msc

How's Your 2023 Shortlist Looking?

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I wonder if the abundance of terminal diagnoses is the predicted cancer wave post-corona. But then many of the names in circulation have had the cancer for years, so it would not be cases of missed diagnoses, but rather neglected treatment. 

Maybe. Celebrities might be less affected by it compared to ordinary folk as private healthcare was less disrupted and many celebs use private healthcare.

My shortlist is shit. I can only think of a couple of cancer names as I am out of the loop. 

• Like 1

I still need to find a way to sub in Roberta Flack and Jonnie Irwin. Is Attenborough worth the drop? I would be kicking myself for a long while if he joins Poitier and Gorbachev among my misses. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2022 at 15:14, YoungWillz said:

I have 17 names for the TOTP team, before researching a single name. That might change, of course. Did you know that Andy Taylor had left Duran Duran by the time they reached the charts in 1987? Lawdy, lock unlocked! 

Apart from Tottenham Hotspur's FA Cup team (not researched yet), I have 32 names for TOTP 1987. *sigh*

So I'll have a minimum of 9 to excise, and that causes me problems to decide who is more unwell imo. :reading-glasses::sherlock:

well, I found 4 new names never mentioned here and quite young that might score some points in several pools. 2 of them were already some personal favorite which I never mentioned here I think

1. member of a well known group who has cancer and is only in his 50's. 

2. former TV presenter diagnosed with dementia with Lewy Bodies several years ago and in poor poor health. 

3. former presidential candidate who underwent 4 heart surgeries this year

4. former TV presenter, convicted for sexual harassment, obese, underwent surgery for heart problem some years ago and was on his deathbed back then. Curiously recovered but in very poor health

• Like 1

Had just about settled on my Oldies team for DDP 2023 when one of the subs appeared on the TV looking even frailer than they usually do.

Now something's similar has happened with the main team.

• Like 1

My two theme teams are done and I’ll send them soon. Well, one of them is just Punt Pool picks, so not strictly a theme team, but it’s done (because they all survived so it’s just the fucking same as last year). The other one is a replacement for Schaferknackered team, a theme I may revisit in future but I’m trying something new (and most likely fruitless again) this year.

My main team is provisionally sorted too, but I’m not sending it yet. Just incase innit. Might retire the Quite Unwell Illustrious Mortals name too, we’ll see.

As for pools based hereabouts, I may well throw together a Scavenger team after I shut work down for the year. My shadow list is pretty much complete and will be my entries for the Shadow Deathlist competition, the Prediction game, the Crowdsourced list, half of it for Hare’s and I’ll probs enter it into DBN too despite the lack of obscure, unique, researched or dead cert names putting me most probably out of contention before it’s even started.

• Like 1

My main list still isn't finalised - I've had to drop one entry this week as they're clearly not as ill as I thought they were. Another has gone as it seems that they've died some time ago.

• Like 2

Another one that I will probably include in several pools : a french politicien Who will most likely commit suicide soon. Risky but given how this are going, I can see only one way out : death !

Yet another pick is dead - I've had more drop out of my shortlist in the past few weeks than the total hits I've had in this year's list!

Damn I found some really great picks lately, I Can’t wait to unveil them in the beginning of january, I hesitated to post a few of them here as there seems to be no mention of them at all. Here they are :

- 20´s athlete with cancer

- french actor waiting for a transplant

- classical music person with unspecified neurodegenerative illness

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Hope it’s not Andrew McAslan because he is very much FFBI and was disallowed last year.

His very good but far from professional athlete times are here

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=63315

No no, much more professionnel that McAslan ! Not much News about the stage of the cancer though but may be a good shot 

• Like 2

Just learnt about my aunt that a friend of our family, well known french journalist has terminal cancer aged 30’s : maybe some points for ao and DDP

OK, not to psyche myself too much out of picking a decent team, but my prediction for 2023 - without naming specific names. I think this will be a very tight DDP year, with several teams having a legit shot at winning right until the wire. There'll definitely be one very casual team among the top 5, maybe even the podium, while there'll also be several "name" DDP teams that have nightmare seasons. The fact that there's, to borrow a term from fantasy football, a template forming means that it's going to be down to either a) the Bilton/Doherty/Alagiah-style picks that have been circling for years and which finally die in 2023 b) the ability to take a brave stand and not pick one of the obvious names (for instance, if 2022 was 2023 I could easily see it being won by someone who didn't pick Frank Field when everyone else in the top 20 had them). 

