The Old Crem

How’s Your 2022 Shortlist going?

I will start with mine - it’s not going to be dramatic and I doubt any remotely surprising picks will make  either my main team or my them teams. 

How is everyone else’s going ?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I will start with mine - it’s not going to be dramatic and I doubt any remotely surprising picks will make  either my main team or my them teams. 

How is everyone else’s going ?

I work on mine throughout the year but I have recently decided to seperate out my shadow list and my predict the official list as there are a lot of names on my shadow list that I do not think the committee would consider

prime example being Timothy Dudley-Smith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I work on mine throughout the year but I have recently decided to seperate out my shadow list and my predict the official list as there are a lot of names on my shadow list that I do not think the committee would consider

prime example being Timothy Dudley-Smith

Ah tell out your soul, the greatness of the shortlist?

:D

My shortlist are mostly all dead now, tbh. 

• Like 1

I'll be starting research for my 1986 TOTP theme team in a week or so - several names are picking themselves, but I'm never sure they will all make the starting line tbh.

My comedy team will probably (with a couple of changes) be exactly the same as this year - a total strike out this year (despite some previous picks expiring - so personal survivors list will look better - or should that be worse?).

My main team - haven't decided. Do I go with some high profile popular picks or continue my desperate attempt to get 20 uniques? 

All the usual pointlessness - I don't participate in all the who might be dying forums, tweetblasts, internet dooberries, blah blah blah, in desperate attempts to score points. 

Had a year off from most of the games this year, which was good. I'll probably be back for some.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll be starting research for my 1986 TOTP theme team in a week or so - several names are picking themselves, but I'm never sure they will all make the starting line tbh.

My comedy team will probably (with a couple of changes) be exactly the same as this year - a total strike out this year (despite some previous picks expiring - so personal survivors list will look better - or should that be worse?).

My main team - haven't decided. Do I go with some high profile popular picks or continue my desperate attempt to get 20 uniques? 

All the usual pointlessness - I don't participate in all the who might be dying forums, tweetblasts, internet dooberries, blah blah blah, in desperate attempts to score points. 

Had a year off from most of the games this year, which was good. I'll probably be back for some.

It will be my intention to run 20/20 + 2 which is still proving to be enormous fun for a handful of players but that is the only game I run that is a calendar year. However both my other games are one hit away from ending so we could easily be in to a Silver Screen or Scavenger Hunt preseason at the end of the year (or we could still be here in 12 months)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It will be my intention to run 20/20 + 2 which is still proving to be enormous fun for a handful of players but that is the only game I run that is a calendar year.

This is great news, @Bibliogryphon.
20/20 + 1 is my favourite pool.
If my bad health gives me a break... we'll see each other again this time in the next edition.
I'd rather play with you than anybody else.
Thank you for your effort. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing as a co-host will add an interesting change of mind to my DDP selection, it will make me gravitate far more to that "ooh, I want to pick them" name over the bland guaranteed points. Johnny Gilbert will join Jimmy Carter as a TJS bedblocker until death, for one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It will be my intention to run 20/20 + 2 which is still proving to be enormous fun for a handful of players but that is the only game I run that is a calendar year.

Bar taking the Crowdsourced off Joey's hands, which isn't really a game, you'll understand if I have no intention to run any deadpools for a while after January 1st! :D

• Like 1

As for previous years, my shortlist doesn't exist; I'm consistent like that.

• Like 2

Earlier today, I figuratively killed my planned theme team. Having now followed the scene for quite some time, I had to conclude that drag queens are nowhere near the fatality rates of wrestlers, or D-list reality TV stars.

But I do have a third team planned, kind of a surplus name dump. My C-team this year is now at 10 hits. Not bad, but the B-team, sadly, disappointed.

• Like 1

It's rather long at the moment.   But I was surprised given the vast array and variety of names in the Derby Dead Pool how many of my names were not  picked this year and are potentially  unique picks for me next year... and I am not just talking about obscure  names either. Although  naturally  I can't say much more and give a heads up to others!!

I need to wait a bit longer though because I still have high hopes some more names will be hits this year and free up more room and space so I have less tricky decisions to make.

• Like 1

There's about 45 entries in my short-list at the moment. I need to go through them all at some point to make sure that they're still alive, and that the reason I've picked them is still relevant. I've a suspicion one of my picks died back in 2020, but haven't found any confirmation. Another pick is a major name - I found some footage from earlier this year of them looking very ill, but they seem to have improved somewhat since. 

I had a theme team lined up too - unfortunately there's fewer than 20 who qualify for the list now, and it's unlikely that anyone else will make the list before next year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JQW said:

There's about 45 entries in my short-list at the moment. I need to go through them all at some point to make sure that they're still alive, and that the reason I've picked them is still relevant. I've a suspicion one of my picks died back in 2020, but haven't found any confirmation. Another pick is a major name - I found some footage from earlier this year of them looking very ill, but they seem to have improved somewhat since. 

