Mr Stats

World's Oldest

When I was a kid in the 1980s there was a 120 year old Japanese man in the Guinness Book of Records, but he seems to have been airbrushed from history??

I would look him up but I can't remember his name. Imuzi or something like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigechiyo_Izumi

Apparently he had an older brother that died young and took his name so he was only 105 at the time of his death.

• Like 1

What's with the lack of super centenarians in recent times?

The top 4 oldest people ever all died in the 20th Century.

Currently there are only 2 men verified to be super centenarians according to Wikipedia.

Currently there are only 2 men verified to be super centenarians according to Wikipedia.

Convergence towards the mean. Child mortality is declining, incidence of supercentenarians is also declining. Countries with low life expectancy are catching those with a high one. Eventually, everyone will live to the exact same age. Unfortunately, that will be the end of deadpooling.

• Like 1

Convergence towards the mean. Child mortality is declining, incidence of supercentenarians is also declining. Countries with low life expectancy are catching those with a high one. Eventually, everyone will live to the exact same age. Unfortunately, that will be the end of deadpooling.

how?

how?

The clue is in the bit that says "everyone will live to the exact same age". Though I disagree with switch that it will happen through convergence (I always thought it was reversion) to the mean, maybe if one day we wake up in Logan's Run world....

• Like 1

There are still two remaining women from 1800s still alive.

Susannah Mushatt Jones (b. 6 July 1899)

Emma Morano (b. 29 November 1899)

Any estimation or prediction on when these two lady will die?

I am going to be extremely bold/utterly foolish and say they will both survive to see 2017.

Found another interview with a supercentenarian conducted last year:

BB: Are you looking forward to your birthday?
VVW: No, I’ll be an old woman.

BB: Well, they’re having a party for you.
VVW: You shouldn’t have told me.

BB: Is there one secret to living long you can share?
VVW: Not dying.

BB: Any other secrets?
VVW: Not drinking or smoking.

BB: Where were you born?
VVW: New York.

BB: Where else did you live?
VVW: Newburgh and Poughkeepsie.

BB: Do you remember the kind of house?
VVW: A nice bungalow a carpenter built.

BB: Can you tell us about your husband?
VVW: A sweet man, a nice guy.

BB: Did you have a big wedding and wear a white dress?
VVW: No. We eloped. (Niece said not true.)

BB: Did your family approve?
VVW: They liked him a lot.

BB: Can you share how you met?
VVW: That’s kind of personal. I stumbled over him.

BB: Did you have hobbies or what’d you like to do for fun?
VVW: We went fishing at Saranac Lake.

BB: What’d you catch?
VVW: Pickerel with bait.

BB: So did you go camping also?
VVW: No, that was too rough.

BB: Any hobbies you had on your own?
VVW: Play the piano, sing. I took lessons from Miss Taylor.

BB: Did you work?
VVW: At Vassar College.

BB: What’d you do there?
VVW: In the information bureau.

BB: Did you like it?
VVW: I loved it. We went out for lunch and a walk.

BB: You’ve seen a lot of changes through the years — the phone, cars, computers. What kind of car did you first have?
VVW: An Oldsmobile, 1933.

BB: You also witnessed women getting the right to vote. Were you excited?
VVW: No, that didn’t impress me.

BB: Any foods you especially love?
VVW: Hot dogs.

BB: Did you enjoy them at ball games?
VVW: No, I don’t like sports.

BB: Why?
VVW: Too competitive.

BB: We’re entering a Presidential race. Any favorite candidates?
VVW: The one now. He’s nice.

BB: Well, I hope to be invited to celebrate your birthday.
VVW: So do I. (She knocks her head while speaking.)

Source: http://www.hvmag.com/Hudson-Valley-Magazine/Vera-Van-Wagner-Supercentenarian/

:D

• Like 2

Third-oldest American, Helen Ida Wheat, dies at 113. According to records kept by the Gerontology Research Group. she was 15th oldest person in the world.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/02/17/third-oldest-american-dies-113/80516666/

I wonder how many Edwardians will be alive when the last Victorian finally drops.

