28 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Actually he didn't. 

He was challenged on his own tax plans which would mean income tax would rise under the Tories, but said he didn't recognise that figure. Also said he had not seen the analysis which showed the overall tax burden rising - this is the fucking Prime Minister, who must know these things.

Instant reaction - 36% say Sunak won, 64% say Starmer won.

That's funny, on the ITV interview, when challenged about the veracity of his £2k claim, he said he was known as the man on top of all the details. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

That's funny, on the ITV interview, when challenged about the veracity of his £2k claim, he said he was known as the man of top of all the details. :rolleyes:

Sunak already preparing for his job on California's T.W.A.T. Radio. :lol:

• Haha 1

The contempt for the Tories is absolutely clear, comes through in the way audience interact with Sunak e.g mockery, laughter and pure exasperation. However, whilst people are prepared to vote Labour to get rid of the Tories after 14 years and all those broken promises, 49% of the public think Starmer will be a bad Prime Minister. 

So people are absolutely fed up, they’re going to vote Labour, but within a year when nothings has changed (and taxes are likely increased - council tax and fuel duty to be specific), people will fold their arms, look at Labour and say well you’re a pile of shite too. 

Question being if that does happen, people don’t trust the Tories, let down by Labour, where do they turn? 

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

The contempt for the Tories is absolutely clear, comes through in the way audience interact with Sunak e.g mockery, laughter and pure exasperation. However, whilst people are prepared to vote Labour to get rid of the Tories after 14 years and all those broken promises, 49% of the public think Starmer will be a bad Prime Minister. 

So people are absolutely fed up, they’re going to vote Labour, but within a year when nothings has changed (and taxes are likely increased - council tax and fuel duty to be specific), people will fold their arms, look at Labour and say well you’re a pile of shite too. 

Question being if that does happen, people don’t trust the Tories, let down by Labour, where do they turn? 

I suspect Reform will be the very big beneficiaries but on the left the Greens might get a bit as well from voters who Farage would never appeal to. 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Scotland learnt the lesson of the broken big two parties a long time ago. (Not saying the SNP are in a good place now, but for a long time the Scots have looked on in horror at Lab/Con governments).

Question really is - does England have a third way? That used to be the Liberals/LibDems. But I'd argue a total splintering of support at the ballot box is on the cards next time round, unless there is a party which can draw the country together. It's so bloody broken, everything is so broken it's a long road to recovery for the UK - if that still exists by 2029.

Coincidentally, was at a local environmental meeting tonight and both potential winners to be our next MP showed up - not summat that's been notable before. 

Time was, around here, a pig in a suit with a Conservative rosette would have been enough. 

Now, apparently, it's too close to call - a few weeks back even the tactical voting sites had it down as Tory hold, but even that wisdom may now be under threat. 

Oh aye, taking a few days off most stuff - see yers next week

• Like 1

Meantime, Jeremy Corbyn has been out and about in his constituency with a damning indictment of Starmer and Sunak.

Did the Stormtroopers want to find Luke Skywalker on Tatooine? - Quora

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

You think the public, who've seen this country dismantled piece by piece since 2010, are expecting Labour to fix it inside 12 months? If that's the case they deserve all the misery they get. Starmer's whole pitch has been it's going to take time, at least a Parliament, probably 2. And even I'm not sure how there are any quick fixes to this. And we really need to start having grown-up conversations about the future of this country, rather than knee-jerk reactionary responses to realistic issues we face, whether that be immigration, climate change, the NHS or taxation.

As for where we end up in such a scenario? Simple, we end up with a form of proportional representation and follow the same coalition model the rest of the world has already discovered. No more Labour or Tory governments, instead we have the rainbow coalitions of Lab-Lib-Green or Tory-Lib-Reform or whatever other parties start to get a foothold in such a brave new world.

I do not see how Farage and Reform earn a majority under a First Past the Post system, regardless of Europe's move to the right. The Tories and Reform could merge, but the One Nationers nationwide are not going to vote for Farage. Maybe the great Liberal revival will emerge.

