football_fan

Henry Kissinger

1 hour ago, When The said:

He should've died 100 years ago. Every time I hear this guy's name on the news, I remember the fact that Henry Kissinger has killed so many people and that he got away with it. It's unfair and I really hope this guy will die.

I have never understood the hate mob that constantly surrounds Kissinger. I think people just do it cos it's fashionable.

Why is he any worse than any U.S. president who has ever authorised an airstrike? So why not go hate on Clinton, Bush and Obama?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I have never understood the hate mob that constantly surrounds Kissinger. I think people just do it cos it's fashionable.

Why is he any worse than any U.S. president who has ever authorised an airstrike? So why not go hate on Clinton, Bush and Obama?

Because while Clinton, Bush, and Obama did do war crimes, they still couldn't beat Kissinger in scale. Kissinger killed millions of people across the world, from Argentina, to Chile, to Bangladesh, to Cambodia, and everywhere else that was affected by him. He took his terror and spread blood across the world worse than any president could've done.

In other words, Kissinger was worse because his war crimes happened across the Earth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

There are two main reasons why people target Kissinger in particular:

1 - "The Trial of Henry Kissinger" by Christopher Hitchens

2 - it fits the alt-right's narrative of there being an International Jewish Conspiracy

4 minutes ago, polar duck said:

There are two main reasons why people target Kissinger in particular:

1 - "The Trial of Henry Kissinger" by Christopher Hitchens

2 - it fits the alt-right's narrative of there being an International Jewish Conspiracy

True, but he's attacked by those on the left in equal measures. 

The fact that he's closely associated with Nixon (not exactly a popular President) doesn't help his reputation either. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

True, but he's attacked by those on the left in equal measures. 

That sort of anti-semitism is not exclusive to nuts on the right. 

Whether you love him or loathe him, to me he feels like more of a link to the past than any of the current list. The Nixon Presidency and the Watergate era feels like another world to me and ancient history, and yet one of the leading protagonists is still here in 2023. It will be an end of an era when he goes. 

• Like 4

If Kissinger reaches 100, would he be most famous/notable centenarian ever?

30 minutes ago, Puma85 said:

I would still give that distinction to someone like the Queen Mother, but some might disagree.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jonah said:

I would still give that distinction to someone like the Queen Mother, but some might disagree.

Kissinger is more well known worldwide than the Queen Mother imo, although I still think that Kirk Douglas was the most famous centenarian.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Puma85 said:

An argument could be made for Dame Vera Lynn as well in my opinion. Her almost century long career and being seen as "Forces Sweetheart" during WW2: Songs like We'll Meet Again and White Cliffs of Dover which capture the time of the war. And the fact she was alive 75 years later was just so surprising and lovely.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

An argument could be made for Dame Vera Lynn as well in my opinion. Her almost century long career and being seen as "Forces Sweetheart" during WW2: Songs like We'll Meet Again and White Cliffs of Dover which capture the time of the war. And the fact she was alive 75 years later was just so surprising and lovely.

June Spencer, Norman Lear, Bob Hope, George Burns and Olivia de Havilland would have to be up there too.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Puma85 said:

Not sure exactly, but I do know he would be the most famous/notable centenarian whose actions, recommendations and policies led to the deaths/ murders of thousands of people and the financial ruin of many countries. The man is a peach. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

June Spencer, Norman Lear, Bob Hope, George Burns and Olivia de Havilland would have to be up there too.

I think we can say Kissinger has had significantly more impact on the World than an actress from The Archers in fairness. Bob Hope, Kirk Douglas, Olivia De Havilland and the Queen Mother would have to be up there. I'd also add Leni Riefenstahl and Alf Landon as having a fairly significant impact. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Puma85 said:

I don't think he has much competition in terms of impact.

• Like 3

Johannas Heesters was a big name in Germany since the 1920s

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 15:30, Deathrace said:

Whether you love him or loathe him, to me he feels like more of a link to the past than any of the current list. The Nixon Presidency and the Watergate era feels like another world to me and ancient history, and yet one of the leading protagonists is still here in 2023. It will be an end of an era when he goes. 

Roger Stone is still running around committing treason.
He was on Nixon's campaign and has a giant Nixon tattoo on his back.

• Like 2

One month until he hits 100. Can he pull it off?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/04/2023 at 04:36, Jonah said:

Queen Mother wasn't really known outside of the UK and hadn't any political power.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2023 at 02:05, Puma85 said:

In terms of 'fame' I'll throw in Irving Berlin, George Burns & Bob Hope (in addition to Kirk Douglas).

• Like 2

On 02/04/2023 at 03:13, wannamaker said:

Kissinger is more well known worldwide than the Queen Mother imo, although I still think that Kirk Douglas was the most famous centenarian.

I’d have to say Olivia de Havilland. Two-time best actress Oscar winner and star of Gone with the Wind! Luise Rainer was another two-time best actress winner to make it to 104, though she was decidedly less famous.

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 21:12, Puma85 said:

Queen Mother wasn't really known outside of the UK and hadn't any political power.

Queen Dowager of most of the world and last Empress of India...the most dangerous woman in Europe according the Hitler...not famous outside the UK? Get a grip.

• Like 3

The most famous centenarian ever is the french woman Jeanne Calment or course ! :)

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 02/04/2023 at 09:42, Deathrace said:

I think we can say Kissinger has had significantly more impact on the World than an actress from The Archers in fairness. Bob Hope, Kirk Douglas, Olivia De Havilland and the Queen Mother would have to be up there. I'd also add Leni Riefenstahl and Alf Landon as having a fairly significant impact. 

Alf Landon!? He only won TWO states

• Like 2