football_fan

Henry Kissinger

Just now, Hozonkai said:

Alf Landon!? He only won TWO states

Strom Thurmond is the longest lived US Presidential candidate to gain Electoral votes. He lived a few months longer than Landon did.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Windsor said:
On 27/04/2023 at 22:12, Puma85 said:

Queen Mother wasn't really known outside of the UK and hadn't any political power.

Queen Dowager of most of the world and last Empress of India...the most dangerous woman in Europe according the Hitler...not famous outside the UK? Get a grip.

I'm aware of Queen Mum, but in spite of her illustrous biography, she's still a whole level below Kissinger in terms of historical significance, and, by extension, (international) fame.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hozonkai said:

Alf Landon!? He only won TWO states

Perhaps but his uselessness as a candidate guaranteed that FDR was President when WW2 broke out so I'd say he had a fairly significant indirect impact on World events. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frleon said:

I'm aware of Queen Mum, but in spite of her illustrous biography, she's still a whole level below Kissinger in terms of historical significance, and, by extension, (international) fame.

I’d bet more people know about/remember the Queen Mother outside of the UK tha know about/remember Kissinger outside the US. 

He’s not even Scottish. 

• Like 2

Looks Absolutely awful in new interview with « Sunday Morning ». Won’t pass the year imo. 

• Like 2

I was half expecting him to say “execute Order 66”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's one unfortunate-looking human. By the end of the year his head will be at his belly button.

• Like 9

He wont go easily... he's like Sumner Redstone this way. But I'd say rather confidently, that he has less than a year left.

• Like 2

Think he'll die shortly after his 100 birthday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

He wont go easily... he's like Sumner Redstone this way. But I'd say rather confidently, that he has less than a year left.

Who was, for those playing at home, also born 27 May 1923 

• Like 4

He seems really overweight, so I wonder how he reached 100

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Looks Absolutely awful in new interview with « Sunday Morning ». Won’t pass the year imo. 

I've been thinking he has one foot in the grave for a long time- he certainly is still as sharp as a tack!!! I hope they are still listening to him, he knows what he is talking about-  his neck is disappearing though!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chiesa52 said:

he knows what he is talking about-  his neck is disappearing though

Love the transition

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

That's one unfortunate-looking human. By the end of the year his head will be at his belly button.

Well, in this interview, he did say: "It will come to a head before this year is out." :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/treffen-in-new-york-kretschmer-trifft-aussenpolitik-legende-kissinger-83898206.bild.html

Met with a local German politician in New York 3 days ago. Seems to be well enough to have a meeting with anybody who asks for it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

https://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/politik-ausland/treffen-in-new-york-kretschmer-trifft-aussenpolitik-legende-kissinger-83898206.bild.html

Met with a local German politician in New York 3 days ago. Seems to be well enough to have a meeting with anybody who asks for it.

Except the Reaper.

Sends him a card for the holidays every year as well...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Am I the only one who was introduced to Henry Kissinger through him being mentioned in a couple of Basil's rants in Fawlty Towers?

• Like 5

On 16/05/2023 at 15:15, prussianblue said:

Am I the only one who was introduced to Henry Kissinger through him being mentioned in a couple of Basil's rants in Fawlty Towers?

Perhaps that's part of the secret of his longevity. As I have remarked previously most of the main protagonists in Fawlty Towers have had quite long lives with the main four actors all making it to 80 plus. It's the opposite of Only Fools & Horses and The Vicar of Dibley. 

• Like 3

On 16/05/2023 at 16:15, prussianblue said:

Actually I first heard from him in a French-speaking comic book, XIII  , in which a character, a fictional director of the CIA, is greatly inspired by Kissinger.

Well, I was only 14 when I read it, so I didn’t know much about US politics and history !

• Like 1

Elizabeth Holmes (scammer of Theranos fame) was told to start her 11-year sentence on May 30th. Kissinger served on the board of Theranos.

• Like 2

I still think his end time is coming, not long after his 100th birthday.

• Like 2