Spade_Cooley

Your DDP Salvage Lot 2024

Remember, no going "ahhh I nearly picked him" if you don't mention them in this thread.

Daniel Hersl - corrupt Baltimore cop, as portrayed in the TV show We Own This City. Always a tad skeptical of terminal prostate cancer as a reason for a jail sentence to be commuted.

Stanisław Dziwisz - last name dropped for me, Pope JP II's best mate and effective secretary. Hospitalized with respiratory complaint, only mentioned in Polish media. Did conduct a mass from his hospital bed though, so he can't be too fucked.

George Lowe and Trevor Oakes - two names I found one reference to being ill online but nothing else enough to back it up. Lowe (the voice of Space Ghost) did have an aortic dissection earlier in the year and probably won't see the end of the decade. Oakes (from 70s chart-toppers Showaddywaddy) there's a photo of him out there looking like crap, but just wasn't enough to guarantee for me.

Paul Britchford - founder of the We'll Met Again museum in Boston, England. Definitely dying but much too much of a QO risk, even though he has had some BBC coverage.

Janey Godley I dropped to the bench to fit in both Derek Draper and Sam Neil. Also dropped Randy Jackson to the bench. 

Nearly selected Jacqueline Wilson for my Dames team and hope someone has. 

12 Lords subs:

Men: Bill Harry, Lennon’s friend and editor of Mersey Beat. Chris Ellison and Chris Rea.

Ladies: Julie Goodyear, Imelda Marcos and Amy Dowden.

Comedy Cremations subs:

David Jason, Paul Mayhew-Archer and Tim Healy.

Hits of 36 Years Ago:

Subs: Bob Dylan, Lyndsey Buckingham and Bill Medley. Others considered included Flavor Flav, Larry Mullen Jnr, Nicko McBrain and Chubby Checker.

Theo Burrell, Phyllida Law, Edward Duke of Kent were my subs. 

The only drops from my list last year that I'm worried about are Chevy Chase and Prunella Scales.

For a while I thought I'd keep all my 2023 survivors bar Andy Taylor. But I got so bored with Linda Nolan as well so she dropped to subs bench. The other subs were Starmer-Smith and Burrow.

Also the names that I would've picked if competing but didn't feel right going on a casual team. Jason Smith, for instance.

Dai Henwood- Major QO Risk.

Danny Estrin & Adrian Sutton- Cancer diagnoses too vague, not picking Sutton might be a big mistake tbh.

Bajrakitiyabha- No reason to believe they will pull the plug on her this year.

Scott Nisbet- Already had 2 footballers with cancer, felt he was the least ill of the 3 I had shortlisted.

Max Mirnyi- Seems to be doing fine.

3 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

Dai Henwood- Major QO Risk.

Being the first comedian on an international version of Taskmaster to die would 100% guarantee a QO.

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

Being the first comedian on an international version of Taskmaster to die would 100% guarantee a QO.

Well I fucked up, only saw New Zealand news about him.

Lots of stage 4 cancers that didn't convince me, Erik Jensen, Eddie Annand, etc...

I also dropped Daniel Hersl eventually. Seemed just not good enough.

Christoph Daum - cancer is said too be early.

Toby Keith - I dropped him after realizing that the "tumor" was always singular, i.e. the cancer was not advanced.

Theo Burrell - Seemed too early at her age/diagnosis

Nadine Koutcher - Briefly a lock but seems to be bouncing back well.

Richard Scolyer - Recently finished immunotherapy course and is about to start a new bout of treatment so clearly they think he'll make 2025.

Sudarshan Maharaj - Seemed far too optimistic, felt chance it was an early catch of pancreatic cancer and he'll live. My least confident axe. 

Patrick Murray - Just no room.

Paul Auster - Not knowing what cancer it is, though I have the feeling he's a goner.

Duncan Campbell - Edinburgh Fringe comic/author, @Death Impends specifically convinced me it was a bad pick when I was checking for FFBI. ("A bit like that artist you picked the other year!" Harsh but true!)

Andy Saperstein - Never told us what cancer he had.

Sean Wallace - Jaguars coach. Couldn't convince myself of a Yahoo obit.

That'll do.

• Like 1

I also considered a while back Nermina Pieters-Mekic, cancer suffering former star of the Real Housewives of Cheshire but forgot about her until Christmas Day when I had already written the Excel document and could not be bothered to change it. I wonder if anyone else noticed her illness or even selcteed her. 

Not joking here, I very nearly included Joan Langsford but I wimped out. Not a nailed on QO and, don’t tell Deathrow this, actually looks quite well.