I've got a 20 I'm happy with but I keep seeing those obvious names and going "well maybe Gianluca Vialli can manage another 12 months in palliative care..... could I replace him with this South African soap opera star?"

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There'll definitely be one very casual team among the top 5, maybe even the podium

Spade crushingly devalues my winning team performance before I’ve even finalised it! 

Actually I’d been thinking similarly but from a different angle - if I’ve managed to find 10 corpses out of 20 picks then for someone like Spade you must be throwing 6 month life expectancies onto the subs bench - feels like the ‘20’ could be on this year.

I dropped Quincy Jones and Dame Edna to include Shane McGowan and Raoni in my international list.

I dropped Edith Cresson and Paul Barril to include François Cheng and Mona Ozouf in my french one. 

I really hope these two choices will be successful. I had to cut Linda Nolan, Ali Khameney, James Earl Jones, Constantin II, Carol Burnett, Putin, Yoko, Isabel Peron and Lee Majors because of lack of space…

Maybe I'll ultimately put one of these mentioned one in at the last minute… maybe it'll be Linda Nolan… maybe Isabel Peron… 

Ngl, there’s a handful of names I fully expected to pick from the outset on my DDP team but when actually putting my team together it’s looking like they’ll be sitting out. Could definitely rue not picking them 

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 16:13, TheSpinosaurus said:

5. Somewhat well known UK author who is the spouse of a celebrity journalist.

This one I couldn't work out, and I ought to have.

On 22/11/2022 at 15:50, msc said:

Also, my longlist of Notable Oldies was long enough, and now I've stumbled across a very notable person surprisingly alive (they were interviewed) and much older than I thought, and even more surprisingly, has never been picked in the DDP before. Almost too good not to use, that one.

Oh, and one last thing just to annoy the 10 people who will now Google for 20 minutes trying to work out who it is. :lol: Turns out one of my Deathrace only names is likely the Isabel Torres QO-lock of 2023 instead. 

Oldies - Moggi

Torres - Mel Dzelde, who then died, and afaik, didn't obit. 

On 15/12/2022 at 13:40, msc said:

Had just about settled on my Oldies team for DDP 2023 when one of the subs appeared on the TV looking even frailer than they usually do.

Derek Malcolm, who has a semi-regular spot on sky Arts to compare and contrast appearances.

On 29/12/2022 at 12:22, Spade_Cooley said:

I've got a 20 I'm happy with but I keep seeing those obvious names and going "well maybe Gianluca Vialli can manage another 12 months in palliative care..... could I replace him with this South African soap opera star?"

Didn't even last 6 days.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 10:42, msc said:

Derek Malcolm, who has a semi-regular spot on sky Arts to compare and contrast appearances.

Presumably this Derek Malcolm, who's now dead, 91.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, time said:

Presumably this Derek Malcolm, who's now dead, 91.

Yes, he was looking very frail lately. DDP pick for my notable oldies team.

• Like 2

I need some help while making my 2024 list : should I follow the english rules and play as if I were english putting names I barely know as a french person (Jonnie Irwin, Frank Field, Esther Rantzen) or should I play as a french person following the english rules of obit and thus avoiding picks who won't obit in french medias ? That's the question I ask myself every year while making my lists and I'd really appreciate your point of view on it :) 

If you look at my current international list, I chose the latter option and the only pick I took risk with was James Whale but I don't know what to think for next year

12 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I need some help while making my 2024 list : should I follow the english rules and play as if I were english putting names I barely know as a french person (Jonnie Irwin, Frank Field, Esther Rantzen) or should I play as a french person following the english rules of obit and thus avoiding picks who won't obit in french medias ? That's the question I ask myself every year while making my lists and I'd really appreciate your point of view on it :) 

If you look at my current international list, I chose the latter option and the only pick I took risk with was James Whale but I don't know what to think for next year

I think for your personal shadow list go with the names that will mean the most for yourself  because these are unscored and only for personal satisfaction

Obviously by entering a list in the crowdsourced group you will be influencing the future direction of names discussed on this site so it is a chance to champion your own picks but when it comes to Predict the List games you will need to put yourself into the mind of the committee so your national perspective will be less helpful here

• Like 2

Hmm. Well, as there is no How's Your 2024 Shortlist thread as yet, I'll slip this here.

I'm almost finished my preliminary research for my 2024 TOTP theme team (1988 Hits). On the face of it, I'm in trouble. There are so many options to pick from I just know whichever way I jump, the Reaper will go the other way and finish off a huge name which I'll miss.

I've been lucky with that team to have had a hit a year. I'm worried. :smoking-smiley: :reading-glasses:

• Like 2