gcreptile

Mitch McConnell

1 minute ago, MortalCaso said:

This confirms the troll label you have been given. Welcome to my wide and vast 'ignored' list.

'Look at me! I'm a moron who should be lobotomized because that would vastly improve my intelligence!' -you

• Facepalm 2

image.jpeg.42cd1bc0f3f87a01575d4f81608a240f.jpegMitch McConnell's bruised hands raise questions | CNN Politics

I remember flagging these pictures up in October 2020 when his hands were discoloured and swollen and his lips were blue. He has also had a triple bypass in February 2003 so there is a significant health history stretching back a long way. His falls are becoming more frequent and serious recently which is unsurprising if he is zoning out in private the way he is in public. He is most certainly in increasingly poor health and worthy of serious discussion for a place on next years list.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Bullshit

Just saying that the capital doctor quoted in the story was not appointed by a Republican... He was appointed by Obama back in 2009 and so far has been apolitical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comped said:

Just saying that the capital doctor quoted in the story was not appointed by a Republican... He was appointed by Obama back in 2009 and so far has been apolitical.

McConnell clearly has something very seriously wrong with him. This is the second time he has frozen and given he has had several falls including one resulting in broken ribs and concussion so I reckon it is happening in private instances too. The fact that no one around him seems fazed or concerned when this happens in public makes me think it has been witnessed by others off camera too. If he was well he would have been taken to hospital after these events which leads me to conclude they know what is causing the problem and no condition that causes that sort of episode is minor especially when you are in a senior position of power. The Dr is limited to what he can disclose due to confidentiality but it is clear McConnell is not someone you would describe as well. 

If the Doctor were to say no this man is not fit for office he would be hounded by Republicans and that could make his position untenable as he could and most likely would be accused of being partisan.

• Like 3

On 30/08/2023 at 19:56, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

At least they don't have a second chamber that's appointments are partially made on who's uterus you happened to be expelled from.

Other than Rob Menendez. And Tom Kean Jr.. And weirdly, Nancy Pelosi.

Once you dig a little deeper, US congress is full of people who belong to a "dynasty", or got a heavy headstart because of a family member. Climbing the ladder is very often a multi-generational process, for example, from Ron Paul to Rand Paul. From George Romney to Mitt Romney.

HOWEVER, now that I go through the list, it used to be much worse - when we had the Udall family, the Kennedies, Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia, and tons more. The recruitment process of the parties changed a lot I guess. Both parties now rely more heavily on their respective activists.

Very soon, all the Addison Mitchell McConnell the Thirds, and John Cornyn the Thirds will disappear. 

Also, checking the list, the father of Ted Cruz, Rafael Cruz, is still alive at 84 and obitable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Cruz

• Like 2

Someone give that guy an EKG. As someone with Epilepsy and who has a brother with it as well, I know a seizure when I see one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Once you dig a little deeper, US congress is full of people who belong to a "dynasty", or got a heavy headstart because of a family member.

*snip to save space*

A list of all U.S. Senators who have parents, siblings, or close cousins who were famous before them is surprisingly short, especially nowadays. Here's a list of the "nepo babies" in Congress today:

Now

Spoiler

Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, daughter of Frank (former Governor who appointed her to his own seat!)

Mark Kelly of Arizona, husband of Gabrielle Giffords (former U.S. Representative, survived an assassination attempt)

John Hickenlooper of Colorado, grandson of Smith (former circuit judge), great-grandson of Andrew (lt. governor of Ohio), and great-nephew of Bourke (governor of Iowa)

Rand Paul of Kentucky, son of Ron (three-time U.S. Representative, presidential candidate in 1988, 2008 and 2012)

Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, son of Christopher (ambassador)

Ben Cardin of Maryland, son of Meyer (state house member), nephew of Maurice (state house member)

Susan Collins of Maine, son of Donald (member of both state legislatures), and niece of Samuels (associate justice of Maine's court, member of the state senate)

Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico, son of Ben (speaker of state legislature)

Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire, daughter of Robert Coldwell Wood (Johnson admin cabinet member)

Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, son of Charles (ambassador), and grandson of Edwin (ambassador)

Bob Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania, son of Bob Sr. (Governor)

Mike Lee of Utah, son of Rex (Solicitor General of the U.S.), Thomas (former UT court justice), and second cousin to the Udall family, which includes congressmen Stewart, Mo, Tom, and Mark (all Udall), as well as Gordon Smith.

Willard Mitt Romney of Utah, member of the Romney political family. Yeah, I'm not listing all of these.

Maria Cantwell of Washington, daughter of Paul (state Representative in Indiana)

Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, daughter of Arch (Governor)

At a push, Mike Braun of Indiana can be added, as his brother Steve started service in the state house of Representatives 2 years before he did.

Additional fun notes

And no, John Kennedy of Louisiana isn't one of those Kennedys.

While not counting as being part of a dynasty, Cory Booker of New Jersey is the cousin of RuPaul.

Same as Booker, Chuck Schumer of New York has a famous cousin. Amy Schumer. (now, if you want to beat him, tell her to go to one of his rallies!!)

Yet another famous cousin is Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin's third cousin - Andy Samberg.

Cruz's father, as gcreptile mentioned, appears to not be famous before him, but now is famous enough for Wikipedia. Weird.

Map for those who cba to read names:

image.png.953a8663fd40b8908a8e0944947feed8.png

This one's just funny though - Sherrod Brown's brother joined politics after him - and is literally called Charlie Brown.

Edited by Dying Probably
Fixing Kelly's state from AK to AZ, adding map
  • Like 6

Tbh, I think he’s got the cancer look

He was on the Senate Floor about 20 minutes ago. He seems frail, but these kinds of guys tend to hang on for years.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Looks horrible here. Nothing new

I actually think he looks rather good, albeit on the special scale by which Senator McConnell should be judged. 

3 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

I actually think he looks rather good, albeit on the special scale by which Senator McConnell should be judged. 

Still appears to be noticeably thinner than he was. Maybe he's on ozempic :P

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Still appears to be noticeably thinner than he was. Maybe he's on ozempic :P

I think he’s probably at that age when a solvable medical concern causes weight loss and you can never gain it back. His color and speech seem much better than when he was having his episodes. I think he’ll continue his dark reign in the senate for some time to come. 

• Like 1

He does look better than he did last year, the bastard!  Ha.  Seriously though, there's still some weakness/rasp to his voice, but I agree with arrowsmith that he sounds and looks better, and I'd even offer that he doesn't look as gaunt.  

Sister in law Angela Chao dead at 49 in traffic collision.

Daughter of decrepit James S.C. Chao and sister of Elaine Chao.

• Like 6