My first try at my list had Alan Alda, Faye Dunaway, Carol Burnett, Sonny Shroyer, Richard Sanders...But decided to bench them for Jack Hanna, Warren Buffett, Christina Crawford, Tom Brokaw, Shannen Doherty

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

Not joking here, I very nearly included Joan Langsford but I wimped out. Not a nailed on QO and, don’t tell Deathrow this, actually looks quite well.

@Death Impends confirmed in the opening post of the  DDP 2024 thread that she would not count. 

Not so much dropping them, as forgetting that I was going to scrub five minute bellends to enter a different theme team.

Bronny James-If the game started on October 1, I would have picked him due to his age alone, but his cardiac issues were overblown and he's back to playing basketball

Sarah Langs-She's only 30 but she does seem to have a rapid form of ALS. I played her in the Hare's Dead Pool

Myron Kandel-I'm leery of playing people who don't have a wikipedia page, though I'm not sure why a prominent financial journalist doesn't have one. Played him in Death by Numbers just in case

I have too many ALS sufferers. And I regret not picking Sir John Curtice.

Not carried over from last year:

Frank Field - just sick of this drama queen

Janey Godley - same thing as Field

Rhod Gilbert - clear scans

Katie Keltie - fraud

My subs that didn't make it on:

AH, THE OL' TEAM

1. Gene Hackman

2. Mohammad Shtayyeh

3. Alan K. Simpson

OLD AMERICAN POLITICIANS (OAPS)

1. Nancy Kassebaum

2. Joe Biden

3. Maxine Waters

While the Twitter theme team is nonsensical, the subs were Tim Sheehy, Bob Iger, and Noah Schnapp (though 1 could've made it on if the one I very much stretched the fame rules on was DQed)

I dropped six cancerists from last year's team:

Rob Bolland (tbh, I forgot)

Shannen Doherty (lost patience)

Rhod Gilbert (all clear :))

Janey Godley (seems fine)

Kate Keltie ("miracle cure")

Andy Taylor (again, seems fine)

• Like 1

Subs:

Patrick Murray - probably a goner with all his ailments but I couldn't find room.

Joe Doering/Dikembe Mutombo - both with unclear stages of cancer, both might be on their way out in 2024 reading between the lines, but I just knew if I only picked one, the other would go, and I didn't have room for both.

Final drops:

Dario G - probably one of the better 'new' names but still see him making it to 2025.

Shannen Doherty - starting to decline but still think she sees 2025.

Roy Battersby - dying this year, but I have enough old, low-scoring names already.

Richard "Black Bart" Harris - my wrestling ignorance made me unsure of a QO, plus he seems somewhat stable still according to a recent Facebook video. Not worth the risk for a 7-pointer.

Toby Keith - still not sold on him dying, would've been a purely defensive pick.

Joanne Woodward - Drop 40 for sure but if she's survived 15 years with Alzheimer's, why not another year? Not sure the alleged hospice changes anything.

Other drops:

Jimmy Zoppi/Erik Jensen - both seem to be relatively stable and responding well to treatment.

Sudarshan Maharaj - pancan sounds big and scary always, but reading between the lines, they seem confident it's treatable.

Jose "Piculin" Ortiz - another name that wouldn't reveal the stage of their cancer, ffs, why are there so many? But if I understood correctly it was caught during a routine scan so probably early.

Vanessa Redgrave - again, too many oldies already, and she's not as likely to die as a Carter or Chomsky.

Joe Shannon - not super likely to die and I've seen plenty of household names in Ireland not get a single obit in the UK press so I was worried that would be the case here too. Why can't y'all get along?

Richard Scolyer - experimental treatment looks promising.

Nigel Starmer-Smith - already carried over SEVEN of my 2023 survivors so no room for him.

Adrian Sutton - not a lot of updates and kinda boring. Plus "incurable" to me always sounds like "the cancer is here to stay, but so am I for 4-5 years."

Sean Wallace - found him very late. Also, as an American college sports fan, even I think he's too obscure to get a Yahoo obit.

Francoise Hardy - already have drama queen Esther Rantzen, didn't need two.

Dennis Skinner - Chomsky filled the "forum user claims to have inside knowledge that they're dying" spot.

James Fanale - just no way he gets a QO, imo.

I'd like to coin a new term here as the Robert Zimmer rule.

If the health news of a fringe pick gets picked up by Yahoo, the news of their death will eventually.

A la James Fanale et Sean Wallace.

That being said, I have 80/20 confidence Wallace obits and the opposite for Fanale.

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

He'd get some coverage surely due to his hosting career in NZ with Lego Masters and the like, no?

5 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

Bob Iger

Trust me as someone who is very familiar with Disney (I've known far too many Disney execs and have some insight at the company)... Iger won't be dead before the end of the decade. He's way too much of a health nut.

-double post-