The Old Crem

Bobby Charlton

Absolutely gutted 

• Like 1

Denis Law and Gianni Rivera are the last sixties Ballon D’or winners left. 

Gianni Rivera and Gigi Riva are the only runners up left. 

Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, Franz Beckenbauer, Dragan Džajić the only three third place players left. 

Many nominees survive.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RIP Sir Bobby

• Facepalm 1

With the passing of Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst being the last 66' Survivor it got me thinking who is the next great footballer from the Englan team who would generate the same level of coverage. George Best might have been but he has gone already. The only name I really think of from my childhood is Kevin Keegan 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 20:00, time said:

No-one ever mentions his managerial career...

It was pretty brief and not successful.

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

it got me thinking who is the next great footballer from the England team who would generate the same level of coverage. George Best might have been

George Best was Northern Irish !

• Facepalm 2

Sort of, related but the tributes and coverage have brought their other brother - Tommy - into the light. He appeared in the recent(ish) documentary on Jack. On the evidence of the coverage Tommy's clearly got his marbles, and the press know where he lives. So, liklely a line or two in the national press here and there when we lose him which is all you'd need for a q/o

_131503550_mirrorfront23oct_page-0001.jp

His former Man United teammate Pat Crerand, 84 now, signing the book of condolence at Old Trafford, 

On 22/10/2023 at 22:24, Bibliogryphon said:

With the passing of Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst being the last 66' Survivor it got me thinking who is the next great footballer from the Englan team who would generate the same level of coverage. George Best might have been but he has gone already. The only name I really think of from my childhood is Kevin Keegan 

Sir-Alex-Ferguson.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b63

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Sad little revelation - Sir Bobby died after falling and hitting his head on a windowsill and radiator in a nursing home. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67285478

I mean his initial cause of death was given as complications of advanced dementia.

Is falling over and hitting your head really a more sad way to go than having a long term illness that's so advanced your body can no longer function, you can't breathe or eat, and you basically slowly suffocate to death?

I'd take the fall any day.

Debatable if he died from the fall in terms of DDP terms. He was taken to hospital a while after and was put on End of life care and died 5 days later as he broke his ribs in the fall (No mention of hitting his head). 

Are inquests standard for all falls in care homes? Don’t think that’s the case for falls at own home. . An elderly relative died a few years back in hospital after a fall down the stairs in her home (And she was in otherwise good health for her age of 89) and I don’t think their was an inquest 

I think I am leaning towards "natural" death for the DDP, though I guess the official reason might count as unnatural. We've had this discussion before, falls happen at old age and they often trigger the final decline - but may also be a sign that this decline has already begun. I suspect we've had lots of these cases before, that went unnoticed. I kind of feel that death needs to be more immediate to be unnatural, but by precedence, we've counted falls as unnatrual deaths as long as death happens "in the same year". For example, we've had falls late in one year and then people being picked for the new game and dying from it, after being in a coma for quite some time, for example. These ones never counted.

In Scotland we call that "taking a header".

Ironic, really.

• Like 2

Actually considering he was put on the end of life care basically because he was old it can be argued he was euthanised/murdered.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 2

14 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Funeral tomorrow. Could be good for deadpooling ideas. Be interesting to see who attends. 

Why are the funerals three weeks after his death ? Is there a reason ?

8 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

That’s the norm in the UK. 

1 minute ago, Perhaps said:
10 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

It is if there's going to be a cremation as the crems are usually booked up a few weeks in advance, at least for the more popular times.

It's often possible to jump the queue by settling for an early or late slot.  If there's going to be a service elsewhere, it makes sense to hold it before or after the cremation and not have people go to the crem at all. 

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

It is if there's going to be a cremation as the crems are usually booked up a few weeks in advance, at least for the more popular times.

It's often possible to jump the queue by settling for an early or late slot.  If there's going to be a service elsewhere, it makes sense to hold it before or after the cremation and not have people go to the crem at all. 

Even a burial was a three week wait last year. And its much worse if the person dies during Christmas or Easter, considerable backlog. We had a five week wait between death and cremation when a family member died during Easter week as there were too many deaths in that fortnight for the system to deal with. (And I mean fully booked, no ability to jump the queue, every time slot taken.)

29 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Well in England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland is still like the Republic of Ireland I think with quick funerals. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Funeral tomorrow. Could be good for deadpooling ideas. Be interesting to see who attends. 

Will be surprised if Denis Law appears. 

Alex Ferguson was at Old Trafford yesterday and looked well but it might be good soon after his wife’s death for a funeral for him,  

• Like 1