Lafaucheuse

Bernadette Chirac

14 minutes ago, TQR said:

Ethel Kennedy…yeah I’ve got nothing for that one, but I’m sure a American will tell us exactly why she’s such a big name.

Not an American and also someone who doesn't really understands this pick, but the DL have picked Kennedy family members in the past, so I think they just wanted to add one after a long absence of viable Kennedy options.

• Like 2

Ironically Ethel Kennedy is in a similar position to Bernadette Chirac being a political spouse who has developed her own degree of fame 

I could understand that someone French may never have encountered Dennis Skinner or Pete Murray but one of the delights of this site is the cultural archeology and the shared experience is mostly that of the British, English speaking user.

However I would not be upset come Jan 01st to find that BC has been included in the 2024 list

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

Not an American and also someone who doesn't really understands this pick, but the DL have picked Kennedy family members in the past, so I think they just wanted to add one after a long absence of viable Kennedy options.

Because America does not have a Royal Family...

24 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

However I would not be upset come Jan 01st to find that BC has been included in the 2024 list

I've no objection to her being on the DL, only to her being worth a dedicated thread.  She's very old and frail and that's all there is to say about her.

Here we are on page 2 and all the talk has been about other people.

• Thanks 1

Anyway, in my opinion it's 50/50 she will die before 2024, so ...

I think this thread could be emerge a decade ago but I agree nowadays it's not really necessary to have a thread about her because she is completely withdrawn from public life and imo the next news about her will be when she dies

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

(dull question) Throughout history, how many first ladies of non-Anglophone nations would you say are DL worthy? Obviously Imelda Marcos is in the mix currently. Surprised Madame Chiang Kai-shek wasn't a pick in the early 2000s. Is that about it?

What about Eva Peron ?

She doesn’t have so much time left. I see her passing just before her 91th birthday next year. 

17 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Ironically Ethel Kennedy is in a similar position to Bernadette Chirac being a political spouse who has developed her own degree of fame 

I could understand that someone French may never have encountered Dennis Skinner or Pete Murray but one of the delights of this site is the cultural archeology and the shared experience is mostly that of the British, English speaking user.

You got the point, I’m French that’s why I dot not know these peoples. 
It’s the same case, if I talk to you about Robert Badinter, Philippe Bouvard…You wouldn’t know them ! 

34 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

You got the point, I’m French that’s why I dot not know these peoples. 
It’s the same case, if I talk to you about Robert Badinter, Philippe Bouvard…You wouldn’t know them ! 

That is true which is why the French and D-A-CH lists are quite interesting but the committee are all UK based and it is our cultural archeology that dominated the site. It would be a poorer place without discussions on people like Dennis Skinner and Pete Murray

On 13/09/2023 at 11:51, Bibliogryphon said:

Because America does not have a Royal Family...

We have First Ladies and oh look they have a thread.  Dibt acknowledge this ridiculous thread, unless you want to be judged.

When @Toast and I agree, you know you’ve screwed up.  Bury this thread, @Paul Bearer.

It could be merged with the previous Chirac thread.  Although that was vandalised with a lot of irrelevant shite.

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

We have First Ladies and oh look they have a thread.  Dibt acknowledge this ridiculous thread, unless you want to be judged.

When @Toast and I agree, you know you’ve screwed up.  Bury this thread, @Paul Bearer.

What’s the point of closing the thread ? It’s created and if you don’t care about her, then just move on. We’re not gonna argue all day about wether she’s famous enough, it’s irrelevant. For all the french out there, this thread is relevant. The end. And even for you brits, she’s not unknown. I’ve seen far more useless thread being created and never shut down.

If you wanna close the thread because there is already a first lady thread, then I suggest you also close Rosalynn’s one, Mary Wildon and Clarisse Eden.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

What’s the point of closing the thread ? It’s created and if you don’t care about her, then just move on. We’re not gonna argue all day about wether she’s famous enough, it’s irrelevant. For all the french out there, this thread is relevant. The end. And even for you brits, she’s not unknown. I’ve seen far more useless thread being created and never shut down.

If you wanna close the thread because there is already a first lady thread, then I suggest you also close Rosalynn’s one, Mary Wildon and Clarisse Eden.

I suggested merging it with the existing Chirac thread  which was started by .... oh .... you.

Just now, Toast said:

I suggested merging it with the existing Chirac thread  which was started by .... oh .... you.

I created it When I joined the forum in 2018 and wasn’t accustomed to its functionment. This Chirac couple thread was a mistake and as you just said it, it was highly vandalised. Don’t get Why some of you are so irritated by the thread of a non english figure. Famous, ill, old enough to have her own thread. Period. If you do not care about her, it’s up to you, move on. 

• Like 1

Threads should be created for people who a) Will spark interesting conversation, and/or b) Are a suitable UK* Deathlist name. Bernadette Chirac is neither of those things and as a result will from now on only be a place for verbal jousting.

*IMG_8288.thumb.jpeg.cff5cf0f6d4cb902d5e8516961312600.jpeg

You know what I don't care, just stop clogging up the forums with this pointless argument let @Lafaucheuse keep their thread open as it doesn't harm anyone or delete/merge it and be done with it. What I will say is that I don't think we should be exclusionary towards non-UK celebs on the forums, considering that the forums attract nutjobs from all around the world we need people like Lafaucheuse for updates on those from their native countries that would otherwise go under the radar. It doesn't matter that the official list is UK exclusive the forums/deadpools aren't.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TQR said:

Threads should be created for people who a) Will spark interesting conversation, and/or b) Are a suitable UK* Deathlist name. Bernadette Chirac is neither of those things and as a result will from now on only be a place for verbal jousting.

*IMG_8288.thumb.jpeg.cff5cf0f6d4cb902d5e8516961312600.jpeg

Read your screenshot instead of rephrasing It : « expected to be reported by the UK média ». I can’t see a single scenario in which She didn’t get decent UK coverage When she goes. Again, if you do not care, move on. Some people (even british) care if I judge by the reaction of the first post of this thread. Won’t be answering anymore, I made my case clear. If you wanna argue then do, I still stand behind the creation of this thread (which is not the case with the Chirac couple one, I was young and unaware)

• Like 1

Not moving on. This is now a "vandalism" thread until it merges with Chirac's couple, a much better thread than this. 

Screenshot_2023-09-15_at_12_36_48.thumb.png.c51a8398a44fa1bd418c8019040afd84.png

• Facepalm 2

She's good enough for La Liste Mort but not for the DeathList I'm afraid.

I more or less agree with what @Commtech Sio Bibble said. Why are people so obsessed with 'policing' the forum? We have mods, we have admins. Let them admin and mod, and the rest of us just carry on regardless.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, time said:

I more or less agree with what @Commtech Sio Bibble said. Why are people so obsessed with 'policing' the forum? We have mods, we have admins. Let them admin and mod, and the rest of us just carry on regardless.

Because it's funny.

• Facepalm 2

Some people on here need to get out more.

17 minutes ago, TQR said:

Because it's funny.

Tedious.

Cor, gone are the days where you could get a meaningful rise out of someone and it’d add a bit of spark to the place. It’s so stagnant now.

Back to extra-curricular only for me, then.