Sign in to follow this  
Weebl

Badly timed deaths

2 hours ago, heartytones said:

Chris Cornell and Chester  Bennington's death still haunts me up to this day. 

Wrong thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26,592 actors with IMDb entries deaths were overshadowed, eh, next Saturday ? after Kim tested a bit more...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRECDjSZtSi_U4Mc_0RRou

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, heartytones said:

Chris Cornell and Chester  Bennington's death still haunts me up to this day. 

Maybe you need to get out a bit more?

• Like 2

I think it's pretty fair to add Jana Novotna's name to this list, dying the same day as Charles Manson.  Along with anyone else who's death will be eclipsed by Manson's before this day ends.
SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I think it's pretty fair to add Jana Novotna's name to this list, dying the same day as Charles Manson.  Along with anyone else who's death will be eclipsed by Manson's before this day ends.
SC

David Cassidy will eclipse them all if he dies by tonight.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Manson is not particularly important to me.  His death is easily eclipsed by Novotna's, especially as I didn't know she was ill.

• Thanks 1

Manson was badly timed, if he'd held on for the new Tarrantino movie......

On 11/20/2017 at 08:09, Toast said:

Manson is not particularly important to me.  His death is easily eclipsed by Novotna's, especially as I didn't know she was ill.

You know that's now how this thread works, right?  There is zero subjectivity in't.  I may (and don't) give two shits about Michael Jackson, and feel a mite poorly that Ms. Fawcett died.  My feeling on the matter aren't relevant, it's the worldwide scope that dictates.
That said, in reality it was perhaps the biggest day of record with the incredible (and varied) clout of Manson-Novotna-Reese (and throw Mel Tillis in the same 24 hour news cycle), so I guess the guy who lost out was the dude who played Grandpa Huxtable lol.  
SC

No, you're right, it's not the point of the thread, which was originally to pinpoint deaths that were overshadowed by disasters or other big news stories - not necessarily other celebrity deaths.

Hey, if you thought Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis picked the wrong day to die, think of poor old Birdman of Alcatraz. Dead a few hours earlier and did anyone notice?

Speaking of, the interesting thing for me is that  Huxley's death, Lewis's death and Kennedy getting shot all roughly happened in the same 15 minute period. Reaper got trigger happy that afternoon.

On 20/11/2017 at 12:11, Sir Creep said:

I think it's pretty fair to add Jana Novotna's name to this list, dying the same day as Charles Manson.  Along with anyone else who's death will be eclipsed by Manson's before this day ends

Actually, I think Jana's death has eclipsed Manson's a bit, especially here in the UK. Manson is more culturally relevant (death of the 60s dream and all that) but he didn't win the hearts of the tennis viewing public by crying on Centre Court, did he? 

I know it's not the real subject of the thread but I'm leaving it here as I haven't been this upset about the death of someone I didn't know (though saw Jana numerous times at Wimbledon and Eastbourne, plus she once read out my email on Radio 5 so it's fair to say we were like *that*) since Victoria Wood last year.

Slightly more on topic, in between the usual Diana/Mother Theresa and Farrah Fawcett/Michael Jackson mentions I'm surprised no-one's offered up...

Ian Richardson and Anna Nicole Smith.

• Like 1

Sergei Prokofiev's death was somewhat overshadowed by that of Joe Stalin; both died on 5 March 1953.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time said:

Sergei Prokofiev's death was somewhat overshadowed by that of Joe Stalin; both died on 5 March 1953.

That's great if you're a Ruskie...... seeing as you didnt' mention Herman Mankiewicz on the same day as above.   I'm sure that really put Prokofiev to Page A2 of papers in the States. 

We would be remiss beyond remiss to not mention Paul Bearer 5 years ago (58)

Paul_Bearer_Hall_of_Fame.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That's great if you're a Ruskie...... seeing as you didnt' mention Herman Mankiewicz on the same day as above.   I'm sure that really put Prokofiev to Page A2 of papers in the States. 

Not sure what a hamlet in Scotland has to do with things, but, whatever. I didn't realise I was obliged to mention every death that was badly timed.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

We would be remiss beyond remiss to not mention Paul Bearer 5 years ago (58)

Paul_Bearer_Hall_of_Fame.jpg

Did you mean to post that in the death anniversary thread? 

While I was writing this, I thought it might be a good idea to create a topic about the worst timing to pass on. A shitty idea according to some, a marvelous one according to me ! 

