then there are those who capitalize on others or who just don't care.

Top contenders:

• Tim Martin - Owns Wetherspoons - Didn't get a handout from the government so sacked 40,000 employees without pay and told them to go work at Tesco
  •  Mike Ashley - Owns Sports Direct and thinks Boris Johnson telling people exercise is ok, means he can still have his shops open and have workers exposed to the virus. Oh and raised their prices by up to 50%.
  •  Sir Phillip Green - Owns Top Shop. An hour before government announced they would pay 80% of what staff members earnt while they were in quarantine, he sacked everyone to avoid paying anyone.

Feel free to add your own.

Your Tim Martin summary is inaccurate. He's still furloughing staff - but not paying them until he receives the subsidy. He said those who want to leave and work in supermarkets will get first preference on jobs when they re-open. 

• Thanks 1

Britannia Hotels

Administrative error?

"Oops we didn't mean to sack you and make you homeless overnight, it was meant to be a check on your NI number...."

Utter bullshit, should read "Oops massive PR disaster back-pedal fast. Now."

Bestseller billionaire, Anders Holch Povlsen, fired 750 employees weeks after announcing 'one their best years in revenue'. (Danish link)

Even with a high salary, of 50.000DKR pr. month (which is probably less), it is estimated that keeping those people for 6 months would've costed 250 million DKR (£30m) - compared to their revenue of 2.8 billion DKR (£346m).

Anders Holch Povlsen was the guy who lost 3 children in the Sri Lanka Easter Terrorist Attack, last year.

Conversely, that biatch of a barmaid who looked at me for a solid ten minutes, intermittently playing with her phone while I had an empty glass in front of me at the bar I was at a few weeks ago is out of a job!

Sometimes, the arrogance of the employee needs to be mentioned also!

:lol:

• Haha 1

how about people who treat their entire country horrifically. A la the orange twat

He says that "certain people" would like the US "not to open so quickly - would like it to do financially poorly, because they think that would do well at defeating me at the polls."

He tells a reporter: "There are people in your profession that would like that to happen... there are people in your profession that write fake news."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

how about people who treat their entire country horrifically. A la the orange twat

Honestly could the USA collapse? I'm starting to wonder. Several places in the USA are going to be worse than Italy the healthcare may collapse. No help for those unemployed and US stock market down nearly 33% in a month.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/25/us-unemployment-coronavirus-hospitality-food-industries-claims

• Sad 1

I'm actually starting to think the stock market has hit the bottom. People slowly get used to the death rate and the fact that hospitals are under strain. It ceases to shock and people look to getting back to work.

• Like 1

GameStop declares that it is an essential service, to stay open.

The irony being, of course, that they are one of the first companies that springs to mind when I think of a "useless" company AND a "failing" company (everybody buys digitally now)

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I'm actually starting to think the stock market has hit the bottom. People slowly get used to the death rate and the fact that hospitals are under strain. It ceases to shock and people look to getting back to work.

The stock market probably won't get much lower as it's adjusted to the new reality now. 

41 minutes ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

Ftse100 down another 130 today after the recovery. Could be profit taking or a Dead Bat Bounce.

Keeping an eye on day to day stock movement is futile and only likely to cause heart attacks. 

If your investing now its to get profits when the economy re opens, some people will have cash grabbed based on yesterday's bounce but there idiots. The real money is after the lockdown ends.