Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2024

1 hour ago, diego said:

I knew that Euthanasia was allowed in the Netherlands, but I didn't know it was allowed for reasons of depression

I didn’t know either, and I find it very sickening. It shouldn’t be allowed for depression.

• Like 1

I have always thought that if someone wants to end their life, it is a matter for them and them only.

• Like 9

Rear Admiral James Carine death notice: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/carine-notices_55924

Thought @Ulitzer95 might like to know, he's Wiki mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supply_officers_in_the_Royal_Navy_who_have_reached_flag_rank

I'm sure that page could do with some general updating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Rear Admiral James Carine death notice: https://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/marketplace/advert/carine-notices_55924

Thought @Ulitzer95 might like to know, he's Wiki mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supply_officers_in_the_Royal_Navy_who_have_reached_flag_rank

I'm sure that page could do with some general updating.

Don’t worry, there are plenty around here well-versed in rear admirals.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Toast said:

I have always thought that if someone wants to end their life, it is a matter for them and them only.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you 100%. I am a firm believer in a persons right to euthanasia. But, fuck me, a tragic case like this would definitely cause me to at least question that belief. Something about just feels not quite right. I suppose it comes down to the idea that people have the right to choose to end their life, but can you make a rational choice if you are suffering from depression or other mental illness.

I really don't know how I feel about it- it just so terribly sad.

• Like 5

Death is inevitable. I don't see a problem with a person deciding how it happens.

There are enough people who decide to live without preventing though who wish to die. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MortalCaso said:

Death is inevitable. I don't see a problem with a person deciding how it happens.

There are enough people who decide to live without preventing though who wish to die. 

As I said, ordinarily I would be in absolute agreement with you. But a case like this makes you realise that , as with most things in life, it is not a black and white issue. Lots of horrible shades of grey.

I don't know why it should seem worse that a person would choose to end their life because of mental health problems, rather than because of incurable cancer or any other disease. But deep down, for some reason, it just does feel worse. Maybe its because we (I?) have the idea that mental health problems should be treatable/manageable, while accepting the fact that cancer or many other diseases very often are not. I really don't know. I have very little knowledge or experience of mental health problems, so I am going to shut up about it now. 

• Like 4

Pamela Salem dead.  Might have been mentioned elsewhere. Haven’t checked. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Ordinarily, I would agree with you 100%. I am a firm believer in a persons right to euthanasia. But, fuck me, a tragic case like this would definitely cause me to at least question that belief. Something about just feels not quite right. I suppose it comes down to the idea that people have the right to choose to end their life, but can you make a rational choice if you are suffering from depression or other mental illness.

I really don't know how I feel about it- it just so terribly sad.

I agree with you... there are some illnesses that have suicidal ideation as a symptom (ie, anorexia), where this option would discourage recovery and probably increase their suicidal thoughts. Also, whenever I see it's a young woman, I wonder if she was a rape victim, so it looks to me like death penalty for rape victims but not rapists. I've read a few articles about the young women with depression killed under these programs, and they have friends and activities in their lives, so I think that's the missing step of what is going on.

Canada had a problem with their MAID program: disabled veterans were being told to consider suicide when just asking for help: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-maid-rcmp-investigation-1.6663885

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a difference between clinical depression and intolerable unhappiness, but there seems to be a reluctance nowadays to acknowledge the latter.  It is not "mental illness".

• Like 2

On 23/02/2024 at 02:33, gcreptile said:

Mark Merlino, groundbreaking member of the Furry Fandom community dead of liver cancer at 71:

https://mlpforums.com/topic/201765-rip-mark-merlino-co-founder-of-the-furry-fandom/

https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Mark_Merlino

Just in case you stumbled upon his entering hospice.

Ground is still solid here.  What the living hell is the Furry Fandom community (there are actually questions best left unanswered; this is probably one).

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

What the living hell is the Furry Fandom community

People who like to dress up as cartoon animals.

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

My instincts were correct.  

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Boris Johnson and Carrie presumably. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Ground is still solid here.  What the living hell is the Furry Fandom community (there are actually questions best left unanswered; this is probably one).

Well, I'd say that in the eyes of some people the ground actually broke all the way through to hell when the Furry Fandom came into being.

Poet, writer, dramatist etc. etc. Bernard Kops reportedly dead aged 97, Via Xwitter eta Guardian Obit.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LWCZ said:

Haven't seen it reported on the forums yet and I don't think it belongs to the Hollywood Possibilities thread.

Buddy Duress, actor who starred in Heaven Knows WhatGood Time or Person to Person, reportedly passed away (according to the director of Duress' last movie).

--snip

No offense, but how do you have that many links and not a single one goes to his Wikipedia/IMDB page.

8 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

No offense, but how do you have that many links and not a single one goes to his Wikipedia/IMDB page.

I always forget to do so, sorry! :lol: Will fix it (and the other links)

• Thanks 1

Jean-Luc Pinel was born in Saint Malo and died at the age of 76, he was a French alpine skier. In 1968 he was 8th in the world cup, in the giant slalom of Méribel, In 1970, he had 4 top-10s in the downhill World Cup , including a 4th place in Jackson Hole (United States), In February 1970, he competed in the world championship in Val Gardena (Italy). He achieved the best French performance in the descent by taking 8th place. In March of the same year, Jean-Luc Pinel became French Downhill Champion in Serre Chevalier, where he still holds the speed record, at more than 110 km/h on the wall of Saint-Chaffrey

https://www.ledauphine.com/skichrono/2024/02/29/disparition-du-skieur-de-courchevel-jean-luc-pinel

Photo Facebook

• Facepalm 1

Kazbek Zankishiev died at the age of 31, was a Russian judoka, He was European bronze medalist in 2017 in the ‍–‍100 kg division, gold in the mixed team at the 2019 European, bronze in the mixed team at the 2018 worlds, and several medals in Grand Slam and Grand Prix of the IJF, he was also highlighted in Juniors and under 23. He died in his sleep

https://mma.metaratings.ru/news/rossiiskii-dzyudoist-kazbek-zankishiev-skonchalsya-na-31-m-godu-zhizni-339814/

image.jpeg.e599e452f0f8cf171f4ac94585993607.jpeg

• Facepalm 2

Report of the death of Lt Col Paul Neville, principal director of music for the Band of HM Royal Marines: 

No great hits under his conductorship, but here he is conducting the band in 1973 of their version of Eye Level.

• Like 2

Tristram Powell (wiki), English film and television director, producer and screenwriter, dead at 83.

Credits: American Friends, Foyle's War, Judge John Deed, Trial & Retribution, The Commander, Law & Order: UK.

Straight to Telegraph obit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1