Anyway, here's the thread where you can post the people who decided to die at the worst timing possible : one day before their birthday, on their birthday, one day before their wedding etc… 

Also, I thought we can put people who had the wrong idea to pass away on a peculiar date : I was thinking about 4 dates especially, the 25th (or 24th ?) of December, the 31st of December, the 1st of January, and the 1st of April. We could resurrect this topic every year to list people who died on those days and probably ruin their relatives' festivity. 

Finally, feel free to post the people who died on your birthday (in one single editable post), as I can't see anywhere to list those one. 

Hope you like this idea ! 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Vaguely reminiscent of the diversion a thread took on here five years ago when, under the old DDP rules, a unique joker who died an unnatural death under the age of 30 on their birthday which happened to be the 13th of the month would get you 50 points for a single death. We didn't find anyone who matched all criteria, but two people who died unnatural deaths on their birthday under the age of 30 were the outlaw Sam Bass (injuries sustained in a gunfight aged 27) and baseball player Bob Moose (car crash on his 29th birthday).

28 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Vaguely reminiscent of the diversion a thread took on here five years ago when, under the old DDP rules, a unique joker who died an unnatural death under the age of 30 on their birthday which happened to be the 13th of the month would get you 50 points for a single death. We didn't find anyone who matched all criteria, but two people who died unnatural deaths on their birthday under the age of 30 were the outlaw Sam Bass (injuries sustained in a gunfight aged 27) and baseball player Bob Moose (car crash on his 29th birthday).

Was that really 5 years ago?  Of course the scenario I mused about will never happen as everyone thinks about unique jokers and then picks someone off the Drop 40... If it did happen it'd be a fluke to one of those lowly teams like the reality TV ones or the rookie draft one...

There was another thread similar to this about badly timed deaths. Although it was started when Roger Moore died on the same day as some terror attack, and 4 years on I forget which terror attack but remember Roger Moore dying, so it was a bad example.

6 minutes ago, msc said:

There was another friend similar to this about badly timed deaths. Although it was started when Roger Moore died on the same day as some terror attack, and 4 years on I forget which terror attack but remember Roger Moore dying, so it was a bad example.

Dying around the same time as a bigger name has also been discussed.

Michael Jackson > Farrah Fawcett

Diana Princess of Wales > several others inc Mother Teresa, Jeffrey Bernard,  Sir Georg Solti etc

Well, Alim Hayatou, Cameroon's Secretary of State in the Cameroon Ministry of Public Health in charge of epidemics and pandemics died in April 2021 during a pandemic. Not a good time for someone in that kind of a position to die.

Also, assasinations of people aged 80+ annoy me greatly, especially assasinations of unhealthy elders. For example when 1944-1945 El Salvador president Osmín Aguirre y Salinas was assinated in 1977 who was assasinated at the age of 87 while being taken to a hospital. Not a great guy, but whoever assasinated him could have just waited a few days, weeks or months and he would have died of natural causes.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Dying around the same time as a bigger name has also been discussed.

Michael Jackson > Farrah Fawcett

Diana Princess of Wales > several others inc Mother Teresa, Jeffrey Bernard,  Sir Georg Solti etc

Yeah, I meant "thread", not "friend", d'oh. :banghead:

I do remember Mother Teresa dying because the front page of the paper had the Pope crying about it, next to a picture of a bullfighter goring. This was on holiday in Germany and the non-Teresa headline read  "Finally the bull wins!" :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

There was another thread similar to this about badly timed deaths. Although it was started when Roger Moore died on the same day as some terror attack, and 4 years on I forget which terror attack but remember Roger Moore dying, so it was a bad example.

Roger Moore died the day after the Manchester Arena bombing I think. Similarly Amy Winehouse dying the day after (before?) yr Norwegian Nazi lad went crazy on that island. 

We can quickly mention all the usual names dropped in these threads: CS Lewis and Aldous Huxley (died the same day as JFK) Sergei Prokofiev (same day as Stalin) and Rudyard Kipling (George V). Indeed, PM Stanley Baldwin mentioning to Edward VIII "hey, did you hear Rudyard Kipling died" the day after his father carked it meant the pair never enjoyed a particularly cordial relationship.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, arghton said:

Also, assasinations of people aged 80+ annoy me greatly, especially assasinations of unhealthy elders. For example when 1944-1945 El Salvador president Osmín Aguirre y Salinas was assinated in 1977 who was assasinated at the age of 87 while being taken to a hospital. Not a great guy, but whoever assasinated him could have just waited a few days, weeks or months and he would have died of natural causes.

Similarly, Italian author Mario Monicelli committing suicide aged 95 just seems like impatience.