Grim Reaper

20. Derek Draper

19 minutes ago, manuel said:

Daily mail say he died on Wednesday evening.

Just saw that, the Mail is the only one reporting it that I've seen so far. 

29 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Whose major celebrity had the longest wait for the announcement of his/her death ? 
(Wonder if my sentence is grammaticaly ok in english tbh?)

Probably Rolf Harris, there was a couple of weeks after that private ambulance being spotted and his death announced, even had his funeral before the announcement

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I think Rolf Harris was dead and buried a couple of weeks before anything was announced.

17 minutes ago, BonScott said:

Probably Rolf Harris, there was a couple of weeks after that private ambulance being spotted and his death announced, even had his funeral before the announcement

I'm not sure if this was ever noted on here, but Rolf Harris' death was actually added to Wikipedia the day it happened by an editor who got the information "from a close friend of his". A week later (while it still wasn't public) he commented about the revert on his talk page "it is nice bit of finesse and I wasn't privi to it, so you helped in keeping a secret."

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, BonScott said:

Probably an unpopular view but Rolf Harris seems to have suffered terribly losing honours, lifestyle, livelihood and 'good name' and eventually life whereas Saviile escaped altogether for dreadfully vile activities and others such as a certain Prince have only lost their 'good name' (which those in the know did not believe anyway) and a few of the letters after his name & Archer kept his peerage despite perjury and consorting with a prostitute (his wife presumably lied in court who gave him an alibi but the establishment seemed to gloss over this 'fragrant lady') and many other such as the former Post Office woman and Baroness 'Moan' seem to have clung onto their trinkets.

• Like 4

Hmmmmmm both Telegraph and Times obituaries say Draper died on 5th.

Daily Mail said Wednesday evening.

Who to believe?

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Who to believe?

Times IMO. More reliable paper.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

41 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Who to believe?

Well I don`t think Kate would wait a day top announce it so I reckon it was today.

Jimmy Carter has already outlived 4% of this year's list. 

7 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Jimmy Carter has already outlived 4% of this year's list. 

STFU. Don’t start this shite again.

• Like 5

Even as someone who is a Brit old enough to remember him at his most newsworthy I still don't think he was famous emough for the list.  The only reason he has been in the news in recent years is because his wife is a prominent daytime TV journalist who made a couple of 'tear-jerker' documentaries about looking after him. The media (particularly the BBC) loves stories about itself, witness today, one of the top stories on BBC breakfast news, 1 o'clock lunchtime news and the BBC website is basically 'One of our reporters has a new guide dog'.

• Like 3

RIP obviously and sorry to his family etc but surely some fat bloke dying from Covid complications isn't a "Celebrity death"

The ignorance of this forum is really showing today huh? 

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

For all those who said he wasn't famous enough, not only he receive a breaking news notification from the BBC but his death was the second 'headline' story on the 1 o'clock BBC News where he received a video obituary that focused on his political career and not his wife.

I don't give a fuck. If he wasn't married to Garraway, never contracted covid and died of a heart attack instead he would barely have gotten a mention. Fringes of fame/the famous, no more than that.

• Like 1

It's a good thing he died after Glynis Johns because otherwise her death might have been really overshadowed by someone so famous dying before her.

• Haha 8

If he had never married one of the most famous women in the country he might have got a brief mention on P26 of the Guardian, certainly no leading headlines/newsflash 

He is only famous for being married to Kate, his lobbying scandal was nearly 3 decades ago

He is the equivalent of say Coleen Rooney, famous for having a famous other half

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, BonScott said:

He is only famous for being married to Kate, his lobbying scandal was nearly 3 decades ago

He is the equivalent of say Coleen Rooney, famous for having a famous other half

Nope. he's famous for belng a political advisor and an author.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonScott said:

If he had never married one of the most famous women in the country he might have got a brief mention on P26 of the Guardian, certainly no leading headlines/newsflash 

One of the ruthless promoters of New Labour.

he can’t be that insignificant if former Prime Ministers are coming out the woodwork to pay tribute. They aren’t doing that because he’s Kate’s man. 

• Like 1

Kate Garroway, oh I've heard of her. Once was enough!

• Like 1

Why is there so much vitriol against her?  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Why is there so much vitriol against her?  

I think it is because she overshares however I can see why she does.As a journalist she probably sees it as a duty to share her husbands story which was importantant.I do think at times it was very intrusive and uncomfortable but as is life.I remember Barbara Pointon received similar flack for showing her husband with Alzheimers on his deathbed and before when he was ravaged with alzheimers.I get the educational value but would hate to be filmed or film anyone I loved in such a condition.

I still like Garraway though from what I have read of her.I would hope she stops sharing now though and focuses on her and her children's grief.She has shared more than enough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BonScott said:

Yeah but Coleen Rooney would be a deathlisty name if she was ill I would say as she is known in her own right through extension of the profile her marriage .

Similarly Sharon Osbourne would be a famous enough name for the Death List but wouldn't be if she had never married Ozzy.

None of the first ladies of the US on the list over the years would have been famous if it was not for their marriages and if Prince Philip had never married the Queen he would have just been an obscure foreign Royal and if it wasn't for his daughters social media skills we would never have known who Tom Moore was.

Draper was an influential lobbyist who was a key part of the New Labour movement and had a number of notable scandals.Just because his wife kept his plight in the spotlight is irrelevant he is still more famous in his own right than say Bill Gates Dad or Elizabeth Edwards and most political and royal spouses.

I didn't even pick him for my shadowlist as I partly overlooked him but also when his name came into my head I queried whether he was deathlisty enough but there was merit to his inclusion.His obituaries cover all the things he did behind the scenes for the Labour party.He was famous for reasons other than his impending demise and was always going to get obituaries from every major paper and news station.Which by the committees own definitions is enough.

Never known so much anger over the committee being bold rather than just stuffing the list with seemingly healthy A list nonogenarians as they have been criticised for in the past.The committee have had 2 hits in 2 days I say good calls.The Deathlist has never looked stronger this early in the year since I followed it.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

Paula Tilbrook may be the one you’re forgetting.

Died Dec19 and announced in Jul20.

Yeah first and only time so far I have lost DDP points due to a death not being reported.