It is worth noting that while some of this is novel, plenty of it is not new. Nick Robinson on the Today podcast quoted some figures about trust in politics: people were asked whether politicians were out for themselves, their party or their country. A third of people said politicians were out for their country, half of them said politicians were out for themselves or their party. Sound familiar? That poll was conducted in 1944, during World War Two when Churchill was Prime Minister heading a National Government. The people have never trusted politicians. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, En Passant said:

The idea of 5 years of governance by whoever has the better sound bite on any given day is scary.

Shouting matches don't interest me any more than vox-pops do, so I don't watch them.

I do watch things such as this.

There should be somebody asking both of these parties - as forcefully as  "But did you threaten to overrule him?" - but replaced with "Where is the money coming from?"

Image.jpeg.ba96817cc246275afe9cabd3caed6844.jpeg

On 10/06/2024 at 17:22, Bibliogryphon said:

Kettering is my constituency

Previously it has been an early morning declaration. Don't know why it was last time

I have seen some data suggesting that it is vulnerable

Labour confirm they support the Voter ID rules but would seek to amend them to extend the amount of eligible ID’s. 

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Image.jpeg.ba96817cc246275afe9cabd3caed6844.jpeg

FB_IMG_1718265769229.jpg

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

FB_IMG_1718265769229.jpg

Nice one, but I doubt they lived in the flat over the shop.

• Like 2

Another day in this perfectly normal election campaign.

308570470_Image1.thumb.jpeg.f905706c9c2560e7c979ec09f6cbac70.jpeg

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, TQR said:

Another day in this perfectly normal election campaign.

308570470_Image1.thumb.jpeg.f905706c9c2560e7c979ec09f6cbac70.jpeg

The classic English gentleman abroad. It's David Niven. It's Stewart Granger. It's Nigel Havers. The look: Imperial Leisure.

• Like 3

I take the piss out of Ed Davey's election campaign (though, in fairness, just going out and enjoying himself is not a bad strategy!), but beneath all the clowning around appears to be an honest, compassionate and principled man, and a party with a manifesto not afraid to be 'bold' with raised taxes for the richest in society and, hallelujah, some honesty about how shit Brexit has been. The Lib Dems' awful Clegg, Farron and Swinson days are well and truly behind them. I know it's not likely but they would make a superb official opposition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TQR said:

I take the piss out of Ed Davey's election campaign (though, in fairness, just going out and enjoying himself is not a bad strategy!), but beneath all the clowning around appears to be an honest, compassionate and principled man, and a party with a manifesto not afraid to be 'bold' with raised taxes for the richest in society and, hallelujah, some honesty about how shit Brexit has been. The Lib Dems' awful Clegg, Farron and Swinson days are well and truly behind them. I know it's not likely but they would make a superb official opposition.

My mum has mused about voting Liberal. She's engaged but passive. Pretty sure she voted for Boris in 2019. Almost certainly voted for Brexit. But she's easily led. Anyway, she's not enamoured with Starmer, doesn't like Sunak and the other night said, unprompted, "I might vote Lib Dem". I don't mind too much, our seat is as safe Labour as they come, been Labour since at least 1945. Might be a Gaza protest vote, but can't see it letting the Tories, or anybody else, in. Davey has had a very good campaign. Safe pair of hands in the Paddy Ashdown style. Wonder if Daisy Cooper will be able to build on his progress in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

My mum has mused about voting Liberal. She's engaged but passive. Pretty sure she voted for Boris in 2019. Almost certainly voted for Brexit. But she's easily led. Anyway, she's not enamoured with Starmer, doesn't like Sunak and the other night said, unprompted, "I might vote Lib Dem". I don't mind too much, our seat is as safe Labour as they come, been Labour since at least 1945. Might be a Gaza protest vote, but can't see it letting the Tories, or anybody else, in. Davey has had a very good campaign. Safe pair of hands in the Paddy Ashdown style. Wonder if Daisy Cooper will be able to build on his progress in the future.

To be honest, since I'm interested in policies rather than rhetoric I'd happily vote for Lib Dems where I am or in fact it appears according to that quiz - binface.

However locally is a swing seat between Labour / Tories so my hands are tied if I want shot of the Tories.

I'm not as hopeful as many here that labour will deliver nirvana or even what we want in basic terms (see post above about paying for it), but under first past the post I can't vote any other way.

• Like 1