• Like 1

Wiki list Yiseael Kristal as the world's oldest man but do state that he has not been verified because of his lack of documentation from early in his life. He has not been picked in the DDP.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-supercentenarian-ruth-adler-111-dies-20160312-story.html

A local supercentenarian, 111 year old Ruth Adler has died.

Posting this because supercentenarian deaths are always in bunches. Those in Shaun's DP will be happy to soon cash in on those Jones or Morano jokers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-supercentenarian-ruth-adler-111-dies-20160312-story.html

A local supercentenarian, 111 year old Ruth Adler has died.

Posting this because supercentenarian deaths are always in bunches. Those in Shaun's DP will be happy to soon cash in on those Jones or Morano jokers.

Not sure I buy the 'bunches' thing, but if so it's been bunches of Americans. So Old Susannah best get ready. As for Emma, prepare to be the last of the 1800s.

SC

Wiki list Yisrael Kristal as the world's oldest man but do state that he has not been verified because of his lack of documentation from early in his life. He has not been picked in the DDP.

Now verified: http://armenpress.am/eng/news/839038/auschwitz-survivor-becomes-oldest-man-of-the-world.html

Was his pre-emigration name Ypoland? Heh, just kidding. ;) It's remarkable that he was already 100+ when this thread started almost 13 years ago. Makes Bob Hope's longevity seem so unimpressive.

And Susannah Mushatt Jones was an astounding 104 years old back then!

• Like 1

Wiki list Yisrael Kristal as the world's oldest man but do state that he has not been verified because of his lack of documentation from early in his life. He has not been picked in the DDP.

Now verified: http://armenpress.am/eng/news/839038/auschwitz-survivor-becomes-oldest-man-of-the-world.html

Was his pre-emigration name Ypoland? Heh, just kidding. ;) It's remarkable that he was already 100+ when this thread started almost 13 years ago. Makes Bob Hope's longevity seem so unimpressive.

And Susannah Mushatt Jones was an astounding 104 years old back then!

I was shopping for furniture today and thought about my elderly neighbour and family members. At some point, they each said that they are not going to buy new furniture anymore because they're not going to live long enough to make it worth it. But I like to imagine that if I am going to reach my 90th birthday, I am going to think that I still have 30 years before me. Just to imagine, already 90 years old and still 30 more years...

I was shopping for furniture today and thought about my elderly neighbour and family members. At some point, they each said that they are not going to buy new furniture anymore because they're not going to live long enough to make it worth it.

I don't really understand the thinking there. It's not like buying something as an investment (like a painting), or something that's going to improve with age (like fine wine). Buying new furniture is something you do if the old stuff is knackered, surely? You want something more comfortable, or something that looks smarter than the old furniture. You enjoy the benefits right away.

I was shopping for furniture today and thought about my elderly neighbour and family members. At some point, they each said that they are not going to buy new furniture anymore because they're not going to live long enough to make it worth it.

I don't really understand the thinking there. It's not like buying something as an investment (like a painting), or something that's going to improve with age (like fine wine). Buying new furniture is something you do if the old stuff is knackered, surely? You want something more comfortable, or something that looks smarter than the old furniture. You enjoy the benefits right away.

I guess it IS a sort of investment, into the future, i.e. saving the money for the children.

I guess it IS a sort of investment, into the future, i.e. saving the money for the children.

I meant investments that go up in value over time. Certain types of antique furniture might do that, but it's a gamble as fashions change.

I meant investments that go up in value over time. Certain types of antique furniture might do that, but it's a gamble as fashions change.

Remember hearing an old bloke from Sheffield discussing some painting he'd had done in his loungue and saying; "Aye, it'll see us out!"

It did

Oldest man in the Netherlands Wim Hendriks died today at 107.

Remember hearing an old bloke from Sheffield discussing some painting he'd had done in his loungue and saying; "Aye, it'll see us out!"

It did

In a similar sort of way, I sort of have always calculated my remaining time on this plain , by the number of haircuts I have to go.

Always hated the barbers, so used to count 2 a year, aged 20 I would've probably said 100 left.

Now I'm 49 that is well less.

Having said that, I ain't had one since 2014 :) , but that is more to do with not giving a fuck, as opposed to staving off impending doom.

Good way to measure your span in my humble....