I had a theme team lined up too - unfortunately there's fewer than 20 who qualify for the list now, and it's unlikely that anyone else will make the list before next year.

I enter three teams in the Derby Dead Pool  so I need 60 names and have nearly 90 but that doesn't include any names I picked this year who are still alive and who  I might like to carry over to next year like Christina Crawford  and Ronnie Knight. 

The Dowager Duchess of Grafton is giving me a real dilemma  now she's 101 and has been pretty much a stalwart of my teams!

• Like 1

My list is quite long, spanning many many notebook pages, and I'll have to start narrowing down soon.  Also, need a good theme team idea for this upcoming year, if anyone has any suggestions.

8 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

My list is quite long, spanning many many notebook pages, and I'll have to start narrowing down soon.  Also, need a good theme team idea for this upcoming year, if anyone has any suggestions.

People who have been the killer in an Agatha Christie adaptation will be free, as I wont be reusing the Curtain theme team.

Oh lord, I have to do these again now, don't I?

sigh

• Haha 1

My 2022 shortlist is, as ever, due to be constructed on the last week of the year. You can sod spending months rifling through hundreds of lines of notes to absolute high heaven.

I’ll be doing 2 or 3 DDP entries. A serious attempt, a refreshed Punt Pool entry and I might come up with a theme team.

Other than that, I will only be creating one 50-name “shadow” list, made to Iist-worthy fame standards (so no arghton-esque  names).

I've been keeping track of my list and been compiling a list throughout the year, I only enter the DDP consistently 'competitively' 

Biggest thing on my list seems to be lots of cancer remissions. Bless their souls, but it does make me think so many young picks are a waste with modern medicine. 

• Like 1

Harry Whittington (the guy Dick Cheney shot in 2006) will be 95 next year.

Anyone think he's notable enough?

He can't have much more in him than Cheney himself.

On 05/11/2021 at 18:46, Salmon Mousse said:

Following on from Dean Stockwell's death, I suggest a Theme Team called Beverly Hills Drop, featuring the actors from the Beverly Hills movies. (see Dead of 2021). ;)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Following on from Dean Stockwell's death, I suggest a Theme Team called Beverly Hills Drop, featuring the actors from the Beverly Hills movies. (see Dead of 2021). ;)

Worth winning the next round of Scavenger Hunt Bingo for?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Worth winning the next round of Scavenger Hunt Bingo for?

I'm still zero for all on that game. And loving it, ha! :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm still zero for all on that game. And loving it, ha! :lol:

Saving your ammunition for the next round

• Like 2

On 05/11/2021 at 14:55, msc said:

People who have been the killer in an Agatha Christie adaptation will be free, as I wont be reusing the Curtain theme team.

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

As much classic pop culture nonsense as I consume, these two areas are both blind spots to me

• Haha 2

Next year will be my 10th and final year in the DDP. :ghost6: I began deathpooling because I like competitions in general, and because I enjoy reading about/discussing celebrities. However, the researching illnesses side of it was ironically never really my cup of tea. For example, finding out whether someone's cancer is at stage 1, 42, or whatever. Or maintaining a long/shortlist in any other month than December.

And all of that is reflected in my poor DDP track record over the years. I guess part of it is also because I ended up not wanting my teams to look like everyone else's. You know the deja vu feeling you get when you read every team's entries. I think you can liken it to a meal with ingredients: The better the ingredients are, the better the meal will become. But if you start experimenting with too many strange foods , what comes out of the oven might turn out a complete disaster, even if original. Did you know that 2/180 of my total main DDP team picks have been unique hits (plus 3 LoTLs and 2 already dead)?* Lol. :lol:

All of this to say that maybe I will go more mainstream in DDP 2022. Just like my debut DDP 2013, although that lot had a super high average age. Perhaps I will still find a few interesting under-the-radar picks in late December, but I will only select them if I feel that it's worth the risk. Rest can be dumped to the bunny pool or Deathrace. The latter one, I only entered once because it usually ends before you've even started sobering up from New Year's Eve...

As for theme teams, I won't be using the Disney one anymore. Perhaps an inventor team, though those are tricky because you rarely have those Gyro Gearloose type of inventors who single-handedly come up with something brand new. It's mostly engineers who have patents for improving something that only those in that field can comprehend. -_-

Anyway, best of luck to you all in the future DDPs. To be more specific, I mean the DDP 2023 and beyond, not the coming year. :evil2:

*My unique hits were Lennart Johansson & Princess Christina of Netherlands (both DDP 2019 coincidentally). The ones who got Eleanor Rigbied were Magnus Härenstam (DDP 2015), Robert Raiford (DDP 2017) & Christie Blatchford (DDP 2020). The ones who were already dead when picked are Algimantas Dailide & Leo Sharp (both DDP 2017 coincidentally). The curious thing about Sharp is that Clint fucking Eastwood directed and starred in movie based on his life the year after.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1